Yankees ask about Rowand

TLAK

To all you guys that think Anderson would step in and put up similar numbers to Rowand, let's take a look at something.  I'm shocked noone has made this point yet.  Jeremy Reed was the next coming superstar before he was included in the Garcia deal.  He had a half season of ML experience in 2004 after being shipped to M's.  So, how did his 2005 numbers compare to Rowand?

Reed - .254 3HR 45RBI .322OBP .352SLG .674OPS

ARow - .270 13HR 69RBI .329OBP .407SLG .736OPS

Reed came in below Rowand in every catagory.  He was much more ballyhooed as a prospec than Anderson is now.  Reed had a half season experience under his belt as well, so he knew what to expect more than Anderson will.  I say it's very very possible that Anderson's numbers come in under Jeremy Reed's if he's given CF next year.  In fact, Rowand has a better chance of achieving Rowand's 2004 numbers than Anderson has at achieving Rowand's 2005 numbers.

So because Jeremy Reed ended up being a bust with no power whatsoever, Brian Anderson will do the same? Reed was a highly touted prospect but there's probably a reason Kenny decided he was worth giving up for Freddy Garcia. Maybe Kenny saw more upside in Anderson than Reed. Just because Reed was a bust doesn't mean Anderson will be. Just as easily as you can say Anderson will perform like Reed, I could say Anderson will perform more like Jonny Gomes or Nick Swisher.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 03:57 AM)
To all you guys that think Anderson would step in and put up similar numbers to Rowand, let's take a look at something.  I'm shocked noone has made this point yet.  Jeremy Reed was the next coming superstar before he was included in the Garcia deal.  He had a half season of ML experience in 2004 after being shipped to M's.  So, how did his 2005 numbers compare to Rowand?

Reed came in below Rowand in every catagory.  He was much more ballyhooed as a prospec than Anderson is now.  Reed had a half season experience under his belt as well, so he knew what to expect more than Anderson will.  I say it's very very possible that Anderson's numbers come in under Jeremy Reed's if he's given CF next year.  In fact, Rowand has a better chance of achieving Rowand's 2004 numbers than Anderson has at achieving Rowand's 2005 numbers.

Very good point, those are basically the sort of numbers I would expect Anderson to put up.

While most of the talk about a big bat has centered around Delgado via a trade, no one has mentioned Bobby Abreu [who has been mentioned as being shopped--though he has a no trade clause--maybe the Venezuelan would also agree to play for Ozzie].

Now, if a deal centered around Rowand and Marte [plus others] could net Abreu, any disagreements there? He could DH and play RF

Delgado just doesn't do it for me. I could see him being very unhappy being traded away from FLA

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 07:57 PM)

You gotta remember this though YAS, Reed plays half his games at Safeco Field and virtually has no power at the moment. He hit no home runs at all there this season. Anderson on the other hand, if he played everyday could hit 15-20 HR's still, since he plays half his games at the Cell.

As for your point on Rowand having a better chance to return to his 2004 numbers, that may be the case, but I still like Anderson's long - term scope better than Rowand's. And if we have to fill a need via a trade, and a team wants Rowand, I've got no hesitation at all giving him up.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)
how in the world can you assume brian anderson's numbers in 2006 by looking at the mariners centerfielder's numbers in 2005?

Before the Freddy Garcia trade, Jeremy Reed was basically what Brian Anderson is right for the White Sox. He was the next big thing to come in centerfield, and very similar to Brian Anderson.

His numbers in Charlotte in '04 were similar to Brian Anderson's last year, except he had many less AB's because of the trade, and struck out much less. His overall numbers in AAA (both in Tacoma and Charlotte) were quite similar to Brian Anderson's last year, and while they are different players, you can make an educated guess that their numbers would be similar in their first year in the bigs.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
You gotta remember this though YAS, Reed plays half his games at Safeco Field and virtually has no power at the moment. He hit no home runs at all there this season. Anderson on the other hand, if he played everyday could hit 15-20 HR's still, since he plays half his games at the Cell.

As for your point on Rowand having a better chance to return to his 2004 numbers, that may be the case, but I still like Anderson's long - term scope better than Rowand's. And if we have to fill a need via a trade, and a team wants Rowand, I've got no hesitation at all giving him up.

IIRC, Reed was playing hurt this year, too. Something wrong with his wrists, I think...

Beck -- one concern with Abreu is that he's a pretty bad outfielder, and that's only going to get worse now that he's what, 32 years old? 31?

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
Before the Freddy Garcia trade, Jeremy Reed was basically what Brian Anderson is right  for the White Sox.  He was the next big thing to come in centerfield, and very similar to Brian Anderson.

His numbers in Charlotte in '04 were similar to Brian Anderson's last year, except he had many less AB's because of the trade, and struck out much less.  His overall numbers in AAA (both in Tacoma and Charlotte) were quite similar to Brian Anderson's last year, and while they are different players, you can make an educated guess that their numbers would be similar in their first year in the bigs.

isnt anderson considered a much bigger power prospect than reed? i guess my only point is that it seemed reed was just on an amazing (maybe even lucky although i hesitate to use that word) streak-for average his two big years in the sox farm system. anderson never seemed to be playing over his head and hit more homers....but you could be right.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)
isnt anderson considered a much bigger power prospect than reed?  i guess my only point is that it seemed reed was just on an amazing (maybe even lucky although i hesitate to use that word)  streak-for average his two big years in the sox farm system.  anderson never seemed to be playing over his head and hit more homers....but you could be right.

ding ding ding...this is exactly right. reed is a fine player, but hes an average guy who plays great D in center. Anderson is gonna be more of a power hitting corner guy...similar to dye. anderson imo will have a year like crede has had recently if he plays everyday. .240-.260 17-21 HR

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 04:02 AM)
So because Jeremy Reed ended up being a bust with no power whatsoever, Brian Anderson will do the same?  Reed was a highly touted prospect but there's probably a reason Kenny decided he was worth giving up for Freddy Garcia.  Maybe Kenny saw more upside in Anderson than Reed.  Just because Reed was a bust doesn't mean Anderson will be.  Just as easily as you can say Anderson will perform like Reed, I could say Anderson will perform more like Jonny Gomes or Nick Swisher.

No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm giving you aomething to put some perspective into this discussion. Guys that come up from AAA and just rake during their rookie years are rare. I'm also not saying that Anderson doesn't have a higher ceiling than Rowand. I'm talking about 2006. I've been watching this game for a long time and I've too many "can't miss" rookies "miss" terribly. The odds of Anderson matching Rowand's 2005 numbers in 2006 are slim.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 06:14 PM)
No, I'm not saying that at all.  I'm giving you aomething to put some perspective into this discussion.  Guys that come up from AAA and just rake during their rookie years are rare.  I'm also not saying that Anderson doesn't have a higher ceiling than Rowand.  I'm talking about 2006.  I've been watching this game for a long time and I've too many "can't miss" rookies "miss" terribly.  The odds of Anderson matching Rowand's 2005 numbers in 2006 are slim.

Good point, were still waiting on Rowand to rake (even though he came up from AA). Actually when Reed was traded, there was a article in BA and quotes from several scouts and Sox scouts on how Anderson was actually better than Reed at that time, and would of surpassed him as the best prospect by the beggining of that following year. KW is no dumb ass, he got something that was and will be valuable for us in the long run.

Anderson and Reed are totally different types of players though so its totally an unfair comparison. And Anderson always had more potential than Reed which is one of the reasons Reed was traded.

Like someone else said Anderson hit 2 HR's in 1 game in Seattle...... So really its not even a question if Anderson will post a higher OPS than Reed. And he can be close to Rowand's OBP.... hell Reed was pretty close to Rowand if you look at their OBP.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:28 PM)
The ultimate trade would be Pierre and Delgado for Rowand, Anderson and someone else, but that's just dreaming.

Pierre can't hit - no thanks. The Marlins have been looking for an upgrade in CF for a year. The Marlins are great at hyping their stiffs that they want to trade (if you listened to them in July, AJ Burnett was Roger Clemens)

We have a lot of young outfielders in the minors; we should use the surplus to strengthen weaknesses, like offense.

I don't know whether or not Anderson can hit ML pitching. But it's pretty clear that he can play good D. But I do know that we need to either use players like Anderson or trade them; don't let them rot on the vine like Schueler did. And right now, Rowand is our best trading chit and the Yankees seem enthralled with him (although that would take a 3 way deal as they have nothing we need). Only Young and McCarthy should be untouchables, imo.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Nov 13, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
We have a lot of young outfielders in the minors; we should use the surplus to strengthen weaknesses, like offense.

We also seem to have a surplus of pitchers, and several more in the minors that can be of trade value. PLus, more teams are looking for pitching, so we may be able to get a premium for some of ours. Has Garland's stock even been higher? Don't get me wrong, I like Johnny, but for the right player, I think we could replace him.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Nov 13, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
We also seem to have a surplus of pitchers, and several more in the minors that can be of trade value.  PLus, more teams are looking for pitching, so we may be able to get a premium for some of ours.  Has Garland's stock even been higher? Don't get me wrong, I like Johnny, but for the right player, I think we could replace him.

Do we have any guys who are ready to replace Garland in the rotation? No. Do we have any guys who are ready to replace Rowand? Yes.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 03:06 AM)
Do we have any guys who are ready to replace Garland in the rotation? No. Do we have any guys who are ready to replace Rowand? Yes.

Who, Anderson? He did well in his brief appearances, but so did McCarthy in his second stint. Seems most people on here were pretty upset he didn't make the playoff roster(s). He would be as ready to come up for good as Anderson.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Nov 13, 2005 -> 10:50 PM)
Who, Anderson?  He did well in his brief appearances, but so did McCarthy in his second stint.  Seems most people on here were pretty upset he didn't make the playoff roster(s).  He would be as ready to come up for good as Anderson.

It's much easier to replace .270 13 70 .736 with good-great defense in CF than it is to replace 18-10 with a 3.50 ERA and a 1.17 WHIP in the rotation.

Anderson plays poor to mediocre, and he's putting up a .650-.700 OPS, hitting 8th or 9th...and plays well, and he's in Rowand's range, give or take a few points of OPS.

I'm not a huge fan of having Anderson start this year...I'd much rather take the Chase Utley route with him and having him be a supersub all over to see if he is ready, and if/when he is ready to take over full-time, to have a better idea of who to move to make room for him.

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Nov 13, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)
Pierre can't hit - no thanks.  The Marlins have been looking for an upgrade in CF for a year.  The Marlins are great at hyping their stiffs that they want to trade (if you listened to them in July, AJ Burnett was Roger Clemens)

I don't know whether or not Anderson can hit ML pitching.  But it's pretty clear that he can play good D.  But I do know that we need to either use players like Anderson or trade them; don't let them rot on the vine like Schueler did.  And right now, Rowand is our best trading chit and the Yankees seem enthralled with him (although that would take a 3 way deal as they have nothing we need).  Only Young and McCarthy should be untouchables, imo.

Before this year pierre had one of the highest batting averages in all of baseball in his time spand... yet he cannot hit. How do you define a good hitter? Ops? It is awfully annoying when people look at a lead-off hitters ops. Lead off hitters are not there for the homers many do not has great gap power. Arguably the greatest lead-off hitter to ever play the game was just .820. Most lead-off men will have an ops south of .750.

Juan pierre is far from a stiff. If you think he is i would love to know what you thought about podsednik before the season. But i don't think you will end up telling the full truth at this point...