JUAN PIERRE

JUGGERNAUT

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

white sox interactive users must be on crack because they are speculating YOUNG and NEAL COTTS for pierre

LMAO

It doesn't surprise me some of them are speculating that. :lolhitting

Florida wants two things, they want bullpen help (badly) and they want talented young players who are ready to contribute.

It all depends if Pierre agrees to a contract extension. If not, the price is cheaper because it's a likely one year rental.

This should play itself out in the next 10 days, but I see a bullpen guy and an OF for Pierre and something from the Marlins farm system coming back.

You guys don't want to hear this, but the White Sox are going for it, they are not in the business of developing prospects. They have one extra top OF prospect and I suspect one will be traded.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
It doesn't surprise me some of them are speculating that.  :lolhitting

Florida wants two things, they want bullpen help (badly) and they want talented young players who are ready to contribute.

It all depends if Pierre agrees to a contract extension.  If not, the price is cheaper because it's a likely one year rental. 

This should play itself out in the next 10 days, but I see a bullpen guy and an OF for Pierre and something from the Marlins farm system coming back.

You guys don't want to hear this, but the White Sox are going for it, they are not in the business of developing prospects.  They have one extra top OF prospect and I suspect one will be traded.

I think it pans out after Furcal signs, then Pierre is more valuable since there's one less leadoff hitter on the market

Lately I've become kinda fascinated by hitters' averages when hitting behind in the count as Gooch was often asked to do last year hitting behind Pods. Pierre's career BAs when:

0-0: .332

0-1: .309

0-2: .262 (pretty good)

1-2: .233 (what's up with that?)

2-2: .286

3-2: .365

1-0: .326

2-0: .324

2-1: .318

I don't understand the average in the 1-2 count, as in how the heck is it worse than the 0-2 count? Just an interesting tidbit. I kinda like my Brady Clark idea from the who's next thread, but it all depends on what each person would cost in terms of players. BA would be fine too, but I'm just thinking in terms of a new #2 hitter.

Edited by Frank the Tank 35

QUOTE(hi8is @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
white sox interactive users must be on crack because they are speculating YOUNG and NEAL COTTS for pierre

LMAO

duhhhhhhhhh

I want to punch that website in the face right now....

I can hear it now.. "But Young strikes out a lot"... "But Cotts walks too many people"

The only thing that makes me angrier is this 30-something page thread.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
Lately I've become kinda fascinated by hitters' averages when hitting behind in the count as Gooch was often asked to do last year hitting behind Pods.  Pierre's career BAs when:

0-0: .332

0-1: .309

0-2: .262 (pretty good)

1-2: .233 (what's up with that?)

2-2: .286

3-2: .365

1-0: .326

2-0: .324

2-1: .318

I don't understand the average in the 1-2 count, as in how the heck is it better than the 0-2 count? Just an interesting tidbit.  I kinda like my Brady Clark idea from the who's next thread, but it all depends on what each person would cost in terms of players.  BA would be fine too, but I'm just thinking in terms of a new #2 hitter.

Did I miss something? .233 smaller than .262.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:12 PM)
I want to punch that website in the face right now....

I can hear it now.. "But Young strikes out a lot"... "But Cotts walks too many people"

The only thing that makes me angrier is this 30-something page thread.

Then stop posting in it. :lol:

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
But Jeckle says he's the worst player of the modern era? :huh

Before you go putting words in my mouth...

I never said he was the worst player of the modern era... However with his crappy defense, and the fact that he's Pods black twin brother on offense, and considering he's going to make over 5 million dollars...

There is just no fit for him on this team period...

Defensively it goes:

Anderson/Young>>>>Pierre>Owens for CF next year...

No matter what they might do offensively the Sox need defense at that position first and for most...

Honestly Chris Young should be the one who's given the CF job, but I won't be upset if they give it to Anderson... Owens might make a decent LF with Pods in CF... But under no circumstances will such an expensive option as Pierre be added to this team...

If were going to be in the market for expensive defensively challanged CF's lets just get Ken Griffey...

QUOTE(maki @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
new rumor has pierre headed to the yanks.  as reported by espn radio this morning.  don't know what show it was on.  for henn and proctor.

I already noted this in the FA Thread...Here's the post... the original article was in the NY Post this mornin.

Now, Pierre could be returning to The Bronx as the Yankees’ center-fielder. The cash-dumping Marlins have asked for lefty Sean Henn and right-handed reliever Scott Proctor for Pierre, and the Yankees didn’t reject the offer.

When the Marlins started dumping salary by trading Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell to the Red Sox and Carlos Delgado to the Mets, the Yankees seemed cool on acquiring the 28-year-old Pierre.

However, with only Bubba Crosby to replace Bernie Williams, the Yankees have

been keeping tabs on who’s available...

According to several Sources, the Marlins also are shopping Pierre to Texas for pitching prospects and perhaps outfielder Laynce Nix, who annoyed Ranger brass by not playing winter ball after missing a good part of the season with an injury.

When the other center fielders available are presented, Pierre stacks up. The Angels are shopping Darin Erstad and Steve Finley. The Dodgers are expected to trade Milton Bradley before Dec. 20. The Phillies asked for Chien-Ming Wang, possibly the Yankees’ No. 3 starter, for Jason Michaels, who never has been a regular player. Carl Pavano’s name surfaced yesterday in a possible deal for Michaels. Tampa Bay could move Joey Gathright but he is raw.

Unless Johnny Damon’s wishes for a seven-year contract decrease, the Yankees aren’t interested.

The gamble in it for the Yankees is Henn. He is a 24-year-old lefty they thought enough of to promote from Double-A to the big leagues for an emergency start when Randy Johnson was scratched in May. In three games Henn was 0-3 with an 11.12 ERA. He was 5-5 with a respectable 3.23 ERA in 16 games for Columbus and 2-1 with an 0.71 ERA in four games for Double-A Trenton.

However, the emergence of Wang and the chance that RHP Phil Hughes, the No. 1 pick in 2004, could be ready for the big leagues in 2007, softens the blow of losing Henn.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
This coming from a person who says he doesnt follow the minors at all.  Hmm....

I don't know except what I read...

But from what I read they are both equal on defense, but Young has better speed and more power... plus Anderson is more fragile... It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which one projects to be the better player...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
I don't know except what I read...

But from what I read they are both equal on defense, but Young has better speed and more power... plus Anderson is more fragile... It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which one projects to be the better player...

Well good thing we can base defensive ability on things we've read. I'm sure people are going to take your opinion seriously when you say you dont follow the minor leagues at all but when you're trying to make a case for a player you like or don't like well then of course you know everything about these minor leaguers.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
Can I ask how much of Pierre you have actually seen? I am not saying he is good one way or the other, because I dont watch much NL baseball, let alone Marlin baseball. But based on your very strong opinions, it seems like you know ALOT about the topic.....

Actually the Marlins are my second favorite team... and I have seen alot of Marlins games...

The flat out fact of the matter is that he doesn't fit our payroll... He doesn't fit our style of play... He just doesn't fit with the Sox...

I'm sure he might be a really nice guy... He's just not a defensive player...

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
Well good thing we can base defensive ability on things we've read.  I'm sure people are going to take your opinion seriously when you say you dont follow the minor leagues at all but when you're trying to make a case for a player you like or don't like well then of course you know everything about these minor leaguers.

Again I never claimed to know everything, or for that matter anything about them... But the only thing I have to go on is what I read on websites, since I have no chance to see these guys play everyday.

I never said I didn't like Gio Gonzalez... I just said I didn't give a crap about him... Especially in regards to a trade for a superstar like Jim Thome.

By that same token I have no alliance to either Young or Anderson. Let them battle out for the job in spring training. However every website on the internet projects Young to be the better player. So like I said it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see who should get the job on paper... Then again jobs aren't won on paper...