What's going to happen to the Big Hurt?

timotime

We,, we've got Thome. Assuming we also get Kong, what will happen to Frank?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. We,, we've got Thome. Assuming we also get Kong, what will happen to Frank?

• We resign Frank for less, he fills in when we need him
    • Bye-bye, Frank
    • Make the Big Hurt a bench coach!

Can't see him on Oakland, I actually think they'll bring Hatteberg back with Johnson, as crazy as that sounds, they really value Scott's leadership and intangibles over there though.

So that leaves Baltimore, but after you've seen what happened to Sammy Sosa in 2005, do you want to take another chance on a veteran who's reaching the end of his career?

Frank is going to have to show he is healthy before he gets a contract. That won't be for some time, if ever. I would think AL teams that don't get the big bats they were looking at this winter may have an interest in him right before spring training. Oakland, Baltimore, Minnesota, there will be several teams that will be willing to take a chance if the price is right and he is physically capable of playing, which is going to be the biggest question.

I need one more variable to make my vote: will Frank be 100% (or as close as he can be at his age) before ST? If he is healthy, he's gone. If he's still recovering we have a chance to sign him to a minor (league) deal. If he's healthy, he has to start, but he would have no where to play. If he was still injured, perhaps he could be convinced to stay on with the club, rehabilitate and then be promised playing time at a later venture. Kenny did what he had to do, which was the smart thing, and brought in Thome. But if he is healthy, some other team will take him, and if he can play through the whole season (I know... a big if), he's gonna park at least 40. The thought of the Hurt putting up those numbers in another uniform pains me a great deal. So therefore, thinking with my heart not my head, I've come up with this novel idea: Sign Giles not Konerko and bring back Frank. Yes, I have been strictly against bringing Giles in but this would preserve the possibility of Frank's return. If Frank can't come back, Dye could move to 1B if Thome can't play the field. How's this lineup work for you: Pods, Gooch, Giles, Thomas, Thome, Dye, AJ, Crede, Uribe. Perfect LRLRLRLRR matchups. Anyway, my head tells me Thome + Konerko is the safer, more logical, and more probable choice. It just pains the hell out of me knowing Frank is probably done in a Sox uniform. :crying

QUOTE($I Need Money$ @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
Frank thomas will be back with the White Sox

And where would he play? He's not being our 1B, and I should hope Thome isnt either with his recent injuries, and we shouldn't, and he won't, just sit on the bench. If he's going to play next year, its somewhere where he thinks he can get a shot at 500 HR's, not to just sit on the bench.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
Can you say hitting coach?

no, while i dont like greg walker, frank would not work as hitting coach. Frank is/was a great hitter but he is not fundamentally sound, never was. He did things his own way at the plate.

Then again, you might not have been serious. :P :lol:

I think frank is gone. It's best for the team. He would not remain healthy if he played.

Edited by Chisoxmatt

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
I've been suggesting that when Frank is done playing that he become the hitting coach for the team. He was only one of the best hitters in all of baseball, so he may know a thing or to about hitting.

This is not a bad idea, as he's been known to help other guys on the team with hitting even this year (Uribe)

I mention during the season that i wish that frank would retire. i know i got flame for that statement. i will say this again, frank has a wonderful career, shorten by injuries and i hope he will retire as a sox. this reminds me of the carlton fisk deliema where fisk would not realize his career ran its course.