Crede, Garland, Pierzynski

VAfan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
There is such a thing as reading too far in to what others are saying, and I have to say that this is a classic example of that, VAfan.  Who said that Jon Garland is at the zenith of his career?  Who said that this is as good as he is ever going to be?  You keep confusing "We can trade Jon Garland for MAX value right now" with "Jon Garland isnt going to get any better, therefore we must trade him.".  Noone said Garland sucks,  Noone said Garland isnt going to get any better. 

What everyone else is doing right now, besides you, is stepping back and realizing that Jon Garland probably doesnt see himself staying with the White Sox past his arbitration years because of a multitude(hawkism!) of reasons, among them being A) the White Sox are not going to be in a position to pay him what he will command in the open market, B ) He is a SoCal native, C) He has been jerked around by the White Sox organization in the past, D) he probably doesnt care for the media perception of him in this town, etc. al.

In other words, it probably isnt in the cards.  Now the White Sox have to make a business decision and attempt to fortify positions for the future because they have extra pitching right now.  This team is damn good, and trading Jon away isnt going to change the face of the team. 

This isnt to say that something will not be done.  KW could be posturing and something could be worked out.  But this isnt a likely scenario.  While i will be sorry to see Garland go, I will certainly understand his reasoning. 

You are far too sentimental about holding on to players.

Well, who turned out to be right about Garland?????

I'm not sentimental at all. If Javier Vazquez were a better pitcher than Garland, I'd be thrilled to have him take Jon's slot in the rotation. Fact is, he isn't close right now, unless Cooper can work a miracle with him.

So, that's two out of three. I don't expect Crede to sign, nor to I expect the Sox to extend him a deal. When I first wrote this I thought Crede was three years from FA. In fact, he's four years away, with 3 years of arbitration ahead. If I were KW, I would try to sign him for those three years and buy myself some cost certainty. But with Crede's back, I can understand not taking the risk. Even so, watch Crede turn in a great year in 2006.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)

I'm not sentimental at all.  If Javier Vazquez were a better pitcher than Garland,  I'd be thrilled to have him take Jon's slot in the rotation.  Fact is, he isn't close right now, unless Cooper can work a miracle with him. 

So, that's two out of three.  I don't expect Crede to sign, nor to I expect the Sox to extend him a deal.  When I first wrote this I thought Crede was three years from FA.  In fact, he's four years away, with 3 years of arbitration ahead.  If I were KW, I would try to sign him for those three years and buy myself some cost certainty.  But with Crede's back, I can understand not taking the risk.  Even so, watch Crede turn in a great year in 2006.

you act like our reasoning wasnt sound. KW issued an ultimatum and Garland responded before Contreras did. It doesnt change the fact that you are overly sentimental about players and engage into extended whinefests when you think one of your guys is going to get traded.

and you still dont understand that noone here wanted Garland traded. Most of the people realized the situation the Sox were in and saw Garland as the moveable commodity because he had already turned down a contract and supposedly the contract talks were over. I never said I didnt want him, but I certainly could recognize what his value was and why the Sox would move him, something you still cannot grasp obviously.

But thanks for the 20/20 flashback.

Edited by kyyle23

And VAFan, how come you didnt read the last paragraph of my post?

This isnt to say that something will not be done.  KW could be posturing and something could be worked out. But this isnt a likely scenario.  While i will be sorry to see Garland go, I will certainly understand his reasoning. 

I said it wasnt likely. Not that it was impossible

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
you act like our reasoning wasnt sound.  KW issued an ultimatum and Garland responded before Contreras did.  It doesnt change the fact that you are overly sentimental about players and engage into extended whinefests when you think one of your guys is going to get traded.

and you still dont understand that noone here wanted Garland traded.  Most of the people realized the situation the Sox were in and saw Garland as the moveable commodity because he had already turned down a contract and supposedly the contract talks were over.  I never said I didnt want him, but I certainly could recognize what his value was and why the Sox would move him, something you still cannot grasp obviously.

But thanks for the 20/20 flashback.

Nice try, but no cigar.

As I said multiple times, turning down a first contract offer was meaningless. Paul Konerko turned down our first contract offer. Until arbitration, I believed the Sox would continue negotiating with Garland, and either he'd accept a deal the Sox could live with or he wouldn't. That's exactly what happened, isn't it?

A lot of guys on this board ripped me repeatedly and said I didn't have a clue. That Garland wanted to play on the West Coast. That he would never resign here. That he'd been jerked around by managment, etc. You want me to repeat your post below AGAIN???

As for the sentimentality claim, it's totally bogus. I'm for putting the best team on the field. I defend players who perform.

Do you have any argument that Joe Crede, AJ Pierzynski, and Jon Garland didn't perform well for us last year??? Without those 3 guys, we don't have a WS title. But, if someone becomes available who is better than any of them, I'm not going to argue for keeping them.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)

I'm not sentimental at all.  If Javier Vazquez were a better pitcher than Garland,  I'd be thrilled to have him take Jon's slot in the rotation.  Fact is, he isn't close right now, unless Cooper can work a miracle with him. 

So, that's two out of three.  I don't expect Crede to sign, nor to I expect the Sox to extend him a deal.  When I first wrote this I thought Crede was three years from FA.  In fact, he's four years away, with 3 years of arbitration ahead.  If I were KW, I would try to sign him for those three years and buy myself some cost certainty.  But with Crede's back, I can understand not taking the risk.  Even so, watch Crede turn in a great year in 2006.

You remind me of Homer Simpson. "I am so smart. S-M-R-T" :bang

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
A lot of guys on this board ripped me repeatedly and said I didn't have a clue. 

Im willing to bet that opinion hasnt changed after todays little display of childishness. Besides, you still dont get it. Go ahead and repeat my post. But maybe you should try reading it. Because repeatedly posting it without reading it just affirms that YOU DONT GET IT.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
What everyone else is doing right now, besides you, is stepping back and realizing that Jon Garland probably doesnt see himself staying with the White Sox past his arbitration years because of a multitude(hawkism!) of reasons, among them being A) the White Sox are not going to be in a position to pay him what he will command in the open market, B ) He is a SoCal native, C) He has been jerked around by the White Sox organization in the past, D) he probably doesnt care for the media perception of him in this town, etc. al.

In other words, it probably isnt in the cards.  Now the White Sox have to make a business decision and attempt to fortify positions for the future because they have extra pitching right now.  This team is damn good, and trading Jon away isnt going to change the face of the team. 

Okay. Here's what you said again. Are you suggesting this doesn't say that Garland isn't going to re-sign with us?