Restocking The Lefties

AddisonStSox

Before any flaming, let me preface this by signing I haven't got nearly the insight many of the regulars to this particular forum have, nor do I pretend to have it, I'm simply throwing something out there and curious as to its possibility.

Let's just say, for arguments sake ;) , Damaso Marte and Ozzie Guillen cannot co-exist on the same 2006 roster. Yeah, what a stretch, I know. Knowing this, Kenny has found himself in a "must move" situation with Marte. Historically, players that must be traded for whatever reason tend to net far less in value because potential partners realize they are in the cat-bird's seat. Ok, we all know this. However, I'd argue with the way this off-season reliever market is shaping up, Marte's trade-value is just as high now as it would be if he weren't in a "must move" spot. With that in mind, how probable would a trade of Damaso Marte to another club for an upper-tier left-handed pitching prospect or two...yes, or two. Whether we are for the guy or against him, I think it's pretty fair to say he remains amongst the top 5-10% of effective lefties out of the pen, and, for that reason, should net a fair amount via trade.

My proposition:

-Trade Damaso Marte for two left-handed prospects that posses either near-MLB-ready stuff or serious potential...perhaps one "can't miss" and another "project" or "sleeper" of sorts.

-Sign Mike Myers. Look at his lefty splits...they are devastating. Not only are last year's very impressive, the numbers from the past three-to-four seasons are equally as comforting. 2Y/$3M gets it done

A) How likely is this situation? Is this something Williams and co. are comfortable with given their history?

B ) Give me some names. Give me some names of lefties you guys think may match-up in this exact trade. I'm nowhere near as in-tune to the prospect world as you all and I'm genuinely curious.

Rock on.

-Trade Damaso Marte for two left-handed prospects that posses either near-MLB-ready stuff or serious potential...perhaps one "can't miss" and another "project" or "sleeper" of sorts.

Why would a team trade TWO lefties that have "near-ready stuff" for Marte?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)

Of course that sounds great from our side.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 05:54 AM)
We'll be re-stocking in the draft. Of course we did so well from that draft last year getting Gio, Lumsden, Liotta, Whisler (albeit he hasn't been good) building up that depth in the first place.

You're a year off there. :P

Our lefty depth will depend a lot on the development of Liotta and Ryan Rodgriguez, who I think is poised to have a great year. In addition, Lumsden getting healthy and Whisler figuring things out, all go a long way.

Hell, might as well include Malone in this as well. We have some high-ceiling lefties, hopefully a couple reach that potential.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 07:31 AM)
They will go back into the draft and select arms once again, early rounds, late rounds, doesnt matter.  it seems to be working for us.

I'd say we've been better off lately with our arms picked in the late rounds than in the early rounds, wouldn't you? Our starting rotation next year should have 2 guys we drafted, 1 in the 17th round and 1 in the 38th round.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 07:28 AM)
Our lefty depth will depend a lot on the development of Liotta and Ryan Rodgriguez, who I think is poised to have a great year.  In addition, Lumsden getting healthy and Whisler figuring things out, all go a long way.

Hell, might as well include Malone in this as well.  We have some high-ceiling lefties, hopefully a couple reach that potential.

I just hope Lummy can get healthy cause the Kid has an arm. Liotta will hopefully improve and Rodriguez has kind of been hovering (ocassionally going on some hot streaks). I think Rodriguez would be the guy in the minors that I'd think is destined for a breakout year.

He has a good pitchers build, good stuff, but hasn't put it all together yet. As far as Whisler goes, I just hope I was wrong and that somehow he will figure things out.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
I'd say we've been better off lately with our arms picked in the late rounds than in the early rounds, wouldn't you?  Our starting rotation next year should have 2 guys we drafted, 1 in the 17th round and 1 in the 38th round.

DRAFT.AND.FOLLOW.

These are hardly guys who got paid like late rounders.

The guys Ill be watching next season is Malone and Lumsden.... and I guess Liotta too. Lumsden has been injured his whole minor league career so far right?

Anyways in response to the original poster.... why do people think we can give up an avg. player at best and get 2 stud prospects in return?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
I just hope Lummy can get healthy cause the Kid has an arm.  Liotta will hopefully improve and Rodriguez has kind of been hovering (ocassionally going on some hot streaks).  I think Rodriguez would be the guy in the minors that I'd think is destined for a breakout year.

He has a good pitchers build, good stuff, but hasn't put it all together yet.  As far as Whisler goes, I just hope I was wrong and that somehow he will figure things out.

I'll have to agree with you and Randar on Rodriguez. I'm definitely thinking this could be his year, kinda like Haigwood last year.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
The guys Ill be watching next season is Malone and Lumsden.... and I guess Liotta too.  Lumsden has been injured his whole minor league career so far right?

Anyways in response to the original poster.... why do people think we can give up an avg. player at best and get 2 stud prospects in return?

I'm especially looking forward to how Liotta does next season, and whether he can keep the good ERA up in the higher levels.

His K/BB ratio at Winston Salem wasn't great, despite his good record there.

looking down the road, we are set with prospects at ss, but is there one for 2b and fields at 3b kind of scares me. we are set at 1b with what we have in paulie and thome. i feel comfortable with prospect at cat and the of.

but i am looking at the pitching and what can develop in 2 or 3 yrs. we have bmac major league ready what is left???? i know we are looking at prospect and hoping for a break out yr. but in 3 yrs time we might loose garland, cont and herandez. we gain one in bmac. so we and i mean this as a way to explore the possiblitiy when it is there, need to make trades for pitching prospect when it is there.

does that mean, jon garland is avail, or some of our prize minor league of'er ?

QUOTE(LDF @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 06:40 AM)
looking down the road, we are set with prospects at ss, but is there one for 2b and fields at 3b kind of scares me. we are set at 1b with what we have in paulie and thome. i feel comfortable with prospect at cat and the of.

We are...?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 07:08 AM)
We are...?

i think we are with valido prospering and in the wings is lopez.

granted in a worst case scenerio, if needed we can see a lite hitting ss until we get one via fa's if needed.

what are your thoughts

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 06:47 PM)
I really don't consider Lopez much of a prospect.  His career minor league SLG% is .329, and combined at Charlotte/Birmingham last year, his OBP hovered around .270.  At this point, he'll be lucky to crack the bigs (again) as a defensive replacement.

i agree with you on his offensive upside. you won't see me arguing that with anyone. :D

but if valido doesn't pan out and the sox need someone to shore up the "d", lopez is it.

hownever i am looking at the future and where we stand. its going to take what 3 or 4 yrs to develop a minor leaguer for the bigs, that is if he is skilled. we are going to have a retool our pitching as well. where are we with contracts for our key players. it looks like 2 to 3 yrs down the road some of our key players contracts are up. we are going to need help.

I think long term...Valido will be the better of the two defensively. I still question whether Valido will hit at higher levels, but he has the abilities. The thing that I like most about him are his smarts. The guy just knows what to do with the baseball on the field. He looks more like a guy the Twins would bring up in years past in the sense that he knows what to do with the ball, is heady on the basepaths and seems to be able to use all fields.

He still needs to produce in AA before we start annoiting him a great SS. I think upside wise, he would be a slappy SS with 10-15 HR pop and 30-50 stolen bases (probably closer to 30). I don't know if he'll win a gold glove, but he has the tools to be an above average defensive SS and I don't think he'll ever win the batting title.

I could see him producing a .280-310 AVG, 10-15 HR, 30-50 SB with a .360ish OBP. Ie, I could see him turning into a pretty darn good leadoff or 2 hole hitter. That said these are really ridiculous estimates right now because he's simply played in A ball. If he produces like he did this past season in Bham, than I'll stand by those projetcions.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)
I think long term...Valido will be the better of the two defensively.  I still question whether Valido will hit at higher levels, but he has the abilities.  The thing that I like most about him are his smarts.  The guy just knows what to do with the baseball on the field.  He looks more like a guy the Twins would bring up in years past in the sense that he knows what to do with the ball, is heady on the basepaths and seems to be able to use all fields. 

He still needs to produce in AA before we start annoiting him a great SS.  I think upside wise, he would be a slappy SS with 10-15 HR pop and 30-50 stolen bases (probably closer to 30).  I don't know if he'll win a gold glove, but he has the tools to be an above average defensive SS and I don't think he'll ever win the batting title.

I could see him producing a .280-310 AVG, 10-15 HR, 30-50 SB with a .360ish OBP.  Ie, I could see him turning into a pretty darn good leadoff or 2 hole hitter.  That said these are really ridiculous estimates right now because he's simply played in A ball.  If he produces like he did this past season in Bham, than I'll stand by those projetcions.

i have never been able to predict or guess hitting from minor to majors. so i will give way to you on this. i however agree with what you said.

i always hope that he can hit 240-260 and with that, can we live with a lite hitting ss who can provide other intangibles to the team.

yes

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
I think long term...Valido will be the better of the two defensively.  I still question whether Valido will hit at higher levels, but he has the abilities.  The thing that I like most about him are his smarts.  The guy just knows what to do with the baseball on the field.  He looks more like a guy the Twins would bring up in years past in the sense that he knows what to do with the ball, is heady on the basepaths and seems to be able to use all fields. 

He still needs to produce in AA before we start annoiting him a great SS.  I think upside wise, he would be a slappy SS with 10-15 HR pop and 30-50 stolen bases (probably closer to 30).  I don't know if he'll win a gold glove, but he has the tools to be an above average defensive SS and I don't think he'll ever win the batting title.

I could see him producing a .280-310 AVG, 10-15 HR, 30-50 SB with a .360ish OBP.  Ie, I could see him turning into a pretty darn good leadoff or 2 hole hitter.  That said these are really ridiculous estimates right now because he's simply played in A ball.  If he produces like he did this past season in Bham, than I'll stand by those projetcions.

Lopez has been pushed far too quickly due to his advanced D. If his bat ever catches up to his defense, he'll be valuable as a utility guy, IMO. He really needs to repeat a level at some point in the near future.

IMO, Valido is the ideal #2 hitter for an Ozzie-style team. His approach was very similar to Iguchi's, yet he is a better base-stealer with better speed. I don't think he'll ever hit more than 10-12 HR's (aside from possible USCF inflation), but he will have ~35 doubles and 4 or 5 triples, IMO.

Again, if he can hit anything over about .260, he's a valuable asset due to his defense. Defensively, I think he would have been mentioned for a Gold Glove THIS year had he been in the majors. That is rare for a SS at the lower levels. Many times it is the defense that never develops.

Valido is such a smart player, great kid too. He really is the kind of guy who has that high-IQ intangible that makes him play far above his physical skills, which are not negligible to begin with.

He's going to have a big year in Birmingham, IMO, as the spacious dimensions will really benefit him, similarly to how they may have helped Jerry Owens more than a Sweeney or Chris Young, for example, although Valido has more power than Owens.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
what the fork ever happened to andy gonzalez

Gonzo moved to Second at the break to make room for Pedro Lopez last year he hit .275 with 4 homers and played better Defense at 2nd than Shortstop so maybe that is his future I believe he will start in Birmingham with a promotion to Charlotte

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 09:59 PM)
Gonzo moved to Second at the break to make room for Pedro Lopez last year he hit .275 with 4 homers and played better Defense at 2nd than Shortstop so maybe that is his future I believe he will start in Birmingham with a promotion to Charlotte

Andy has shown more patience in the last year or 2 than he did earlier in his career, but he has lost some of the aggressiveness/power he showed as well.

BHam or Rex, how was he at turning the double play from second?

He has a 3B glove/arm and a 2B bat, part of the problem, IMO.

Edited by Randar68

Unless Uribe just turned 35 or so, why are we worried about who is going to play SS?

If he plays at his current level, I am fine keeping Uribe until he wants to leave Chicago or just can't cut it anymore. I see at least 5/6 more productive years out of Juan on the Southside.