Sox Acquire Javier Vazquez

joeynach

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
I agree.  And I'm fine with him in the bullpen, as long as he is used.  And I suspect that, being the quality pitcher he is and that Ozzie even used Viz alot, B-Mac will get used.  If anything, he can solidify our bullpen as a long relief guy.  Wouldn't be the first time its been done with a young, soon-to-be starter.

Yeah, I'm thinking he's going to be handled like Buehrle was.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:19 AM)
We all have to remember that Garland's impending trip to free agency after 2006 shoots down his trade value a great deal, especially when teams throw 5-year, $50+ million contracts at him.

That's what I think alot of people are underrating. I'm suprised no one has mentioned Garland for Pujols, Bonds, or Texieria.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:19 AM)
We all have to remember that Garland's impending trip to free agency after 2006 shoots down his trade value a great deal, especially when teams throw 5-year, $50+ million contracts at him.

to some teams, but I think to some contending teams it would still be pretty high, if a team has a hole in their rotation and one good pitcher can make a difference next year, his value would still be high

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 02:18 AM)
Being that Tampa would have almost no shot at signing Garland at the end of the year, I don't see why they'd ever trade for him.

Because they have too many OFs and Crawford is unhappy and wants to eventually get paid.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:20 AM)
to some teams, but I think to some contending teams it would still be pretty high, if a team has a hole in their rotation and one good pitcher can make a difference next year, his value would still be high

But those teams aren't going to be willing to give up good major league talent for him else they'll be subtracting from their team. We don't care for Minor league talent at this point except our own(I don't see any more of our OF prospects or pitching being dealt.)

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:16 AM)
I don't really like BMac using a year of service time in the bullpen.  Especially after what he showed at the tail end of last year.

I don't think there's any way that happens. McCarthy will be in the rotation. It sounds like the Sox are picking up all of Vazquez's salary, so someone making big money will be moved from the rotation. The Sox will trade either Contreras or Garland. If the Sox don't think Contreras will pitch well with Hernandez gone, it could very well be him.

Edited by hitlesswonder

Well, we subtract El Duque's $4.5 million for 2006 and add Vazquez's $11.5 million in 2006 and $12.5 million in 2007. So that's $7 million added to our payroll in 2006 and $12.5 million added to our payroll in 2007. I still hope the Diamondbacks are sending us the Yankees $3 million per season for Vazquez's contract. That would make Vazquez's contract a little easier to stomach.

Javier Vazquez - S - Diamondbacks

The White Sox are close to acquiring Javier Vazquez from the Diamondbacks for Chris Young, Orlando Hernandez and a second pitcher, according to CBS SportsLine.

Getting Young alone for Vazquez would make this an excellent deal for the Diamondbacks. In El Duque, they'd get a pitcher who wouldn't be much less effective than Vazquez was last season, although he's far from a good bet to throw 200 innings. Hopefully, White Sox GM Ken Williams is at least getting the Diamondbacks to cover a portion of Vazquez's salary. Dec. 14 - 12:40 am et

I don't like it.

If this belongs somewhere else please move it.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)
Well, we subtract El Duque's $4.5 million for 2006 and add Vazquez's $11.5 million in 2006 and $12.5 million in 2007.  So that's $7 million added to our payroll in 2006 and $12.5 million added to our payroll in 2007.  I still hope the Diamondbacks are sending us the Yankees $3 million per season for Vazquez's contract.  That would make Vazquez's contract a little easier to stomach.

Don't matter to me. I'm not paying it. All I'm supposed to do is go to the ballpark and enjoy the game and I've done my part.

QUOTE(valponick @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)
Javier Vazquez - S - Diamondbacks

The White Sox are close to acquiring Javier Vazquez from the Diamondbacks for Chris Young, Orlando Hernandez and a second pitcher, according to CBS SportsLine.

Getting Young alone for Vazquez would make this an excellent deal for the Diamondbacks. In El Duque, they'd get a pitcher who wouldn't be much less effective than Vazquez was last season, although he's far from a good bet to throw 200 innings. Hopefully, White Sox GM Ken Williams is at least getting the Diamondbacks to cover a portion of Vazquez's salary. Dec. 14 - 12:40 am et

I don't like it.

If this belongs somewhere else please move it.

Those idiots obviously have no clue how bad El Duque was in the regular season.

And don't forget, guys. Because Vazquez demanded a trade, we will have him for 3 years. We will have him signed for 2 years and have arbitration rights to him in 2008. Because he demanded a trade, he gave up his right to become a free agent after 2007.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 02:28 AM)
Well, we subtract El Duque's $4.5 million for 2006 and add Vazquez's $11.5 million in 2006 and $12.5 million in 2007.  So that's $7 million added to our payroll in 2006 and $12.5 million added to our payroll in 2007.  I still hope the Diamondbacks are sending us the Yankees $3 million per season for Vazquez's contract.  That would make Vazquez's contract a little easier to stomach.

Haven't seen anything stating we will be getting cash. With Vazquez, I have us just under $80 million with more than $15 million in deals left to go (if Garland stays).

EDIT: I should say I included buyouts in there. Drop $4 million if you don't count them.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 02:31 AM)
Those idiots obviously have no clue how bad El Duque was in the regular season.

...or how old he is.

By the way, who's gonna start the "El Duque Appreciation Thread" tomorrow?

My entry would go something like..."Hey Duke, thanks for the inning in Boston....and whatever the hell you did to Contreras."

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 06:28 PM)
I still hope the Diamondbacks are sending us the Yankees $3 million per season for Vazquez's contract.  That would make Vazquez's contract a little easier to stomach.

That CBS article made me a little worried on that, but hopefully that's what happens, especially since we're giving up Chris Young here.

But now I'm going to propose something here with Jon Garland. Miguel Tejada. That's right, you can start calling me crazy right now. But if right now we offered, Jon Garland and Joe Crede or Juan Uribe plus a prospect (would have to be top 5) for Tejada, don't you think that's the best offer the O's would have received so far?

And it's actually do-able payroll wise. Garland will make 7-8M in 2006 if he goes thru arbitration. Crede prob 3-4M, and Uribe makes about that, so we only take an extra 1 or 2M. I extremely doubt something like this will occur, but if you're looking at possible trade scenarios for Jon Garland, with the current market, and what teams have, Miggy Tejada looks like a pretty damn good fit.

Now do I like the trade? Well it's going to depend on a number of factors. How good of a player Chris Young turns into (I'm guessing he could eventually be a monster at Chase Field), the reliever we're giving up (I think Baj or Munoz possibly), what we get for Jon Garland, and how Vazquez does for us over the next 3 seasons compared to Jon Garland for what they're making etc.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)

From MLB.com:

The Diamondbacks' refusal to pick up any part of the money owed Vazquez was believed to be a deal breaker for some teams. The Diamondbacks received $9 million from the Yankees to help offset Vazquez's contract when they acquired him last year.

I really think Hernandez doesn't have much value at 4.5M a year. If it is just Young and Hernandez, I think it's likely the Sox pick up the whole deal. If JG gets 7M in arbitration, moving him for prospects makes the moves revenue neutral.

I know people have a lot of faith in Cooper, but I'm just worried Vazquez isn't the pitcher he once was. An ERA of 4.5 in the NL just is not good. Especially for 12M a year.

Edited by hitlesswonder

The way I look at this trade is it basically being Chris Young for Javier Vazquez, if the CBS report that a second pitcher (probably a reliever) is involved is false. We WANTED to dump El Duque and his salary anyways.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
An ERA of 4.5 in the NL just is not good. Especially for 12M a year.

You've got to remember, Chase Field is one of the best hitter's parks in all of baseball right now.

And with the D-Backs pitching wise, no-one other than Brandon Webb really had much success there at all last season. They did bring in a new pitching coach this off - season, and we've seen what Coop has done to the likes of Contreras, I'd like to see if he can continue to work his magic with Vazquez. If Javier can get those HR's given up below 30, in my mind he'll probably have a sub 4 ERA, throw over 200 innings as usual, and record about 200 K's, which is about 50-70 more than Garland.