Crede and Garland to Texas?

GasHeGone

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like how this sounds, Mr. Rosenthal:

What kind of deal would the White Sox want to make for right-hander Jon Garland? Probably one similar to the Marlins' trade of outfielder Juan Pierre, in which the team acquired three young pitchers from the Cubs. The White Sox's farm system is thin at the upper levels after sending left-handers Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Haigwood to the Phillies in the Jim Thome trade. The Orioles, Rangers and Mariners — all teams interested in free-agent right-hander Kevin Millwood — would figure to be in the mix for Garland. ...

i think we should wait to trade him,

and have that blow up in my face if he fails this year...

so REMEMBER THIS POST!!

if i have to eat crow post it

if i was smart as hell, please please please post it

Moronotti item in his column:

Another talked-about option, if the Orioles retain Tejada, is shipping Garland and Joe Crede to Texas for power-hitting third baseman Hank Blalock and center fielder Brad Wilkerson

--No! This would be the one trade I balk at. This trade would and will suck!

You don't dump Crede and Garland. Do that and we have traded TOO MANY of the players who brought us a frickign World Series for the first time in 500 years!

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)
I don't like how this sounds, Mr. Rosenthal:

What kind of deal would the White Sox want to make for right-hander Jon Garland? Probably one similar to the Marlins' trade of outfielder Juan Pierre, in which the team acquired three young pitchers from the Cubs. The White Sox's farm system is thin at the upper levels after sending left-handers Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Haigwood to the Phillies in the Jim Thome trade. The Orioles, Rangers and Mariners — all teams interested in free-agent right-hander Kevin Millwood — would figure to be in the mix for Garland. ...

I think most around here would be disappointed if the White Sox, after so many moves to help their major league club, took a step back to refresh their farm systm.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
I think most around here would be disappointed if the White Sox, after so many moves to help their major league club, took a step back to refresh their farm systm.

I know I would, especially with Kenny's admirable "win now" attitude. If there was a HUGE name to be signed next offseason, I could see us doing something like this: Garland to Dodgers for Billingsley (sp?) and Broxton. Brox to the pen, Billingsley as insurance 6th starter (in minors till called up). Next year we could either trade Contreras or let him go depending on his contract status and have Billingsley be the 5th starter and thus bridging the gap to some of our younger pitching prospects like Broadway to be that 6th starter in '07. However, I don't think the Cubs are gonna let DLee go, not that we would have a place for him, and I don't think "disgruntled" CLee would come back either. IE, there aren't that many great position players that would fit into the Sox that would be FAs after next year. Therefore, it seems more reasonable, and more Kenny's style, that we'd go after immediate pieces with prospects being in a subserviant role.

Although I'd prefer getting Tejada, it's looking less and less likely that he's gonna be moved. The Garland to Texas, Crede to Pitt scenario makes us a more complete team anyway. We'd really only be missing a bonafide #2 hitter. If the Pirates were only willing to give us one relief pitcher in exchange for Crede, I think I might push to include Crede to Texas and have them include Benoit. He's a converted starter and seems to thrive in the BP. 1.30 era in relief work last year. In the middle of the year they trying bumping him to starter which, like his previous seasons, was unsuccessful... 5-something ERA. They put him back in a relief role later in the season, and he was dominant again.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 01:34 AM)

Shouldn't be the Minor League system is the key to winning. Even if that means using the prospects to receive high quality Major Leaguers in return.

Pods - LF/CF

Wilkerson - CF/LF

Dye - RF

Kong - 1B

Thome - DH

Iguchi - 2B

Blalock - SS?

Pierz - C

Crede - 3B

Haha, he must have made a little mistake. Crede would be sent to the Rangers with Garland for Blalock and Wilkerson.

Podsednik LF

Wilkerson CF

Konerko 1B

Thome DH

Dye RF

Blalock 3B

Iguchi 2B

Pierzynski C

Uribe SS

Not like this trade is going to happen anyways though.

Edited by SSH2005

I'm leaning towards the group that wants Kenny to get some quality major league talent if he is going to deal Jon. In order of importance I'd like a stud bullpen arm, a good outfield bat, or an improvement in the left side of the INF. But, I'm skeptical of finding a match for those needs.

I think that Jon's value in a trade for minor league talent won't change that much between now and the deadline, because there going to be alot of mediocre teams trying to make the playoffs in the NL.

Also, if your going to get two high draft picks if you don't resign him at the end of the season, why not just let him pitch this year and say goodbye after this season. I think you can still get alot of value out of BMac by using him as a spot starter/pen arm and insurance for an injury in the way Buerhle was used in 2000.

So, if I'm Kenny, I'm waiting for a deal that is better than Garland and Crede for Blalock and prospects. If its not out there, then I'd sit and wait for a prospect deal, whether its now or at the deadline, that blows my mind. I'm thinking along the lines of the desperate Beltran deal or a deal like Garcia with a window to resign.

What I don't want to see is Kenny taking his best prospect deal now, because there are other FA pitchers out there and the teams your talking to now may get more desperate (prospect wise) down the line. And if not, you still have Gar for the rest of the year and two high draft picks after he walks.

I think that KW should wait until there is NO starting pitching left and the Rangers are desprate, then Propose a trade of Garland and Crede for Blaylock, Wilkerson, Diamond and Danks. If KW could make that deal it would be Awesome!!! It may seem unrealistic, but if they are desprate they may do it.

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
I think that KW should wait until there is NO starting pitching left and the Rangers are desprate, then Propose a trade of Garland and Crede for Blaylock, Wilkerson, Diamond and Danks. If KW could make that deal it would be Awesome!!!  It may seem unrealistic, but if they are desprate they may do it.

:headshake

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
I think that KW should wait until there is NO starting pitching left and the Rangers are desprate, then Propose a trade of Garland and Crede for Blaylock, Wilkerson, Diamond and Danks. If KW could make that deal it would be Awesome!!!  It may seem unrealistic, but if they are desprate they may do it.

We should ask for Michael Young too.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
so here's an honest question.  i've never seen wilkerson play but his numbers (with the exception of his very decent OBP and his homerun total in 2004) seem unimpressive.  Do we doubt that Anderson could hit 250 with 11 homers?  anyway, everyone on this board loves this guy, what am i missing?

You are missing the fact that he played in RFK last year, which is the biggest pitching park in the league.

And yea, he's not going to give you a high average, but you'll get an extremely high OBP while posting a good amount of doubles, and a decent amount of homeruns.

so here's an honest question.  i've never seen wilkerson play but his numbers (with the exception of his very decent OBP and his homerun total in 2004) seem unimpressive.  Do we doubt that Anderson could hit 250 with 11 homers?  anyway, everyone on this board loves this guy, what am i missing?

See I am with you, I want Anderson to get a shot.. Also Ozzie wants it as well.. I highly doubt we get another CF imo.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
See I am with you, I want Anderson to get a shot.. Also Ozzie wants it as well.. I highly doubt we get another CF imo.

Didn't Ozzie or Hahn or KW say that they wanted to get a new #2 hitter who doesn't necessarily have a lot of speed, but more of an on base percentage guy. Wilkerson would most definitely fit into that category. This was early on in the off season so things could have changed, but I'm pretty sure one of them said that.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
Didn't Ozzie or Hahn or KW say that they wanted to get a new #2 hitter who doesn't necessarily have a lot of speed, but more of an on base percentage guy.  Wilkerson would most definitely fit into that category.  This was early on in the off season so things could have changed, but I'm pretty sure one of them said that.

yeah, that was said, and while wilkerson OBP indicates he'd be a good fit, his high number of strikeouts indicate he might struggle in the Iguchi role....but who knows, maybe it would fit wilkerson better to slap a little more.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 11:16 PM)
yeah, that was said, and while wilkerson OBP indicates he'd be a good fit, his high number of strikeouts indicate he might struggle in the Iguchi role....but who knows, maybe it would fit wilkerson better to slap a little more.

wilkerson could be your #2 hitter thus allowing your best contact hitter not the one with the most home runs but your best at hitting the ball to bat 3rd. I believe that man would be the Iguchi...........................Frank said he's got the best hands for handling a bat....................

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 04:16 AM)

I hope when people say stuff like that they do that Iguchi struck out a lot too....114 times in only 135 games....

Wilkerson might K more but it isnt that big of a difference from Iguchi...