Who was the last prospect that panned out?

ZeroHour

I want to know some Sox draft picks that have made a consistent above-average major league impact on the team for a considerable duration of time.

Off the top of my head:

Mark Buerhle

Frank Thomas

Ray Durham

Ozzie Guillen

Now for some others who havent seemed to put it together:

Scott Ruffcorn

Scott Eyre

Joe Borchard

Aaron Myette

Josh Fogg

Its unfair, but Im going to call it a night and let you all discuss. I may be wrong on whether we actually "drafted" some I named...but you see what Im getting at.

I am not discussing the merits of our drafting or the ethics of our dealings.

This is just an experiment, name some Sox prospects that panned out.

I guess BMac doesn't count since he hasn't done much thus far, but if he continues to look like he did during his second stint in the majors last year, I think he'll have panned out.

Past him, yea, what everyone else said. September/playoff/late game Joe Crede panned out, as did Buehrle, Rowand, Magglio, and Carlos Lee.

Rowand should arguably be there, and if you're going that far back, there'll be a lot, w/ a whole passel of good 1st rounders from the early 90s -- how can you forget Ventura? Seems kind of arbitrary to exclude Latin American signings -- CLee and Magglio were both originally signed by the Sox.

Edit: Mostly late 80s, actually, some early 90s.

Edited by jackie hayes

QUOTE(Jake @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)
For the McCarthy lovers: I remember Kip Wells tearing s*** up at the end of one year... and well.. we know what ended up happening there.

so, mccarthy's going to suck because kip wells did. alrighty then. great logic.

QUOTE(Jake @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
For the McCarthy lovers: I remember Kip Wells tearing s*** up at the end of one year... and well.. we know what ended up happening there.

Every outfield prospect we have from now on will suck too because Borchard was a bust

QUOTE(Jake @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)

Kip Wells would cream himself to have Brandon McCarthy's mental make up. Wells never had the guts to succeed in a pressure situation here, Brandon has already proved his moxy in the few starts he has had here. Wells pitched well in September of a season that was already over, Brandon's ML debut was in Wrigley against the Cubs.

Now never again mention Wells and McCarthy in same sentence involving their careers.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
Kip Wells would cream himself to have Brandon McCarthy's mental make up.  Wells never had the guts to succeed in a pressure situation here, Brandon has already proved his moxy in the few starts he has had here.  Wells pitched well in September of a season that was already over, Brandon's ML debut was in Wrigley against the Cubs.

Now never again mention Wells and McCarthy in same sentence involving their careers.

They are definitely different pitchers, and I think McCarthy should be in the league for a long while, but I've seen way too many guys get your hopes up and then slam you back to reality.

QUOTE(Jake @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 06:39 AM)
They are definitely different pitchers, and I think McCarthy should be in the league for a long while, but I've seen way too many guys get your hopes up and then slam you back to reality.

I'll guarantee you Brandon will not be a bust, he'll be a success in this league. As talented as he is that's not the reason I'm so confident in him, I have complete confidence in him because of what Southsider mentioned. You don't find to many young pitchers with his kind of mental makeup and that is what makes Brandon a special pitcher.

QUOTE(poorme @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)
in the past 5-7 years i can't think of too many position players that didn't pan out. mostly i guess because most of our prospects were pitchers. Borchard's about the only one i can think of.

I forgot where I saw it, but our top prospect lists for about the last 10 years was posted, and that's not the case. There were a lot of really bad position players. Two major ones that I remember were Mike Caruso and Chris Snopek. Technically we traded for Caruso, but he was still in our minor league system for a while.

Now for some others who havent seemed to put it together:

Scott Ruffcorn

Scott Eyre

Joe Borchard

Aaron Myette

Josh Fogg

hey now, the last time i went to wrigley with my cousins who are huge cubs fans, i saw fogg (who was with the p-rats) blank the cubs for a 4 hitter and beat prior on the game he came back from that elbow injury. P-rats won 1-0, baby!

i forever love fogg for that day. he's not necessarily someone who didn't pan out (in my book).