Jon Garland signs a 3 year extension

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
BTW, just my two cents, but this makes me hate the Vazquez trade now.

seeing as how we didnt give up anything irreplaceable for Vazquez, i'm liking that one too.

if mccarthy is now the long reliever, he's gonna be better than Vizcaino. and then we'd likely need him year after next in the rotation. it all still makes sense.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
seeing as how we didnt give up anything irreplaceable for Vazquez, i'm liking that one too. 

if mccarthy is now the long reliever, he's gonna be better than Vizcaino.  and then we'd likely need him year after next in the rotation.  it all still makes sense.

Agreed. As the Sox showed last year it is all about pitching. And the Sox have 1-5 the best starting rotation in baseball.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
We'd be foolish to even conjecture as to what Williams, Hahn, and Hemond have in store for the remainder of this off-season.

I'm considering not making another post until opening day.

That might be a good move considering at this time last week we were trying to get half of the Dodger's farm system. Garland or Contreras could still be on the way out, or both could be here. There's still a lot of time left to make some moves.

Yeah I tend to dislike the Vazques trade now a bit because he's simply not as good as Contreras at this point in their careers so what we'd get from a Contreras deal would have to be special seeing how getting rid of Young and Contreras would be removing two special players/prospects. For the same money and the same years, I'd take Contreras over Vazquez and I like Javy

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
agreed.  They will use him like they used Buehrle in 2000.  That is the right thing to do.

Buehrle was only used that way for one and half months in 2000. McCarthy will be used the whole season, which I think could be detrimental to his developement.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
He really started hitting his stride during his last stint from AAA.

True, but if we dont make any more moves, he will throw out of the pen and do some spot starts for players who are injured or tired, its nice to have that insurance

My thoughts....

1.) This deal makes sense from both the White Sox and JGs point of view. For the sox, they had to work out a deal with jon, at least a 1 year deal. After Foulke, they won't go to arbitration with another player if they dont have to. So they were gonna resign him for at least 1 year, why not go to 3. For jon...this puts him in an identical situation to furcal. He can sign this contract, and still go out at the age of 29 and get another huge long term deal while he is still in his prime. If he signed a 5-6 year deal now, that might be his last big time deal. This ensures him one more long deal, and probably a shorter deal afterwards.

2.) This probably makes Garland MORE likely to be traded now. 1 day ago the market for garland was only teams who would be willing to gamble to rent Garland for one year and hope they could resign him. Now, teams should be lined up to trade for him, since he is relatively affordable for 3 years, and in his prime.

3.) Whether the sox trade Garland or keep him, this is a great deal. Signing him only brings back more talent in a trade. If we keep him, we have a reasonably priced effective pitcher.

4.) Is it possible, that contreras will be moved to the pen? The sox originally wanted Contreras in 2004 real early in april to be the closer, and there was talk about it before....just a thought probably not though...

on a side note...i dont hate the vazquez trade at all...i watched his highlights on whitesox.com the other night...the dude is just flat nasty.

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
You said it better than I could have, nice job.  Not sure about Tejada but I think there's another trade in the works.  A player like Garland always has more value if they're signed.

I don't think he will be moved considering there will be a conference call. Usually they don't do that with the player after they resigned him just to trade him.