Jon Garland signs a 3 year extension

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
Contreras is on the clock.  If he signs an extension that will solidify the White Sox rotation through 2007.  I think it goes w/out saying Buehrle is going no where.  He is a near certainty to sign a long term deal with the White Sox after 2007.  He's the heart & soul of the roster right now.  Sox fans can't imagine a team without Mark on it & they shouldn't have too.

If Contreras signs expect BMac to be traded.  If he doesn't sign expect him to be traded.  Talk of moving either of them into the pen is ridiculous because Kenny can trade either of them for a more accomplished reliever & then some to fill that role.

I seriously doubt we sign Contreras to an extension at this point. We can't really afford to have 5 pitchers signed to sizeable deals, and I seriously doubt we'd let Mark and/or Freddy walk after 2007. This is especially true because McCarthy can probably give us similar, or at least credible, production for a much lower price. I gotta believe that the answer right now is that we see if someone will bowl us over with an offer for Jose or Jon, and if that doesn't happen we keep them both and put McCarthy in the pen. If Jose pitches poorly this year, maybe we try to deal him to a pitching desperate team at the deadline, if not, we let him walk and get the draft picks. We're going to need at least one cheap starter for the future, otherwise our payroll is going to get ridiculous. McCarthy isn't likely to get traded because he's way too valuable. He's a good, cheap, young pitcher, something that everyone is looking for. We'd have to get a big-time player back for him that doesn't have a ridiculous contract, something that probably won't happen.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
And the below market price one was about 1 home run by Garret Anderson, or 1 or 2 more good games away from making a real challenge for that Cy Young award too.

Oh, and he gets a pretty ring.

And pitchers who arent nearly as good, or durable get HUGE contracts...cough AJ Burnett, cough

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
221 IP 18 Wins 86 ER 47 BB 3.50 ERA - 26 years old

223.2 IP 21 wins 86 ER 43 BB 3.48 ERA- 32 years old

One of these players just won the Cy Young award, the other just got locked up for below market price.

No fair, I was going to post who it was, but I saw it when I was posting something else. Another issue is that the latter's shoulder acted up at the end of the season and still has 2 years at $26 mil left, which has actually gone higher than that because he won the Cy Young, and it could go from $14 mil to $17 mil for 2007 if he finishes in the top 3 for Cy Young voting again.

I still can't quite grasp this signing from the Garland Camp's point of view. Even if Jon were to have another 12-14 win season, the chances of him signing a contract over two-three years would be a near certainty. He would have hit the market at what would seem a much more desirable 26 or 27 years of age rather than the standard 29 mark and would have been rewarded as such.

Hrmph.

/shrug

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
No fair, I was going to post who it was, but I saw it when I was posting something else. Another issue is that the latter's shoulder acted up at the end of the season and still has 2 years at $26 mil left, which has actually gone higher than that because he won the Cy Young, and it could go from $14 mil to $17 mil for 2007 if he finishes in the top 3 for Cy Young voting again.

You hit the nail on the head on that one. Jon is only 26!!!!!!! He eats innings, was consistent pretty much all year, and was good in the playoffs, especially at anaheim.

But of course he will be under .500 for the next 3 years right?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
You hit the nail on the head on that one.  Jon is only 26!!!!!!! He eats innings, was consistent pretty much all year, and was good in the playoffs, especially at anaheim.

But of course he will be under .500 for the next 3 years right?

His ERA will probably go up to somewhere in the 3.65-4.15 range next year, but he should still be able to win at least 14 with those kind of numbers. Suppan and Marquis aren't exactly studs, and they've had some nice win totals for St. Louis. We'll have to see what happens. He's making $7 mil next year, so even an old Jon performance is probably worth that. We'll see how he develops. I'm not sold yet that he can consistently win 16-20 games with a mid-3 ERA, but we'll see what happens. Mark doesn't exactly have the greatest stuff either, and he's been pretty damn good.

Kenny has to come to grips with what BMac's worth in a trade vs what he's worth in spot starter/long relief role for the White Sox. I see the Baseball World Cup as taking more away from ST than adding to the reg season workload. I'm not buying into this idea that it's going to take starts away from the reg season for our big 5: Mark, Freddy, Jon, Jose, & Javier. My guess is that Ozzie & Cooper will just factor the BWC into their work schedule & skip ST starts if needed.

Likewise you can't underestimate the potential of Vazquez in this rotation. We are talking a power pitcher without a power fastball. The guy has proven in his career to be crafy, stealthy, & flat out dominating when he's happy. Based on everything said about him he was happy in Montreal, much less so in NYC, & the exact opposite in Arizona. Him & Ozzie developed a solid friendship back in Montreal so I'm expecting him to be a major workhorse in 2006.

Each of our starters are going to get the opportunity to throw 90-110 pitches in every start. What that equates to in innings will be dictated by game situations. The defense should be as solid in 2006 as it was in 2005.

Ninety pitches by one of our starters should get them thru the 7th.

When you add all that up BMac's opportunities to start will be few & far between. If Contreras is going to be here past 2006 I think you have to trade BMac this year. A year in the pen is not going to enhance his trade value any more than what it is right now.

Put it this way. No one would trade a pitcher who just signed a below market contract to remain with his team. It's a PR nightmare. It matters not what a team offers. It's not going to happen. The NYY's wouldn't even do that.

Now I won't put it past Kenny to think about moving Javier or Jose with Jon signed but no way is he moving Jon in 2006.

I'm guessing Jose is going to sign an extension. That leaves BMac & Crede as the highest trade value for the White Sox. The White Sox will try to avoid arbitration with Crede but if that's not possible I would not put it past Kenny to trade Crede to the Jays for a pkg including Koskie. As for BMac I think he will be traded to Tampa Bay for Crawford & change. One of the league's best run producers signed to a $30M/5 deal is something hard to pass on.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
When you add all that up BMac's opportunities to start will be few & far between.  If Contreras is going to be here past 2006 I think you have to trade BMac this year.  A year in the pen is not going to enhance his trade value any more than what it is right now.

That's not going to happen though. We could have traded B-Mac several times by now, so why would we suddenly do it now? We'd have a hard time getting back the type of player we'd want anyways. The Sox payroll is already very high, so we'd almost have to get back a young, cheap, productive player, which most teams aren't going to give us.

B-Mac is not going to stay in the bullpen in the long run. We all know this. It seems highly unlikely that we are going to sign Contreras long term since our other 4 starters are here through 2007, and we all know that we are going to eventually try to work out deals with Mark and Freddy. We're not going to spend $10 mil plus to sign a 35 year old pitcher when we have a guy like B-Mac so close to being a solid starter. Most of the posters on this board would go ballistic if we traded B-Mac, especially to keep someone more than 10 years his senior at a much higher price. Kenny has not lost his mind, so it's fairly pointless to discuss this possibility.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
Put it this way.  No one would trade a pitcher who just signed a below market contract to remain with his team.  It's a PR nightmare.  It matters not what a team offers.  It's not going to happen.  The NYY's wouldn't even do that.

Now I won't put it past Kenny to think about moving Javier or Jose with Jon signed but no way is he moving Jon in 2006.

I'm guessing Jose is going to sign an extension.  That leaves BMac & Crede as the highest trade value for the White Sox.  The White Sox will try to avoid arbitration with Crede but if that's not possible I would not put it past Kenny to trade Crede to the Jays for a pkg including Koskie.  As for BMac I think he will be traded to Tampa Bay for Crawford & change.  One of the league's best run producers signed to a $30M/5 deal is something hard to pass on.

You really think we're going to pony up the cash to keep Jose long term? Come on. He's at least 34 right now, and we already have 5 starters. It's obvious that Kenny thinks ahead and tries to set up this team for the future. Locking up a 35 year old starter to a big time contract would be highly out of character.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
I still can't quite grasp this signing from the Garland Camp's point of view.  Even if Jon were to have another 12-14 win season, the chances of him signing a contract over two-three years would be a near certainty.  He would have hit the market at what would seem a much more desirable 26 or 27 years of age rather than the standard 29 mark and would have been rewarded as such.

Hrmph.

/shrug

I guess he decided nearly $30 million was enough to stay where he was happy. :cheers

I think they pulled a fast one on Jon.. He wont have 5 years of service until the end of '06.. per the CBA, no no-trade clauses, no free agency. The team owns your rights 100%.

I bet the NT is for year 2 and they are reporting it wrong.

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
I think they pulled a fast one on Jon.. He wont have 5 years of service until the end of '06.. per the CBA, no no-trade clauses, no free agency. The team owns your rights 100%.

Garland said himself that it was for 1 year.

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)

Might be a gentlemans agreement in that case. Who knows.