Marlins set to sign Olivo

southsider2k5

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
Hopefully playing under Girardi may help him improve some of his weaknesses in calling games that we've heard so much about.

Maybe he can talk to Cerrano and find out how he learned to hit the curved ball, straight ball he hit very straight, bats afraid of the curved ball.

QUOTE(HoosierSox @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
Yeah I remember everybody going crazy here because we gave up "the greatest catcher of all time" in Olivo.

Well... we were getting Ben Davis in return who was hitting .092 at the time we got him.

QUOTE(HoosierSox @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
Yeah I remember everybody going crazy here because we gave up "the greatest catcher of all time" in Olivo.

Its not that really I think moreso people were emotionally attached to Olivo and he also just hit a HR that day vs the cubbies... he was a fun player to watch and loved seeing him on the southside.

The player that we could miss the most from the trade is Morse although he has had problems with that steroid policy I think he also got screwed somehow by it too cant remember.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
Its not that really I think moreso people were emotionally attached to Olivo and he also just hit a HR that day vs the cubbies... he was a fun player to watch and loved seeing him on the southside.

The player that we could miss the most from the trade is Morse although he has had problems with that steroid policy I think he also got screwed somehow by it too cant remember.

He tested positive in the minors, and served his suspension. Then he was called up, tested again and was still positive because there wasn't time for them to get out of his system.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
whose the Marlins other catcher?  I know the have Girardi in the dugout which IMO is a plus for a young pitching staff, but Olivo struggled with calling games.

Lo Duca got traded. They've Josh Willingham in the minors, he'll be a much better hitter than Olivo, but Miggy is definitely superior at calling a game and defensively behind the plate.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 31, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
This can turn out to be a very good move for the Marlins.  You know Olivo has the tools.  Now if Girardi can get inside his head and teach him to think like a good catcher, they may have lucked into something.

Agreed. I think it's the perfect situation for Miggy to re-establish himself. The only problem is that Pro Player Stadium is hardly a hitters park, and we all know Miggy needs to improve his hitting quite a bit.

Miguel Olivo - C - Marlins

Marlins signed catcher Miguel Olivo, who had been with the Padres, to a one-year contract.

Olivo, who is joining his fourth team in a year and a half, will compete with Josh Willingham for the starting job behind the plate. He hasn't played well in the Dominican Republic, but he did hit .304/.341/.487 in 116 AB after joining the Padres last season. It's improved defense that the Marlins will want to see in spring training. Olivo has all of the tools, but neither the Mariners nor the Padres were impressed at all by his glovework. Dec. 30 - 6:11 pm et

It's now official.

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
Everytime I see Miguel Olivo join a new team I realize what a steal the Freddy Garcia trade truly was, even if Jeremy Reed pans out.

I am really surprised that Olivo hasn't done better. This has become a great trade.

I am really surprised that Olivo hasn't done better. This has become a great trade.

I can't believe that Olivo has already been on three teams since the Garcia trade. Three teams in a year and a half! I never thought that Olivo would be a star but I never thought he would be a journeyman either.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
I can't believe that Olivo has already been on three teams since the Garcia trade.  Three teams in a year and a half!  I never thought that Olivo would be a star but I never thought he would be a journeyman either.

I get the feeling he's struggling to stay on a MLB roster.

I get the feeling he's struggling to stay on a MLB roster.

Olivo hit very well with the Padres last season but I heard they let him go because they weren't too keen on his glovework. His main problem offensively is that he could never hit righties. He destroys lefties though. Just look at Olivo's career splits. He owns a .910 career OPS versus lefties but only a .569 career OPS versus righties. That just makes him a platoon catcher and the one who gets the fewest at bats since there are obviously far less lefty pitchers in the MLB. Come to think of it, if we didn't have Widger, Olivo would've make a damn good platoon partner with Pierzynski.

Edited by SSH2005