Can Tejada be a reality?

rangercal

QUOTE(rangercal @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)
Unless Garland was aware of it before he signed. I think that would be a very negative move for our organazation. You don't trade a guy after he signed with us for a bargain price (compared to what he would have received  on the market 1 year from now)  Don't expect any more "hometown discounts" for a while if we did that.

Ya, that's a good point. I do think there is a better chance of him getting traded for Tejada then JC that's all I'm saying.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see the sox offering the best package for miggy. if we threw in a prospect with JC and Uribe I think we would have a better shot...but Ramirez and Clement? come on which would you choose? I understand the money issue but for those players I think Baltimore could figure out a way to get it done.

I don't like this trade 'rumor' for 2 reasons:

1. We lose that 6th man insurance in our rotation if someone gets hurt.

2. Not that I wouldn't mind having Tejada, however Uribe is about equal defensively, he's extremely cheaper and he fits the Ozzieball scheme better. Don't we have enough power? We can only have so many power hitters. We need those contact hitters, we need those players who will sacrfice the runners.

Call me crazy but i say no deal. A lot of teams need a Tejada on their teams. The White Sox don't. But I do have to admit it would be one dangerous lineup:

Pods, Gooch, Tejada, Konerko, Thome, Dye, AJ P, Crede, Anderson

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 01:11 AM)
I don't think the Orioles make any deals with us unless McCarthy's name enters the picture.

I don't think Tejada is going anywhere but it's more realistic with Garland signed long term if you ask me. Like I said though, I highly highly doubt Miggy gets moved this year.

Funny, I thought the Cubs and Pirates were the only teams willing to deal within the same division.

Ramirez and Clement may have been intriuging, if not for Clement's abysmal season. What, can the Orioles believe a change of scenery will cure his troubles? He'll be facing the same exact teams, aside from interleague.

It certaintly is a trade which favors Baltimore, but counting on Clement to rebound is foolish. Worst, when the following offseason arrives, they're left with less money to sign quality starting pitchers. Amassing nearly 20 million to the payroll certaintly would prohibit it.

Ultimately, the goal of trading Tejada should be acquiring pitching, not hitting. And definitely not within your own divison.

I don't think Tejada is going anywhere but it's more realistic with Garland signed long term if you ask me.  Like I said though, I highly highly doubt Miggy gets moved this year.

He is demanding a trade so I think he will be moved.

And I would give up Contreras, Uribe, and Liotta for Tejada. Not sure the Orioles would accept that offer though.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 01:25 AM)
Funny, I thought the Cubs and Pirates were the only teams willing to deal within the same division.

Ramirez and Clement may have been intriuging, if not for Clement's abysmal season. What, can the Orioles believe a change of scenery will cure his troubles? He'll be facing the same exact teams, aside from interleague.

It certaintly is a trade which favors Baltimore, but counting on Clement to rebound is foolish. Worst, when the following offseason arrives, they're left with less money to sign quality starting pitchers. Amassing nearly 20 million to the payroll certaintly would prohibit it.

Ultimately, the goal of trading Tejada should be acquiring pitching, not hitting. And definitely not within your own divison.

Probably the most intelligent thing I've heard in reply to a trade rumor on this board.

Out of the Boston Herald:

According to one baseball source, Baltimore is in the process of obtaining “final” offers for Tejada. Within the next week, the O’s will decide which offer is best and whether it is enough to deal away the dissatisfied Tejada, one of the best at his position in baseball.

I wonder what KW really has on the table, if anything.

Put yourself into Baltimore shoes. Would you rather have a package with Jose Contreras or Mark Prior / Carlos Zambrano as the main ingredient to a trade? That's why if the Cubs have something on the table like that, a deal with Contreras and Uribe won't be enough to get Tejada. We shouldn't go any higher than that in my mind (unless you throw in a prospect who isn't top 3).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 06:47 AM)
Put yourself into Baltimore shoes. Would you rather have a package with Jose Contreras or Mark Prior / Carlos Zambrano as the main ingredient to a trade? That's why if the Cubs have something on the table like that, a deal with Contreras and Uribe won't be enough to get Tejada. We shouldn't go any higher than that in my mind (unless you throw in a prospect who isn't top 3).

Somebody's gotta play SS for the O's. They could do much worse than Uribe.

Frankly, I don't think Tejada would be worth it in the long term. Not just becuase of his salary. But mostly because Uribe seems set for some consistency on offense, to match his gold glove caliber defense.

Once Juan started that leg kick, he hit .304/.379/.641 in Sept., showing a lot more patience. He continued it through the playoffs, hitting .286/.362/.476. If that timing mechanism can give him more consistency, he should be able to equal or better his 2004 yr of .283/.327/.506 [maybe not his SLg, but at least his avg and OBP]

If Juan progresses a little offensively, he'll be a bargain at his salary for the next two yrs. the sox will need the lower salaried position players so they can afford the high priced pitching staff

QUOTE(rangercal @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)
Unless Garland was aware of it before he signed. I think that would be a very negative move for our organazation. You don't trade a guy after he signed with us for a bargain price (compared to what he would have received  on the market 1 year from now)  Don't expect any more "hometown discounts" for a while if we did that.

Umm doesn't Garland have a no trade through the 1st year of his deal? As for this....I love Uribe and Count but i'd trade them if it brings Miguel freaking Tejada. However, at the same time....if this deal doesn't happen, I'm just as happy with this team the way it is now.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 08:07 AM)
If Juan progresses a little offensively, he'll be a bargain at his salary for the next two yrs. the sox will need the lower salaried position players so they can afford the high priced pitching staff

Talking in terms of low salary positions, you can basically equate the following:

Contreras + Uribe = Tejada + B-Mac in terms of salaries, since trading Contreras would move B-Mac into the starting rotation.

Having Uribe's and B-Macs salaries coupled with some of the other low salaries does give some flexibility in re-signing other players, but Tejada will only make $10 million in 2006 and $12 million in 2007 (equal to Paulie). Those are pretty good numbers for a perennial All-Star.

This is not like the O's are trying to unload Tejada's salary, so they are going to want a lot in return. I doubt any team will offer enough to get him.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
I don't think Tejada is going anywhere but it's more realistic with Garland signed long term if you ask me.  Like I said though, I highly highly doubt Miggy gets moved this year.

Doesnt garland have a no trade clause for this year?

In an attempt to stop these threads, ESPN 1000's Bruce Levine is reporting that although Kenny Williams and company have interest in Tejada, they are in no position to add to a payroll that is already over-budget. I think he said the acquisition of Tejada would mean for roughly $8M per year.

Kenny is looking to cut pay-roll, not add to it.

These rumors are now over.

I'd rather have Count and Uribe. That being said, I think KW might acutually be trying to get Tejada. Even if it turns out to be a wash for the Sox talent and money wise, a Tejada trade may go a long way towards changing the "baseball culture" in Chicago. What would be better for the Sox hostile takeover of the Chicago baseball market this off season, than snatching the player the scrub fans have targeted as their savior. The talk shows would go nuts with how great the Sox are going to be and how worthless the scrubs organization is.

I personally do not really give a rats ass about the scrubs. I love my team. I'm actually feeling sorry for some of the less annoying scrub fans. But if the Sox get Tejada, the scrubs would be.... what's that expression?... oh yea OWNED!!

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
In an attempt to stop these threads, ESPN 1000's Bruce Levine is reporting that although Kenny Williams and company have interest in Tejada, they are in no position to add to a payroll that is already over-budget.  I think he said the acquisition of Tejada would mean for roughly $8M per year.

This may be true, but with all due respect, Bruce Levine "is in no position" to have any freakin clue what KW will do next. Even if Levine has heard this directly from KW's kidney stone, it may be to get his nose out of it and stay under the radar.

I'm not saying anything is gonna happen, I just am not gonna take Levine's word for it.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
This may be true, but with all due respect, Bruce Levine "is in no position" to have any freakin clue what KW will do next.  Even if Levine has heard this directly from KW's kidney stone, it may be to get his nose out of it and stay under the radar. 

I'm not saying anything is gonna happen, I just am not gonna take Levine's word for it.

Yeah you're right, levine line can't be taken seriously because he isn't believeable at all.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)
In an attempt to stop these threads, ESPN 1000's Bruce Levine is reporting that although Kenny Williams and company have interest in Tejada, they are in no position to add to a payroll that is already over-budget.  I think he said the acquisition of Tejada would mean for roughly $8M per year.

Isn't Levine the one who started these rumors with a package consisting of BMac, and Uribe. Trading Contreras instead of BMac would actually be keeping the payroll down a little bit. I guess now that his beloved Cubbies are interested, Levine has a different take on matters as they pertain to the White Sox. I am so glad I won't have to hear his garbage driving home from games this season.

Besides having enormous talent...does anybody think getting Tejada would be a HUGE mistake for the makeup and a little thing that was emphasized last year...chemistry?!? Personally....I'm sick of hearing about the guy....just STFU and play what you're paid $12M to do. Seriously...do you really want somebody waffling like this when things start to go a little bad on the team. Did we hear one player panic, b****, complain or moan during septembers freefall?!?

On Dec. 11, just three days after making his initial remarks, in his only other public statement of the off-season, Tejada told Comcast SportsNet: "I never said I wanted to be traded." The Orioles, though, never stopped listening to trade offers because Tejada's agents never backed away from the request.

Tejada has taken some heat in the Dominican media for sending out mixed messages. Thursday night, he clarified the Comcast statement by saying: "I didn't say I want to stay with the [Orioles] either."

Does this team really need this kind of crap?!?...no. Stay away from the light Kenny....