New Tejada News: O's reportedly make a proposal...

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 03:13 AM)
Somebody in another thread,  maybe this one,  suggested that if we were able to land Tejada,  that even if the pitching fell off,  say Garland went back to his 04 form,  that we could still repeat in 06.  I totally disagree with that.  If the pitching isn't as good or close to what it was last year in 06,  it won't matter if we add Tejada.  We won't be repeating.  Ask Red Sox fans what a dominant offense with average pitching did for them in 2005.

Even if Garland falls back to his 12 win form..... we will have 5 starters... in the years b4 we could always chalk every 5th game as a loss because we never had a major league 5th starter just a bunch of AAA pitchers. Pitching will be the key but in 06 if we get Tejada we would also be able to win with offense and put less stress on our pitchers.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
Somebody in another thread,  maybe this one,  suggested that if we were able to land Tejada,  that even if the pitching fell off,  say Garland went back to his 04 form,  that we could still repeat in 06.  I totally disagree with that.  If the pitching isn't as good or close to what it was last year in 06,  it won't matter if we add Tejada.  We won't be repeating.  Ask Red Sox fans what a dominant offense with average pitching did for them in 2005.

Average pitching? Clement was their Ace. We would still have 5 legit starters, if Garland fell off, we would still have Mark, Freddy, BMAC to dominate and Vaz if he improves.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 09:25 AM)
Average pitching?  Clement was their Ace.  We would still have 5 legit starters, if Garland fell off, we would still have Mark, Freddy, BMAC to dominate and Vaz if he improves.

Garland was just one example. What if Mark or Freddy get hurt? What if B-mac isn't as good as we think? What if Vaz gives up close to 40 bombs? All I was saying is that no matter who we add on offense, for us to repeat in 2006, the pitching has to be top-flight.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
Garland was just one example.  What if Mark or Freddy get hurt? What if B-mac isn't as good as we think?  What if Vaz gives up close to 40 bombs?  All I was saying is that no matter who we add on offense,  for us to repeat in 2006,  the pitching has to be top-flight.

You'd need at least two of those what if's to happen to really kill the starting pitching, and any of Mark/Freddy/Jon/Vazquez getting hurt is fairly unlikely given their career histories.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
Garland was just one example.  What if Mark or Freddy get hurt? What if B-mac isn't as good as we think?  What if Vaz gives up close to 40 bombs?  All I was saying is that no matter who we add on offense,  for us to repeat in 2006,  the pitching has to be top-flight.

what if the plane crashes on the way to oakland? What if Jon gets polio??

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)

What if Pauly gets hurt? We better bring back the Big Hurt to ride the pine until that happens...

Edited by sircaffey

If the pitching isn't as good or close to what it was last year in 06,  it won't matter if we add Tejada.  We won't be repeating.  Ask Red Sox fans what a dominant offense with average pitching did for them in 2005.

Ah yes, the mythical sample size of "one". LOL, you can't be seriously trying to argue this point can you? Last time I checked, if you scored more the opponent, you win. Obviously if you score 7 runs a games youe pitching can give up 6 and you'll still win more than you lose.

If you mean that good pitching is harder to find and more expensive than good offense, I won't argue with you. If you're saying that pitching is more important than offense, I won't agree. Run creation and run prevention are equally important.

The Red Sox won 95 games with a good/great offense and a mediocre pitching staff. You have to figure in the offense inflating Fenway into any argument.

Top front line pitching depth 1-3, such as the the White Sox possess, might be more important than a good offense in the postseason. However, during the regular season it matters little if at all whether a team is good at scoring runs or good at creating runs.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
Top front line pitching depth 1-3, such as the the White Sox possess, might be more important than a good offense in the postseason. 

Not might be, it is. If you don't have good pitching in the playoffs you are not going to win, it doesn't matter how good your offense is.

I tend to agree Rowand, in a short series of 5 or 7 games, starting pitching depth past your number 3 starter is pretty much meaningless, meaning that teams that possess three good starters have a big advantage.

I have yet to see any stats to back up my intuition though, so I will say "probably" until I do. I think someone over at BP was looking into doing an analysis of "what wins in the postseason" and the big assumption he was going to prove or disprove was the point you and I are making.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
I tend to agree Rowand, in a short series of 5 or 7 games, starting pitching depth past your number 3 starter is pretty much meaningless, meaning that teams that possess three good starters have a big advantage.

I have yet to see any stats to back up my intuition though, so I will say "probably" until I do.  I think someone over at BP was looking into doing an analysis of "what wins in the postseason" and the big assumption he was going to prove or disprove was the point you and I are making.

From the same people who think the Japanese Champ could hang with the Sox. BP has no credibility. None.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 06:19 AM)
Rowand,  you are my new god.  That's all I was trying to say.

No one said pitching isnt needed you just kind of had some kind of crazy idea in your head that if we trade Contreras that our pitching isnt going to be good.... thats why everyone argued with you because what you said had no point to it.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 01:19 AM)
No one said pitching isnt needed you just kind of had some kind of crazy idea in your head that if we trade Contreras that our pitching isnt going to be good.... thats why everyone argued with you because what you said had no point to it.

No, you're wrong, you need to go back in the thread and you'll see what I said. You chimed in after. I never said trading Contreras for Tejaja would hurt the team. I simply responded to the poster that said that even if the pitching fell off that we could still repeat because we would be able to "outscore" teams. That works in the regular season. But, in the playoffs, unless your pitching is top notch, you ain't winnin a thing.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 08:32 AM)
No,  you're wrong,  you need to go back in the thread and you'll see what I said.  You chimed in after.  I never said trading Contreras for Tejaja would hurt the team.  I simply responded to the poster that said that even if the pitching fell off that we could still repeat because we would be able to "outscore" teams.  That works in the regular season.  But,  in the playoffs,  unless your pitching is top notch,  you ain't winnin a thing.

Eh but in the playoffs if some of our pitchers didnt live up to hopes we could always shorten the rotation....We went with a 1-4 punch this post-season its not like we cant go with a 1-3 next. And with Tejada/Thome our offense would be more capable to pick up the slack.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/01/details_on_teja.html

Details On Tejada Negotiations

Just got a little bit of info from my White Sox source concerning the now deceased White Sox trade for Miguel Tejada.

Word is that the White Sox bowed out late Friday when the Orioles insisted on Brandon McCarthy or Lance Broadway in addition to the other players.  It seems Broadway's status pick in the 2005 June draft would've necessitated his inclusion as a PTBNL.  The White Sox wouldn't budge, and the deal died.

One other new tidbit is that the Orioles changed gears and attempted to engage the White Sox in an Erik Bedard trade.  It is speculated that Jose Contreras would've been involved in such a deal, but that is not confirmed.

This guy must read SoxTalk. :lolhitting