Recruiting Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimbo,

He opened it up after WM was fired.

He's rooming with ISU committ Craig Brackins at the Brewster academy.

It's gonna sting if we lose him to Kansas, but the last guy we lost to Kansas never could beat us. :D

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
Jimbo,

He opened it up after WM was fired.

He's rooming with ISU committ Craig Brackins at the Brewster academy.

It's gonna sting if we lose him to Kansas, but the last guy we lost to Kansas never could beat us. :D

hes going to be having fun with Tyrus and Swiss Dude next year.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
Is there any other way to attend that school?

lol...FSU definitely has its stigmas (most deservedly so) but u of i isn't that far behind either...

And it was a personal decision to transfer...

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Wisconsin's scout boards say that Evan Turner is going to OSU.

Just saw it on Illiniboard... and realized again why I don't go there very often anymore.

Losing Turner certainly isn't a good thing, but Weber already has 2 solid commits (Cole/Tisdale) and one great commit (Gordon) for that class, and he is still in on a couple other good players. He wasnt the make or break guy for the class.

The other thing I dont understand about Illiniboard is that Turner right now is rated comprably to Carlwell, but the majority of posters there don't give Carlwell the time of day, but Turner commits to tOSU and there is a million post meltdown about how Weber can't recruit.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 04:17 AM)
Here's a picture of Josh Bone and Tyrone Green, the two recruits SIU has coming in this year. Green is a JUCO transfer and on the right, he's a f'n monster.

0628recruitmdb.jpg

He's almost as ripped as I am!

:notworthy Lowery

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
Just saw it on Illiniboard... and realized again why I don't go there very often anymore.

Losing Turner certainly isn't a good thing, but Weber already has 2 solid commits (Cole/Tisdale) and one great commit (Gordon) for that class, and he is still in on a couple other good players. He wasnt the make or break guy for the class.

The other thing I dont understand about Illiniboard is that Turner right now is rated comprably to Carlwell, but the majority of posters there don't give Carlwell the time of day, but Turner commits to tOSU and there is a million post meltdown about how Weber can't recruit.

good point. it is disappointing, though. to have top instate kid declare illinois his leader, then commit to a rival in-league school a few weeks later is a bit disconcerting.

but to be honest, i was always somewhat skeptical of turner coming to illinois. the st. joes-illinois history is not good, and i was always bothered by the fact that turner has a lot of family in columbus and spends a lot of time here.

that, and you have to give matta props. dudes a helluva recruiter. still has something to prove as a coach, imo, but a great recruiter no doubt.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 08:59 AM)
good point. it is disappointing, though. to have top instate kid declare illinois his leader, then commit to a rival in-league school a few weeks later is a bit disconcerting.

but to be honest, i was always somewhat skeptical of turner coming to illinois. the st. joes-illinois history is not good, and i was always bothered by the fact that turner has a lot of family in columbus and spends a lot of time here.

that, and you have to give matta props. dudes a helluva recruiter. still has something to prove as a coach, imo, but a great recruiter no doubt.

Weber should just not even try in Chicago, he is just losing them left and right.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
westchester is not chicago.

Weber shouldn't try in Illinois then because he's losing a ton of them. So as far as sporst are concerned, the Illini have a great coach who sucks donkey balls at recruiting and a sucky football coach who could recruit with the best of them. Maybe they should spend more time together.

Why do so many people disrespect Weber's recruiting ability.

Illinois is not a destination school, the fact he is able to get any top level recruits should be good enough.

OSU, may not have the greatest basketball program but its atheltic program has so much prestige that it is really easy to sell the school. Not to mention its easier to sell Columbus than Champaign.

Hes got a pretty good class, especially considering the school he recruits for. Illinois does not sell itself, its not like UNC, Duke in basketball and not like OSU, Michigan, USC, FSU etc in Football. It has a solid basketball program and deficient football program.

Bo Ryan does not get the best recruits, he almost always loses on them. But in the end he wins basketball games so who cares if does not have 5 star players. Weber, I feel, will have the same impact. He may not get the best recruits, but he will win games.

And in the end Id rather win games than have great recruits.

If it was the reverse Zook would still be in Florida.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
Weber shouldn't try in Illinois then because he's losing a ton of them. So as far as sporst are concerned, the Illini have a great coach who sucks donkey balls at recruiting and a sucky football coach who could recruit with the best of them. Maybe they should spend more time together.

i'm not sure its accurate to say weber "sucks donkey balls" when it comes to recruiting when you look at the way the 2007 class is shaping up. there's a good chance this will go down as the best recruiting class in school history, and weber is the guy who's pulled those kids in.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
i'm not sure its accurate to say weber "sucks donkey balls" when it comes to recruiting when you look at the way the 2007 class is shaping up. there's a good chance this will go down as the best recruiting class in school history, and weber is the guy who's pulled those kids in.

Couldn't agree more. Gordon is the highest rated Illini recruit, maybe ever. At least since Ben Wilson or Marcus Liberty. Weber has had some high profile misses, but show me a coach that doesnt.

If Rose joins this class, it will be, on paper, the best class in Illinois history by far.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
Couldn't agree more. Gordon is the highest rated Illini recruit, maybe ever. At least since Ben Wilson or Marcus Liberty. Weber has had some high profile misses, but show me a coach that doesnt.

If Rose joins this class, it will be, on paper, the best class in Illinois history by far.

Don't count on Rose. Even if we can score another 4 star prospect this will probably be the best Illini class in history. I would love to have Rose, but since we offered McCamey I'm pretty sure that tells you how confident Weber is in getting Rose to come here.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
Don't count on Rose. Even if we can score another 4 star prospect this will probably be the best Illini class in history. I would love to have Rose, but since we offered McCamey I'm pretty sure that tells you how confident Weber is in getting Rose to come here.

Well, call me an optimisit, but my logic is that Rose is a 1-2 year player, Weber wants to bring in a PG in this class at all costs, so to my mind all this means is that the Illini are covering their bases in case Rose chooses to go elsewhere. He doesnt want to repeat the mistake of putting all his eggs in 1 basket (see Sherron Collins). At least, thats what I hope is the case.

Edited by illinilaw08

Illini got a great commitment today from 07 PG/SG 6'4 Demetri McCarney.

Hell of a pick-up. Rated 4 star by Scout, 13th best prospect, but if he's not one of the top 5 PG's in the 07 class, I will eat my shoe. He reminds me ALOT of Derrick Rose, similar size, athletecism, passing ability, and desire to attack the rim. Great pick-up.

He said, "I’ve been dreaming about going to Illinois".

http://illinois.scout.com/2/543729.html

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
Illini got a great commitment today from 07 PG/SG 6'4 Demetri McCarney.

Hell of a pick-up. Rated 4 star by Scout, 13th best prospect, but if he's not one of the top 5 PG's in the 07 class, I will eat my shoe. He reminds me ALOT of Derrick Rose, similar size, athletecism, passing ability, and desire to attack the rim. Great pick-up.

He said, "I’ve been dreaming about going to Illinois".

http://illinois.scout.com/2/543729.html

Well he's just like Derrick Rose. Just without the freak athleticism (speed and leaping ability)

McCamey will be a solid college player because hes a strong point guard. He will be able to finish around the basket. I would almost say hes a Jameer Nelson type but 4 inches taller.

Edited by Chisoxrd5

I'm very excited about the McCamey commitment. Ironically enough, he could very well be a Deron Williams type. Big, strong PG who is deceptively fast/athletic and is strong to overpower other guards. Basically, from what I hear, he looks like a linebacker out on the court.