The Score pitches Ozzie Jr. as baseball talk host

HuskyCaucasian

Hey Athomeboy and Anthraxfan...Is it possible that all these Mexicans you know actually speak English but don't feel like conversing with you two?

I apologize for laying out an insult to fellow Sox fans, but you have ruined a potential interesting discussion on a great marketing effort with your baseless stance on Latinos and why they need to learn English. If you are so impressed with the multi-lingual cultures of Europe, maybe you should make an effort to learn Spanish, which is arguably the most important language for any American to learn after English. My guess is these Latinos you criticize speak and understand a lot more English than you will ever learn of Spanish.

The fact is WSCR is potentially helping the White Sox expand their fan base by tapping into the fastest growing ethnic group in the nation. I would much rather embrace any of them as fellow Sox fans (in any language), than someone who throws blanket statements and passes judgement on immigrants trying to make a better life for their families.

Edited by Beltin'Bill

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
And Chicago is the largest city outside of Warsaw(Captial of Poland) in the world that speaks Polish.. Where is their show?

Again, when is the shows going to start for other Ethinic backgrounds, and why do we contuine to cater only to spanish speaking?

That my fellows sox fans is racist.

S.O.D. said it best..

LOL. What bulls***. There are more Spanish only speakers in the listening area than Polish only speakers. It's all about attracting advertising dollars.

The Polish community has been well integrated into the population and speaks ENGLISH, so they can understand the current programming. In the US, there is a huge influx of first generation Spanish speaking immigrants, who do not speak English yet. That is why Spanish language advertising is hot, and why more Spanish language radio and TV stations are forming. Why haven't there been many Polish, Italian, French, TV stations?

Wow. One of the more ignorant thread hijackings I've seen on here.

I know at least 50 Mexican immigrants. I think 95% speak English. The only ones who never learned are my wife's grandparents. They lived on 26th Street, and I guess they just never saw any need to learn. They live in beautiful, sunny McAllen, TX now, and I've taught them the most important words in the English language, "Here comes Texsox, don't drop the soap." :wub:

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
Wow.  One of the more ignorant thread hijackings I've seen on here.

I know at least 50 Mexican immigrants.  I think 95% speak English.  The only ones who never learned are my wife's grandparents.  They lived on 26th Street, and I guess they just never saw any need to learn.  They live in beautiful, sunny McAllen, TX now, and I've taught them the most important words in the English language, "Here comes Texsox, don't drop the soap." :wub:

LOL, thank you.

Are they winter Texans or settled here permently? Bigger question, are they Sox fans? Tell them to drop by Chicago Dogs on North 10th Street when they get homesick.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 10:03 AM)
LOL, thank you.

Are they winter Texans or settled here permently? Bigger question, are they Sox fans? Tell them to drop by Chicago Dogs on North 10th Street when they get homesick.

They live there permanently (near the airport).

I think they're Cub fans actually (old + day games), but they really lived for Fernando-mania. I've explained countless times that Cub is English for maricon.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
They live there permanently (near the airport).

I think they're Cub fans actually (old + day games), but they really lived for Fernando-mania.  I've explained countless times that Cub is English for maricon.

If you come down to visit them, be sure to save some time for a beer.

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 12:32 AM)
Hey Athomeboy and Anthraxfan...Is it possible that all these Mexicans you know actually speak English but don't feel like conversing with you two?

I apologize for laying out an insult to fellow Sox fans, but you have ruined a potential interesting discussion on a great marketing effort with your baseless stance on Latinos and why they need to learn English. If you are so impressed with the multi-lingual cultures of Europe, maybe you should make an effort to learn Spanish, which is arguably the most important language for any American to learn after English. My guess is these Latinos you criticize speak and understand a lot more English than you will ever learn of Spanish.

The fact is WSCR is potentially helping the White Sox expand their fan base by tapping into the fastest growing ethnic group in the nation. I would much rather embrace any of them as fellow Sox fans (in any language), than someone who throws blanket statements and passes judgement on immigrants trying to make a better life for their families.

Now that's a perfect first post. Well-said.

Welcome. :gosox3:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
Excellent first post, welcome to Soxtalk :cheers

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I just heard about this site yesterday and am excited to find people ready to talk baseball (peppered with sociology) in January.

BTW, is it sacrilegious to secretly hope the Bears lose soon? I really do not want the city to lose focus on what is most important...the 2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox! :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 12:38 AM)
BTW, is it sacrilegious to secretly hope the Bears lose soon? I really do not want the city to lose focus on what is most important...the 2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox! :gosoxretro:

YES IT IS.......

White Sox will always come first, but this could be the greatest sports year EVER

we need to take on Boston....

but welcome to SOXTALK

LOL. What bulls***. There are more Spanish only speakers in the listening area than Polish only speakers.  It's all about attracting advertising dollars.

The Polish community has been well integrated into the population and speaks ENGLISH, so they can understand the current programming. In the US, there is a huge influx of first generation Spanish speaking immigrants, who do not speak English yet. That is why Spanish language advertising is hot, and why more Spanish language radio and TV stations are forming. Why haven't there been many Polish, Italian, French, TV stations?

Thank you for proving half my point..

1. ITs not Bulls***, You just read the statement wrong..

Your right Polish, French, German etc Immigrants have been integrated into the AMERICAN culture..Do you think they would have if they were given the choice? If they had everything translated into their lanagaue, I don't think they would have the desire to learn English as they had. They more or less where forced into the american way of life.

Again this comes down to catering one speical group, which I feel is wrong.. NO one in America ever got this speical treatment as we have given Spanish speaking immigrants..If anything we should give speical treatment to the people who were here first.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)

Your right Polish, French, German etc Immigrants have been integrated into the AMERICAN culture..Do you think they would have if they were given the choice? If they had everything translated into their lanagaue, I don't think they would have the desire to learn English as they had. They more or less where forced into the american way of life.

Again this comes down to catering one speical group, which I feel is wrong.. NO one in America ever got this speical treatment as we have given Spanish speaking immigrants..If anything we should give speical treatment to the people who were here first.

Once again, there is no official language here. And when you use the word "cater," it really sounds like you're calling them lazy, as if they need things done for them because they can't handle it.

You ever see the movie Twelve Angry Men? You sound an awful lot like Lee J. Cobb from the movie right now. You hardly have a handle on the English language yourself, if one were to judge you by your posts on this site.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)

As far back as 1795, the US house was debating whether to publish 3,000 sets of laws into German due to the volume of German-speaking people in the country at the time. I have even heard stories that romantic politicians had debated making Greek the official language of government during the revloutionary period due to Hellenic roots of democracy.

Further, if you feel like reading the attached (http://www2.english.uiuc.edu/baron/essays/english%20only%20book%20chapter.htm), you will see that established Americans have historically feared other languages would infiltrate our perfect society. I can only assume it is because immigrants were heard speaking their language, publishing newpapers in their native tongue, and their neighborhoods were dominated by signs and shops that spoke of their ethnic background.

I hate to tell you, but that is still the case. The grocer I shop at in Elmwood Park has Polish language newspapers and most customers are speaking Spanish, Greek, Italian and Polish. If you drive down Lawrence you will see signs in Thai, Korean, Greek, Arabic, and Spanish. This is not going to change and it is definitely not going to impact the dominance of English in this country or city.

So, AnthraxFan, rest assured that if you wait long enough, these Mexicans you know, or a least their kids, will start speaking English and you can go back to enjoying Anthrax and jumping on the field to beat up the Royals 1st base coach.

You ever see the movie Twelve Angry Men?  You sound an awful lot like Lee J. Cobb from the movie right now.

Great movie, an all time classic.

Actually the guy you're specifically referring to is Ed Begley Sr. - he was the guy who sat next to the really old guy (actor Joseph Sweeney), on the same side of the table as Henry Fonda.

Ed Begley was the guy who broad brushed the ethnic group, saying stuff like "you know how those people are ... they lush it up ... next thing you know someone's lying dead in the gutter". And then the other 11 jurors all turn away from him and face the window. What a great scene.

Lee J. Cobb was the juror who had a simmering feud with his son, which clouded his vision towards all young people his sons age. He was the last holdout on the jury.

The one juror just died a few months ago ... the little bald guy who sat next to Lee J. Cobb ... the actors name was John Fiedler.

The only actors from the movie who are still alive are Jack Klugman and Jack Warden (the guy with the baseball tix).

As far back as 1795, the US house was debating whether to publish 3,000 sets of laws into German due to the volume of German-speaking people in the country at the time. I have even heard stories that romantic politicians had debated making Greek the official language of government during the revloutionary period due to Hellenic roots of democracy.

Further, if you feel like reading the attached (http://www2.english.uiuc.edu/baron/essays/english%20only%20book%20chapter.htm), you will see that established Americans have historically feared other languages would infiltrate our perfect society. I can only assume it is because immigrants were heard speaking their language, publishing newpapers in their native tongue, and their neighborhoods were dominated by signs and shops that spoke of their ethnic background.

I hate to tell you, but that is still the case. The grocer I shop at in Elmwood Park has Polish language newspapers and most customers are speaking Spanish, Greek, Italian and Polish. If you drive down Lawrence you will see signs in Thai, Korean, Greek, Arabic, and Spanish. This is not going to change and it is definitely not going to impact the dominance of English in this country or city.

So, AnthraxFan, rest assured that if you wait long enough, these Mexicans you know, or a least their kids, will start speaking English and you can go back to enjoying Anthrax and jumping on the field to beat up the Royals 1st base coach.

Your ignorance is only flawed because of your lack of intelligence..

Though you have proven that we are catering to the immigrants of Spanish speaking culture... Yes, there are area's around that city that still kept their culture and as well speak english.. Chinatown, GreeKTown.. For starters... There was no massive wave of Chicago translating things into their lanagauge for them.

Again, This would go for any culture that comes over here. This is the problem I have, why is that so hard to see and take notice to?

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)

Actually the guy you're specifically referring to is Ed Begley Sr. - he was the guy who sat next to the really old guy (actor Joseph Sweeney), on the same side of the table as Henry Fonda.

Ed Begley was the guy who broad brushed the ethnic group, saying stuff like "you know how those people are ... they lush it up ... next thing you know someone's lying dead in the gutter".  And then the other 11 jurors all turn away from him and face the window.  What a great scene.

Lee J. Cobb was the juror who had a simmering feud with his son, which clouded his vision towards all young people his sons age.  He was the last holdout on the jury.

The one juror just died a few months ago ... the little bald guy who sat next to Lee J. Cobb ... the actors name was John Fiedler.

The only actors from the movie who are still alive are Jack Klugman and Jack Warden (the guy with the baseball tix).

Ah, damn it. Way to make me look less credible, jackass :P

I actually couldn't remember the guy's name that I was thinking of (and imdb only lists them as juror #1, juror #2, etc.). So, I just used the one guy I remembered, ha.

The exact line I was thinking of was, "He don't even speak good English." And after looking again, it was Ed Begley. Good job, Jim.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)

Ed Begley was the guy who broad brushed the ethnic group, saying stuff like "you know how those people are ... they lush it up ... next thing you know someone's lying dead in the gutter".  And then the other 11 jurors all turn away from him and face the window.  What a great scene.

Lee J. Cobb was the juror who had a simmering feud with his son, which clouded his vision towards all young people his sons age.  He was the last holdout on the jury.

You sound like you're right in the middle of writing a paper on this. :P

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
Im Honestly intelligent.. Something most can't handle. Such as yourself.

Oh, I can handle your kind ok.

A warm bottle and a dry diaper works wonders.