The Official Soxfest Thread

aboz56

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
I think Keith, SnB, and Tony will agree.

If I were ever to wear 6 inch platforms, and wear a #55 McCarthy jersey to the park, I wouldn't need a ticket to get into USCF. But I might end up on the mound that night.

never thought about that, but good call on that one.

Make sure to gel your hair as great as bmac though :P

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we're sitting at Houlihan's watching the Illinois/Purdue game Saturday, and Rowand says, "Guys, i think Dan Patrick just walked in." We didn't think it made sense for Patrick to be in Chicago (and at Soxfest?) so we told him he was crazy. He told me to verify it, so i peeked around the corner, and it only took me about .5 seconds to say "Yeah, that's him." We decided to take a picture with king of the awkward 5pm SC interviews to document our find.

As we approach, he introduces himself to a guy across the table from him. "Hi, i'm Dan." I'm Dan? First off, who is this guy that you are eating dinner with that has no clue who you are? Has he watched sports, like, ever?

Anyway, Addy approaches him with us following. We ask for a picture with him while he hasn't received his food or drinks or really gets settled in. What ensues is quite awkward, though you won't quite understand it fully unless you were there

Addy: "Hi Mr Patrick...would you mind taking a picture with us real quick"

Patrick: (Blank stare)....(Peculiar look)...(Hesitation)..."Oh, ok guys, sure"

Essentially, Patrick was either 1. Shocked we recognized him; 2. Shocked we were asking to take a picture with him, as if no one has ever asked him this before; or the hilarious conclusion we came to - 3. He was unsure of who he was. Similar to Anchorman's "I'm Ron Burgundy?"...We all thought Patrick may have been thinking "I'm Dan Patrick?" for the few seconds it took him to fully comprehend the situation and take a picture with us. This moment was just the start of a completely hilarious night, highlighted by CWSGuy's actions after drinking too much 'pop.'

So here is the picture of myself, Addy, SnB, and Rowand with...Dan Patrick?

soxfestlabel3fa.jpg

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
Yeah, thanks for introducing yourself.  Always great to meet people :cheers

FYI.  Brandon's pitching clinic on Friday was excellent.  He was about as comfortable on stage as he was on the mound with 40,000 fans in the stadium.  He is a well spoken, articulate kid.  You can really tell he is a real student of the game.  Heck I even learned something as his clinic :P

He was very well spoken, i agree. I'm surprised at how comfortable he looked up there. You and I asked a few pretty good questions, and I learned more about pitching/McCarthy.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
Today he expanded on it and said Owens had some sort of arm injury that has or will soon heal. They are supposedly going to stretch his arm out in spring training. KW said today that Jerry Owens is ready to play in the big leagues.

Sounded like BS to me, but Kenny seemed to say CF. I think it was more in a bind. He did say that Owens can hit major league pitching right now and he sounded really confident about that.

On Friday I remember him immediately saying that Anderson is the #1 option in CF.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
They really didn't mention Crede's back, but KW said Thome's back is a non-issue, that he was  a lot more concerned about a couple of other guys backs which I guess would be Crede and Hermanson. As to the bullpen, KW seems to like the minor league free agents he signed, thinking one of them may be the next Kelly Wunsch, or Marte. Ozzie did say Munoz has good stuff, but no guts.

And Kenny basically said his no guts comment was more no balls comment. Didn't sound like Ozzie thought much of Munoz. Talked about how great he thought the kid was a few years back, but that he's just never stepped it up.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
soxfest = crazy, fun weekend.

There will be plenty of inside jokes and stories to go around in the next few days.

Skimming over the comments, I can understand the complaints.  The lines were crazy, the whole thing was jam-packed.  So if you were going just for the fest, I could see the dissapointment. 

For me, it was just a weekend to hang out with a ton of good friends and just have a blast, with soxfest as the backdrop.

Seeing Keith's disguise = priceless :D

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
Seeing Keith's disguise = priceless  :D

that's the best advice i've ever given anyone.

BTW, you should have come up to our room last night, keith was........"not feeling well"

It was hilarious.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 08:44 PM)
that's the best advice i've ever given anyone.

BTW, you should have come up to our room last night, keith was........"not feeling well"

It was hilarious.

Where was my damn phone call. Seriously, next year, i'm thinking some poker action is called for.

Oh and the whole hair thing...I guess you'll have to wait till next time :D

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
Where was my damn phone call. Seriously, next year, i'm thinking some poker action is called for. 

Oh and the whole hair thing...I guess you'll have to wait till next time  :D

We played poker in the room, you missed out. None of us have your number, either.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 02:42 AM)
No they were all actually laughing at you dude.  :P

Ha, well what really happened was we were just walking around down there and all the sudden we get by the autograph lines and people just start cheering so of course we knew it was for us ;) but it turned out that Crede was right behind us.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)
Crede recognized by adoring Sox fans

Postseason hero looks to take momentum into '06 season

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Crede is fastly becoming the most popular player on the team. Is that the power of the Rally Crede working it's never ending magic?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 08:00 PM)
Crede is fastly becoming the most popular player on the team.  Is that the power of the Rally Crede working it's never ending magic?

Possibly, I'd imagine the noise would just increase in decibals if he dumped Bora$$ though. ;)

QUOTE(SAVVY18 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 02:03 AM)
And the signage was terrible.  I had no idea that there was a bunch of stuff going on downstairs.  We just happened to wander down and saw all of that stuff.  How about a map telling you what was in each place.  Yes they gave you a sheet that said player X would be on stage 3, but where the hell is stage 3? 

There was a map of both floors on the same sheet that listed where the players would be signing.

Definitely less fun this year than years past due to the insane crowd. And I'd rather be in line with "creepy" or "geeky" adults than giggling, annoying young girls who make it seem like all female baseball fans are only fans because the players are "hot."

QUOTE(rbloom03 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 08:19 AM)
And I'd rather be in line with "creepy" or "geeky" adults than giggling, annoying young girls who make it seem like all female baseball fans are only fans because the players are "hot."

I saw a few girls with the Scotty Too Hotty Shirts or Mrs. Pods shirts, granted they were between the ages of 14-15, oddly no guys came up with the great idea of Mr. Dergan