Carmen and Silvy to get the Ax?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
I hate the cutthroat nature of the radio business, noone ever gets any decent time to gel and become cohesive with the person they are working with.  Radio gives you a quick second, then the hook if you dont do well in the ratings.

As many of you know, i graduated this spring from Columbia College with a major in radio broadcasting. One of my teachers told us that basically, you have 18 months as a show, if you don't show significant improvement in ratings, you get pulled. Simple as that.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
As many of you know, i graduated this spring from Columbia College with a major in radio broadcasting. One of my teachers told us that basically, you have 18 months as a show, if you don't show significant improvement in ratings, you get pulled. Simple as that.

And 18 months is a generous number. Usually you get one "book" in the arbitron ratings.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
And 18 months is a generous number.  Usually you get one "book" in the arbitron ratings.

It depends. A good GM will give you a little longer, especially if its a new show. Sometimes, it takes a book just to get the new shows name out to the general public. So, 18 months is a fair amount of time.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Silvy really going after Levine on the air in the last few weeks. It was more than the normal kidding around, he was really calling him out for flip-flopping on his position regarding the Cubs and their willingness to trade Prior.

It's not like he just brought it up, he was playing tapes to prove his point and really calling out Bruce. It stemmed from Silvy bringing up the situation of him changing positions and Bruce absolutely denying he said what he said the first time, and Silvy didn't have the tape at hand at that point. Levine was really being an asshole to Silvy about it. So when Silvy finally got the tape he was really laying it on.

Not sure this is the reason because I don't know why they would punish DeFalco for this since he was going out of his way to protect Levine during the whole thing.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
It depends. A good GM will give you a little longer, especially if its a new show. Sometimes, it takes a book just to get the new shows name out to the general public. So, 18 months is a fair amount of time.

I worked in Radio for 4 years, there is no such thing as a "good GM". They do what they are told by the Man. I wish I could agree with your 18 month figure, but too many of my friends have been canned in under 6 months because of ratings. I have seen it too many times. If you want your show to work, you gotta be on your game and and cant let down.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
I worked in Radio for 4 years, there is no such thing as a "good GM".    They do what they are told by the Man.  I wish I could agree with your 18 month figure, but too many of my friends have been canned in under 6 months because of ratings.  I have seen it too many times.  If you want your show to work, you gotta be on your game and and cant let down.

WOW! ok, i stnad corrected

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
WOW! ok, i stnad corrected

Lets put it this way, in college there was a group of about 12 of us heavily involved in radio. Of all of us, there is one person who stuck with it, he works at Q101, and he isnt even ON air. The rest of us suffered some bigtime disillusion and went other directions.

I dont want to discourage you. I just want to let you know, if you are gonna go for it, dont hold back because you are gonna get some crap thrown at you before it settles in. If you get your own show, there is going to be alot of things about your life you have to give up to become the personality in your show, mostly time.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 05:02 AM)
When Did wheeler leave?  What happened? He get fired?

he left maybe close to a month or a little more now.... didnt get fired said he was in the business too long and needed to move on...... The guy that replaced him is absolutely horrible too which totally kills my favorite timeslot to listen to the radio.

I was hoping whats his name the dude that does weekends over night on sporting news would get Wheeler's gig but instead we have some crap guy who makes every caller tell them somthing good about themselves and wont let you ask him questions.

Edited by SoxFan101

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
Hey, I worked 4 years on-air in carbondale.  Lets rock this town.  ;)

Did you have a show on WDBX? I was on there for about a year & a half.

Oh, never mind, Q101. Is that Zimmer? I dated a girl who worked there.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
he left maybe close to a month or a little more now.... didnt get fired said he was in the business too long and needed to move on...... The guy that replaced him is absolutely horrible too which totally kills my favorite timeslot to listen to the radio.

I was hoping whats his name the dude that does weekends over night on sporting news would get Wheeler's gig but instead we have some crap guy who makes every caller tell them somthing good about themselves and wont let you ask him questions.

s*** that sucks... haven't listened to the radio for a while. I think the weekend guy you speak of is Chris russel

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
I think J Hood just sounds weird on 1000. He was a D teamer at the Score so it'd be strange to have him in a good slot on 1000. He's ok for late night or another insignificant time but I think he'd get eaten alive in a competitve timeslot.

Agree he would be toast 101

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
They'll be back next Monday. They are on "leave" for two weeks. I guess they played a "controversial" bit a few weeks ago and things have happened as a result of that.

Neither of them have been fired.

Do you recall what the bit was...? They are just "on vacation" is what one of their co-workers is saying. :huh

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
They'll be back next Monday. They are on "leave" for two weeks. I guess they played a "controversial" bit a few weeks ago and things have happened as a result of that.

Neither of them have been fired.

do you know if it was an off color bit, or was it the Bruce Levine incident I mentioned some posts above?