Oh Frank, Please Quiet Down

Steve9347

I love you big guy, but why did you have to go out like this?

(note to reader, the saucy s*** is near the bottom)

Big Frank had another exit in mind

January 27, 2006

BY CHRIS DE LUCA Staff Reporter Advertisement

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Frank Thomas is eager to embrace the next challenge in his career, one that no longer involves representing the White Sox. But shortly after he slipped on an Oakland Athletics cap and No. 35 jersey Thursday at McAfee Coliseum, the Big Hurt fired a few parting shots toward the South Side.

Stressing that he was shocked and disappointed his 16-year association with the White Sox ended in December with only a voice mail from general manager Ken Williams, the one-time face of the franchise questioned the decision to replace him at designated hitter with Jim Thome and wondered aloud if the Sox really can repeat their World Series championship. Thomas also revealed he wanted to be activated in the postseason, only to be thwarted by Williams.

This awkward exit by an icon has left a lasting impression with Thomas.

''They chose to handle me in the same way they handled everybody else, and it was discouraging,'' Thomas said after his joint news conference with A's general manager Billy Beane. ''Bottom line is, they didn't call. Not just Kenny. I think it should have more been [chairman] Jerry Reinsdorf. Jerry should have called because Kenny was only my GM for five years and I was Jerry's player for 16.

''There's a way of handling people with respect. I showed them loyalty for [16] years. I just really don't know what happened.''

Contacted Thursday night, Williams was equally shocked when told of Thomas' comments.

''Wow,'' Williams said. ''We took great pains at every step of the way over the years to make sure something like this didn't happen. Obviously, in Frank's eyes, it wasn't enough. Well, I'm sorry.''

Thomas, 37, signed a one-year, $500,000 contract with the A's, who could pay him an extra $2.6 million if incentives are reached in 2006.

Instead of picking up Thomas' option worth $10 million for 2006, the Sox bought out his deal for $3.5 million in November. There was still a chance he could return, with the re-signing of free-agent first baseman Paul Konerko an uncertainty after Thome had been acquired from the Philadelphia Phillies. When Konerko re-signed with the Sox, and then the club didn't offer Thomas salary arbitration in December, his career in Chicago was effectively over.

''I was shocked,'' Thomas said. ''It wouldn't have been about money this year with me, it would have been just about my closure in Chicago.''

How did Thomas think the Sox should have handled his exit.

''I thought it would be more of a phone call,'' Thomas said. ''Kenny is probably going to say, 'Hey, I acknowledged him in the World Series parade and we had him throw out the first pitch.' But I never would have done that stuff if I knew I was leaving.''

Williams' reaction?

''I was blown away the first time he said that at the winter meetings, and I'm blown away by this round,'' Williams said. ''There are certain times when you have to make the decision that it is best to take one in the gut and not respond.

''If he feels there was not the proper expression of gratitude and appreciation for his years of service, maybe there will be an opportunity to do that man-to-man, eye-to-eye.''

Compounding Thomas' frustration was his feeling the Sox deemed him damaged goods because of a fractured left ankle that limited him to 34 games.

''That's what really got under my craw,'' Thomas said. ''I think if the message was, 'We are going in a different direction,' it wouldn't have been as hard. And people wouldn't have been looking at me, going, 'Is this guy really injured, or what's going on?' Because how do you just get rid of a great player like this? And it was more like being dumped than released.''

Thomas says he knew his Sox career was over in September, when he hinted about making a comeback from his ankle problems to help out in the postseason. The next day, Williams put Thomas on the 60-day disabled list, putting an end to such speculation.

''At the end of the playoffs last year, I felt if I wanted to be some type of super hero, I could have tried to play,'' Thomas said. ''And probably had some effect.''

Did the Sox seriously consider Thomas as a potential secret weapon for the postseason?

''Uh, no,'' Williams said. ''Because I was dealing with all of the information I had at the time, that information told me that if I were to put him out there with that particular injury, I would have put Frank's career and future at risk. He may not see it that way, but I'll go to sleep at night knowing I did what was best for him and his career -- and that was giving him the opportunity to play this season.''

On the Thome signing, Thomas said: ''I'm shocked they brought in Jim Thome. He was more injured than I was last year. And they guaranteed him all that money. So I don't know where they're going with that. What's the logic behind it?

''He had two major injuries last year. Nothing against him. I love Jimmy. Jimmy's a good friend, but bottom line, he's never done anything that I haven't done on a baseball field.

''But he's a big left-handed presence; maybe that's what they wanted, just a big left-handed hitter. It wasn't a better hitter, I'm gonna tell you that right now.''

As for the Sox repeating as world champions, Thomas shook his head.

''Not to toot my own horn, there are a lot of great players over there, a great pitching staff -- an unbelievable pitching staff -- but the core of that team has changed,'' Thomas said. ''I know people are talking about a repeat, but they lost nine players off that team.''

Still, Thomas insists he isn't bitter.

''I envisioned myself retiring there, but sometimes things don't work out the way you want them to,'' Thomas said. ''I will be missed there.

''I'm not living as a bitter bird, and I don't want you to portray it like that. I'm not bitter. I just wish it could have ended like it should have ended -- and that's with mutual respect.''

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've defended Frank a lot over the years, but this stuff really bothered me. I've loved Frank since he was in a Sox uniform, and think he just has a bad way of handling press, because I use to work at Oakbrook mall when Frank had his house out here. I've run into him a number of times over the years, as have many of my friends and he has been nothing but an extremely friendly person.

Now, to read this is really dissapointing. Listen, I would have loved Frank to end his career with the Sox, but at this point in his career and where the Sox were, it wasn't a real option. I know Thome was hurt last year, but that was his first major injury in many, many years, and Frank has been struggling with injuries over what, the last 4 years? Maybe Thome will never recover and that trade will be a bust, but personally I feel more comfortable with him than Thome at this point.

To add a positive story about Frank, the first time I saw him out in public i was probably about 12 or 13 and was with my father. While other people were going up and asking for autographs and such my father wouldn't let me because he feels (as I do now, and if I ever have children will do the same thing) that celebrities should be allowed to go out in public without being bothered. I was wearing a Sox hat, and we were pretty close to where Frank was, he wasn't mobbed or anything so he noticed that I was a little upset and kind of overheard what my dad was saying. So he actually came over thanked my dad for having respect for him and he signed my Sox hat and took a picture with me, which I still have all these years later.

Edited by SoxFan562004

Frank wanted to be activated for the playoffs????????? I guess he figured that walking cast on his foot at the time wasn't gonna slow him down that much. He isn't going to be ready to go at the beginning of next year much less the playoffs.

To me..that request sounds more like a move for Frank's ego than a move for the White Sox.

Frank...i love and respect what you did here for many many years but take a page from Aaron Rowand's book and move on. He is gone as well and isn't b****ing, and honestly...Rowand had ALOT more to do with the Sox success than you did.

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 12:08 PM)
Alright, quick little piece of grammar for all you guys:

Quite, adv. - Actually, to a degree, to the greatest extent

Quiet, adj. or v. - Making little or no noise

English 101 (or 3rd grade spelling)

Thank you for saying what I was thinking....

I too was very upset when i read this. When i got the ozzie plan, i made sure to get tickets to the first game against the A's because all signs pointed to him signing there and I wanted to cheer and welcome him home.

Now, not so much.

I supported him the whole time he was here and defended even his most outragous comments. But because of these comments and his whole attitude while he was I think perhaps he deserves more boos than cheers when May 22nd comes around -- even if he is the great white sox player ever.

I still, however, am torn with what I will do when that comes up.

Thanks for giving me one last memory Frank. I always loved you and know that with you, we get: a great hitter on the field, a nice guy to fans off the field and a malcontent towards the organization. I would expect nothing less than what you said after your press conference so it doesn't change my opinion of you one bit.

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 11:08 AM)

In related news, there is no such word as "teh".

Thank you.

:D

QUOTE(juddling @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
Frank wanted to be activated for the playoffs?????????  I guess he figured that walking cast on his foot at the time wasn't gonna slow him down that much.  He isn't going to be ready to go at the beginning of next year much less the playoffs. 

To me..that request sounds more like a move for Frank's ego than a move for the White Sox. 

What pissed me off is that he also said that he rushed back when the Sox were winning when the ankle was only 70% and if they weren't doing as well he would have waited. So that means that all he wanted was to attach his name to a winning team not be part of a losing one. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that is BS. Had he come back for the playoffs in his condition he might have made it worse and been forced to retire.

You're right, it's all about his ego. He's a great player and should be a Hall of Famer and have a bronze statue at the Cell, but every time he opens his mouth something ridiculous comes out.

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 11:08 AM)

:lolhitting :notworthy

I love it!

After 16 years with a team and so many accomplishments I am sure he wanted to stay and would have taken a deal with the sox like he did with the A's, but it just wasn't the best for the team. I am sure some of those close feelings of his were hurt and he just had to vent. I look at FT no less after reading that than I did before.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
After 16 years with a team and so many accomplishments I am sure he wanted to stay and would have taken a deal with the sox like he did with the A's, but it just wasn't the best for the team. I am sure some of those close feelings of his were hurt and he just had to vent. I look at FT no less after reading that than I did before.

He could be a little mad that he's leaving this homer haven and going to a cavern.

I have no loss of respect for Frank. He's pissed he was let go. I don't see how that should affect any Sox fans whatsoever.

You guys are reading too much into things. In addition, it seems as though KW messes with a lot of people.

By the way, we'll see if we repeat or not. Just because someone says we aren't gonig too, doesn't mean much to me.

Edited by Beauty35thStreet

well this kind of changes my attitude about Frank's support for our organization. He says hes not bitter but in a way he is. I agree with the Big Hurt Jerry should have atleast called him. But KW and Jerry see this as a business and Frank shouldn't take it so personal. This article has got me thinking. Are we ever gonna see Frank supporting the south side again? Is he gonna be there if we decide to retire #35? Part of me believes yes Frank will be there but I honestly thought Frank would leave in a better way then this.

Edited by WinningUgly85

KW was on the score. He said when he was a player he found out he was traded by hearing it from their SS at the time Ozzie Guillen. He didnt like the way he heard things and made a point of making sure they heard the news from him first. He said he called Frank but never received a call back.

I'll concede that perhaps Kenny or Jerry could have shown a little more consideration/respect by calling or sitting down with Frank and telling him directly how he wasn't going to fit into their plans for the future.

I still wonder if Frank wouldn't have complained about some other aspect of how he was treated.

What bothered me most about his comments was that if he had known about his future, he wouldn't have thrown out the first ball of the ALCS or been in the parade. :angry:

He was among the very best in Sox history. He deserves a place on the outfield wall, HOF status, retired number, and other honors. But his mouth has tripped him up many a time during his years on the Sox.

P.S. There was a thread on whitesoxinteractive on this same topic. It was "magically" removed not long after it started because there was majority criticism of FT's words. I think the Mods and Admins. over there are Frankophiles.

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
I still wonder if Frank wouldn't have complained about some other aspect of how he was treated.

I agree with you, it seems he would have complained no matter what Jerry and KW did. If it was a phone call I think he would have complained it wasn't a face-to-face, and on and on

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)
I don't mind him saying anything. He's been a part of this team his whole career. I hope he gets his 500th this year. If the White Sox don't win it, I hope Oakland does with a healthy Frank.

Frank's gonna hit 52 homers this year in Oakland when we can't even remember the last time he was healthy?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
Frank's gonna hit 52 homers this year in Oakland when we can't even remember the last time he was healthy?

I said I hope he does. I realize he hasn't been completely healthy since around 2002 when he belted 40 something. It's possible, especially if he goes on the tear he did last year because his shots were not only HR's, but deeeeep HR's.

You do realize that if Frank had NOT rushed back in 2005 it is likely the Indians would have won the division & the White Sox might not have even won the WC. The team had gone into an offensive slump (Everett & Kong) & Thomas' return reinvigorated the offense.

Likewise when Thomas went down in late July the team went back into an offensive slump & the pitching got a little rocky.

As for an Oct return I think Kenny did the right thing. Thomas could have risked any chance of playing in 2006 or worse a career-ending injury if he had tried to pull a Gibson. I realize Frank will never see it that way because he feels he could have contributed in the post season but Kenny likely saved his 2006 season with the A's by saying no to Oct.