what kind of booze have you soured on?

thedoctor

we've all been there.

you love vodka. can't get enough. then one night you go out, drink tons of it and are rewarded with the mother of all hangovers the following day. the next time you try to drink it, it's not happening. it's been ruined for you, in some cases just for awhile, but in others, forever.

here are mine, and the stories behind:

jim beam: one of the first times i ever drank we snuck into the parent's liquor stash and got totally faced off of beam. the next day i had to work and spent the whole day puking. i was 18 at the time, and 15 years later i've still never had it again.

southern comfort: after i night of drinking i was a bit hungover and cotton mouthed. i went to the fridge and saw a two-liter of 7-up. it looked good so i started chugging it. unfortunately it was a 7-up so-co mix from the previous weekend. more puking, etc. followed.

i also am currently fighting off a bad bout with red wine. it's been a month, and so far no dice. i really like red wine so i hope it passes.

Southern Comfort: First hard liquor I ever tried and I thought it tasted like NyQuil. Now so-co AND NyQuil have been ruined forever (although I still take "the Big Q" but only if I have to).

Grape Juice: Drank too much when I was 6 and threw up purple the rest of the day. Still can't drink it. :P

scotch.

I thought it tasted really good as a 16 or 17 year old at a buddy's house. I have no idea how much I drank, but I proceded to throw up in their pool, in their bathtub, in the yard in front of his parents. I ended up at a pizza joint passed out and my dad happened to walk in. Fortunately he didn't see me, but just the scent of scotch now makes me queasy.

I have a few, I will go chronologically.

Bacardi-Drank a fifth when I was on a cruise in HS with my parents and friends. Drank a few beers, had some more shots, a little something else, and puked the whole flight home to chicago from San Juan. To this day, the bottle makes me cringe.

151- In my fraternity, big brother night is a huge party. And your big usually gets you messed up. I was best friends with my big's real little brother so he took it extra hard on me. I had to finish, or come close to finishing a bottle of 151. I dont remember a thing other than waking up on a slide in the day care building's playground, no shirt, no shoes. To this day, the bottle makes me ill.

Black House/Rumplemints: College. Wager. Shots. Puking. Never again

Jager: Being a bartender in college, this was all we drank, I cant anymore

Mezcal: A friend told me it was the best and only real tequilia, tasted like burnt wood, makes me gag when I smell it.

I had lots of bad experiences, from college and being a long time bartender I had soured from many a drink after much overexposure. I still do not drink clear liquor to this day.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 08:08 PM)
i also am currently fighting off a bad bout with red wine. it's been a month, and so far no dice. i really like red wine so i hope it passes.

I used to think there was no hangover like a wine hangover. Until I got a grappa hangover. Holy... I don't think I could get that stuff down again.

The first time I had Seagrams, I got so drunk I begged this girl I was out with to pleeeease stick her fingers down my throat so I could puke. 28 years later, I can enjoy a Gin & tonic, a extra, dry martini, Stoli with a couple olives, great, good, bad, and ugly tequila, but never put whisky near me. :puke

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
I used to think there was no hangover like a wine hangover.  Until I got a grappa hangover.  Holy...  I don't think I could get that stuff down again.

Grappa hangovers can be monstrous.

As to the original topic, I can't think of anything. I enjoy C2H5OH in all its wondrous forms.

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
tequila.......  enough said.....

I hear that. Four or five years ago I had a god awful night with tequilla, last year one of my friends bought me a tequilla shot, it immediately came back up. Now I can't even smell the stuff without getting nauseous.

any coconut rum, especially malibu. got drunk at the girlfriend's house when I was 17 or so. Ended up getting ridiculously sick but was supposed to drive home to make curfew. i couldn't even call home. the girlfriend called and told my moms I had bad eggs at denny's and was too sick to drive. felt like ass the next day.

also, tequila. i've gotten sick from it numerous times but it never really bothered me much to drink it again. something happened because i can't smell the s*** anymore without gagging. i have actually smelled f***ing tequila in my dreams and it woke me up, with no tequila in the room anywhere.

Ive had many fights with Jack Daniels but the worst of em had to have been back in September of 2003.

I had just got back from Iraq like 2 weeks before that and had gone 9 months with no alcohol and my tolerance was about zero. I end up going to Wisconsin with my cousin and some of her friends over Labor Day weekend and we end up in this s***ty sportsbar with about 3 other people in the whole place besides us. Anyhooooo, the rest of the group has their little A-B conversation going on and I was getting really bored with being C so I start slamming Jack and Cokes. In the space of 40 minutes I slammed 9 of em. It didnt hit me until I stood up to go to the bathroom and then it felt like a train just hit me. I ran for the bathroom and proceeded to worship the porcelin god, several times.

When I finally stopped throwing up I stood up and I was completely out of it. So out of it, in fact, that I couldnt find my way out of the toilet stall. For 5 minutes I fumbled around looking for a way out of there before finally I accidentally hit the latch with my hand and the door swung open. I staggered to where my cousin and her friends were and said........"time to go". Next thing I remember Im waking up face down on the floor of their house with a massive hangover.

None of those people, my cousin included, would speak to me after that so I poured some salt on the wound calling her up and leaving a message saying she was a stuck up b****.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 06:01 PM)
mistake.

Of course. How can anyone forget THEE rhyme?

Beer before Liquor, never been sicker.

Liquor before Beer, you're in the clear.

Personally, after my souring incident I usually stay away from hard liquor. No matter how much I dilute a particular drink with juice, or pop, or whatever else, I can't stomach the taste. This is due to an evening spent at Ripon, Wisconsin with friends. Apparently, up yonder in Cheese Country, they enjoy drinking hard liquor at casual events. They happened to have Captain Morgain available, which I found suitable when mixed with RC Cola. I remember taking it easy for a few hours because I wasn't willing to lit my inhibitions go at 10pm. Several hours later, I began taking it down--and damn, did I reget it.

What started the vomit-a-thon for me was when I entered the bathroom to piss, noticed I stepped on something soft, and no longer could contain the Captain when I realized I stepped on someone elses pile of puke. I've never felt worse in my life. The next day, I didn't eat until 9pm--nearly 15 hours after I last ate. I know not eating makes it worse, but I couldn't even smell food without gagging.

Captain Morgan made a powerful enemy that day.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 01:50 AM)
Ive had many fights with Jack Daniels but the worst of em had to have been back in September of 2003.

I had just got back from Iraq like 2 weeks before that and had gone 9 months with no alcohol and my tolerance was about zero.  I end up going to Wisconsin with my cousin and some of her friends over Labor Day weekend and we end up in this s***ty sportsbar with about 3 other people in the whole place besides us.  Anyhooooo, the rest of the group has their little A-B conversation going on and I was getting really bored with being C so I start slamming Jack and Cokes.  In the space of 40 minutes I slammed 9 of em.  It didnt hit me until I stood up to go to the bathroom and then it felt like a train just hit me.  I ran for the bathroom and proceeded to worship the porcelin god, several times. 

When I finally stopped throwing up I stood up and I was completely out of it.  So out of it, in fact, that I couldnt find my way out of the toilet stall.  For 5 minutes I fumbled around looking for a way out of there before finally I accidentally hit the latch with my hand and the door swung open.  I staggered to where my cousin and her friends were and said........"time to go".  Next thing I remember Im waking up face down on the floor of their house with a massive hangover. 

None of those people, my cousin included, would speak to me after that so I poured some salt on the wound calling her up and leaving a message saying she was a stuck up b****.

^ Hilarious.

I was probably 19 years old and me and 2 of my boys bought a bottle of Jack (my suggestion, even though I had no experience with it) and case of beer. There was that one liqour store that sold booze to anyone. They did the smart thing and had a few beers. I had to be Johnny bad ass and proceed to slam shots like it was Kool Aid and call them both candy ass pussies. I must have killed half a bottle in an hour and I was buzzed, but actually doing OK....for a while. We decided walk to the 7-11 for munchies. They went in first and thought I was behind them. I decided to relieve my bladder...on the street....in the parking lot.....facing OUTWARD toward everyone walking and driving by. Next thing I know the cops pull up and are in my face yelling at me and I puke all over the place including their shoes. Everything after that is a complete blank.

My buddies tell me they had to beg the cops not to take me in. I'm not sure how they did it, being as we were all clearly under age, but they promised them to take me straight home, which they did. Dragged me to my boy's place was probably more like it. I remember waking up numerous times throughout the night to puke and having ZERO balance control. I mean the room was spinning at HIGH speed, so I was banging into walls and falling down as I tried to reach the toilet every time. I got otta bed at like 3 pm the next day, with lots of bruises and was not feeling 100% until the following day.

Nope, no more Jack for Los.

My elixer of horrors is gin. No real story to go with other than I just drank too much of it after a few beers. The hangover the next day the cause of the only time I have ever missed a day of work due to alcohol. Fortunately, I was working a temporary contruction job to fill in between jobs with my regular crew. I called the guy I was working for and told him I wasn't coming due to a hangover. He said, "Okay. See ya tomorrow."

Edit: I've tried gin one time since then (the first incident happened about 25 years ago) and it tasted like paint thinner smells to me.

Edited by YASNY