Mets fan site - Contreras thread...

RudyLawRules

this is a great quote from the Mets message board about Contreras and the staff as a whole:

"Considering that he is part of the 'amazing' White Sox rotation, I wonder how many would be in favour of this trade. I'd rather he was a mid season possibility, still not convinced that he like others in that rotation wasn't performing above his head."

its so laughable, those new yorkers really hate the second city.

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
this is a great quote from the Mets message board about Contreras and the staff as a whole:

"Considering that he is part of the 'amazing' White Sox rotation, I wonder how many would be in favour of this trade. I'd rather he was a mid season possibility, still not convinced that he like others in that rotation wasn't performing above his head."

...with envy.

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)

Yup. This quote is priceless:

I wouldn't mind Contreras, but it would have to be for spare parts/low level minor leaguers...

Unreal. I know one season (or 1/2 for that matter) doesn't make a career but JC went 11-2 with a 2.96 ERA in the second half and then went 3-1 with a 3.09 ERA in post season run. For "spare parts/low level minor leaguers" ? ? ? :bang

It is funny that they seem to think that the Mets could get him for a bunch of garbage and spare parts. I realize that we aren't going to get Milledge, but Kenny is going to net something useful if that trade happens.

I understand that he's old and doesn't have a lot of time left on his deal, but he was also one of the best pitchers in baseball down the stretch. The only guy I would trust on their staff is Pedro, and if they're in it around the trade deadline I'd move to get another solid starter pretty fast. Adding Zito or Contreras (unless he starts pitching like his old self) would be huge, making Glavine the 3rd starter instead of the second. I might not want him in New York given how he performed there last time, however. Another issue is that the Sox probably wouldn't want to trade him once the season gets going unless we have some major problems.

Guys newsflash:

EVERY fan of EVERY team thinks they can get a player for garbage prospects. Look at our trade wins forum. How many people thought that Baj and Borchard would net us a real player? Go back to the Chavez trade threads and see how many people though crede/gload would net us Chavez.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
Guys newsflash:

EVERY fan of EVERY team thinks they can get a player for garbage prospects.  Look at our trade wins forum.  How many people thought that Baj and Borchard would net us a real player?  Go back to the Chavez trade threads and see how many people though crede/gload would net us Chavez.

We don't overestimate trade value at all. Heck, I'm still waiting for Philly to announce the Abreu for Gload trade.

:P

Guys newsflash:

EVERY fan of EVERY team thinks they can get a player for garbage prospects.  Look at our trade wins forum.  How many people thought that Baj and Borchard would net us a real player?  Go back to the Chavez trade threads and see how many people though crede/gload would net us Chavez.

Haha, so true.

Many of the posters there would rather trade for Zito than Contreras. I really can't argue with that. Zito has had more consistent success than Contreras.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
Haha, so true.

Many of the posters there would rather trade for Zito than Contreras.  I really can't argue with that.  Zito has had more consistent success than Contreras.

If I were sitting there, not having watched a ton of Sox games last year...I'd go with the lefty who had won a Cy Young too.

That said...If I had to pick the Zito of last year versus the Contreras of the 2nd half last year...there's not a doubt in my mind I pick Jose, even over the righty.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
If I were sitting there, not having watched a ton of Sox games last year...I'd go with the lefty who had won a Cy Young too.

That said...If I had to pick the Zito of last year versus the Contreras of the 2nd half last year...there's not a doubt in my mind I pick Jose, even over the righty.

I take the 27 year old over the likely 40+ year old anyday of the week, especially when you look at Zito's consistancy.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
I take the 26 year old over the likely 40+ year old anyday of the week, especially when you look at Zito's consistancy.

He was comparing both their performances from the 2nd half of last year, not who'd you take, because I'm sure most people would rather hav Zito for the obvious reasons.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 09:31 PM)
He was comparing both their performances from the 2nd half of last year, not who'd you take, because I'm sure most people would rather hav Zito for the obvious reasons.

Oh, alright. I misunderstood it, sorry :P

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
you consider Zito consistent?

For one i thought you were making fun of the spelling... therefore making fun of how you awlays say a course instead of... of course.

Compile a list of pitchers that have had eras under four in five of the last six seasons ( first year he was brought up only had 93 and two thirds innings pitched). Also is that list make sure you find pitchers with over 200 innings pitched for five straight years. He has actually done so five straight years with over 210 innings pitched + he is a lefty. Only problem i would have with him is he is a severe fly ball pitcher. Way more so than garcia who also concerned me when we acquired him... he turned into a ground ball pitcher last year, thankfully, if not we would have had some problems.

If barry zito is not consistent there isn't any body in the league that is.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 05:22 PM)
For one i thought you were making fun of the spelling... therefore making fun of how you awlays say a course instead of... of course.

Compile a list of pitchers that have had eras under four in five of the last six seasons ( first year he was brought up only had 93 and two thirds innings pitched). Also is that list make sure you find pitchers with over 200 innings pitched for five straight years. He has actually done so five straight years with over 210 innings pitched + he is a lefty.  Only problem i would have with him is he is a severe fly ball pitcher. Way more so than garcia who also concerned me when we acquired him... he turned into a ground ball pitcher last year, thankfully, if not we would have had some problems.

If barry zito is not consistent there isn't any body in the league that is.

If we are not counting 2000...not sure if you are...Buehrle fits that category perfectly. And the only year he did put up an ERA over 4 was when he put up a 4.14 in 2003, a year in which he had one of the worst months of his career, putting up an 0-4 record with a 7.16 ERA and a 2.06 WHIP in May.

Regardless...Buehrle is one of the few lefties in the game that can be considered more consistent than Zito...and that can be argued either way.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
than faltering when it gets near playoff time and in the playoffs.

lol..

Zito's career playoff stats:

3-2, 2.76 ERA, 32.2 IP, 32 K, 11 BB, 1.06 WHIP

And yes, Zito is consistant.

zito is consistent, jose is good. id rather have zito, but thats mostly for the age factor. wut kills me is that all these new yorkers flattering themselves, thinking they have the 2 best teams in the MLB when actually i think the white sox will man handle both of them! our pitching is at least worth twice as much as either of these teams! even with pedro and RJ, but if you look at it, who else do they have! we have 5 good starters, they have 1 each!