Carlos Lee...

wilmot825

I was reading the paper,not sure if was the Tribune or Herald, today and an article caught my attention. Carlos Lee may be heading back to the White Sox in enxchange for Jose or Dye. This could be just writters putting out crap for people to read or this could be reality. I say no to Carlos, bad defense and a big contract equal bad team chemistry.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
I was reading the paper,not sure if was the Tribune or Herald, today and an article caught my attention. Carlos Lee may be heading back to the White Sox in enxchange for Jose or Dye. This could be just writters putting out crap for people to read or this could be reality. I say no to Carlos, bad defense and a big contract equal bad team chemistry.

He wasn't even talking about offseason. He was speculating about the possible need for a big bat come July, and he mentioned both Chicago baseball teams, not just the Sox. Of course, predicting who might need what bats in July at this point is sort of ridiculous, if you ask me.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
Kenny even made mention to him being a team cancer at soxfest without actually mentioning his name.

Yes, this happened.

And yes, everyone knew he was talking about Lee.

And yes, he will never be on the White Sox again, at least not on KW or Ozzie's watch.

His line of think as I see it is that we have an unknown in the OF playing CF. We are all hoping that person can hit reasonably well but we really don't know. No one slated for that spot has any experience when it comes to enduring a slump in the MLs. Rowand himself had to be sent down more than once to get it right.

So if that hole in the OF can't be plugged then the quickest fix might be to move Pods to CF & trade for Lee. July is mostly about quick fixes for a ball club.

As for signing Lee to a multi-year that's going to depend on:

1) How does Dye hold up in RF this year

2) How our CF option does

3) Other players besides Lee that can play the OF

4) How much can we afford to spend

As Sox fans we are hoping 1) & 2) eliminate the need for Lee or any player like him.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
He is on the trading block from what I hear but I doubt we brng him back.... they wouldnt want Dye/Jose anyways prob want younger guys who are under contract for a longer time.

The Brewers are probably a top starter away from being a contender this year, and you could probably find a platoon to play LF for the year.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
The Brewers are probably a top starter away from being a contender this year, and you could probably find a platoon to play LF for the year.

If the Brewers manage to swing Carlos for a decent starting pitcher (preferably a lefty) they will win the NL Central next year. Hell, even if they don't trade Carlos I think they have a hell of a chance. This team is really starting to grow on me.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
If the Brewers manage to swing Carlos for a decent starting pitcher (preferably a lefty) they will win the NL Central next year. Hell, even if they don't trade Carlos I think they have a hell of a chance. This team is really starting to grow on me.

They are my pick, and have been since the end of last year ;)

Also, thanks to whoever changed the title of this thread. It was very misleading originally.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)

I sat here reading your post thinking..."Who out there with some cash could/should be in the market for an outfield bat this year, and do they have pitching to trade"?

Immediately, my head spat out: Why not Anaheim? If they want to make a run at that division this year they need another bat, they're pretty close to signing Weaver so they may have an extra arm, and if the Brewers didn't ask for Ervin Santana, they might be able to do something there. The Angels would also have the money to resign CLee if they wanted to.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
C Lee is an FA next year correct?  If he makes it to that period, I wouldnt be surprised to see him with the flubs.

yeah thats a possiblity...either way can we just close this thread. its useless

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
C Lee is an FA next year correct?  If he makes it to that period, I wouldnt be surprised to see him with the flubs.

I still expect him to wind up with the Yankees, with Matsui moving to right to take over the position of Sheffield, whose contract ends and who seems like he's approaching retirement age there. Although Anaheim isn't a bad idea for him either, given how bad it looks like Anderson has dropped off. And there's certian to be a few others at the table, just a question of how much they want to pay for a power hitting left fielder.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
I still expect him to wind up with the Yankees, with Matsui moving to right to take over the position of Sheffield, whose contract ends and who seems like he's approaching retirement age there. 

CLee in left and Matsui in right in Yankee Stadium? You'd need Jim Edmonds and Rowand in Center at the same time to cover the alleys for those guys. Carlos as DH for the Yanks, that I can see. But he'd be a great fit for the Cubs, the way he hit at Wrigley.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 05:24 AM)
CLee in left and Matsui in right in Yankee Stadium? You'd need Jim Edmonds and Rowand in Center at the same time to cover the alleys for those guys. Carlos as DH for the Yanks, that I can see. But he'd be a great fit for the Cubs, the way he hit at Wrigley.

He wouldn't be facing Cub pitching at Wrigley though .... big difference.