Ricky Williams fails 4th drug test

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/13913976.htm

Dolphins running back Ricky Williams faces at least a one-year suspension from the NFL after testing positive for drug use a fourth time under the league's substance abuse policy.

Two sources confirmed a report by WSVN-TV that Williams had failed the test, although neither would say the substance Williams used. On three previous occasions, Williams had tested positive for using marijuana.

Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene declined to comment Sunday night.

''Because of the confidential nature of the league's substance abuse policy, we can't comment on any aspect of that program,'' Greene said.

Williams returned to the NFL this season after retiring for the 2004 season. He missed the first four games of the season and was fined an additional four weeks of salary from the second and third violations of the substance abuse program.

Those positive tests had occurred in December 2003 and in the 2004 offseason. Williams returned to have a productive season.

Williams has spent much of the offseason in Northern California studying yoga and holistic medicine.

And I thought he changed, man, some people can be so stupid. Way to waste all that talent Ricky.

yeah thats true although I'm not sure if they still forgive the 8 million or so they wanted back. Originally when he came back he said it was only for a year so maybe he flunked on purpose. I dunno. This is a mild surprise just because of all the reports about how much he liked Nick Saban and not having to be a 350 carry a year back since he had Ronnie Brown with him

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 11:09 PM)
This is unfortunate. He was close to being all the way back to the guy he was with 1800 yards. Clearly pot doesn't effect his play. I don't smoke but I say if it doesn't hinder your performance, the NFL shouldn't regulate it. Thats just me

You do realize its an illegal drug, right? If it were legal and the league banned it, thats a different case. But pot isn't legal..

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
This is unfortunate. He was close to being all the way back to the guy he was with 1800 yards. Clearly pot doesn't effect his play. I don't smoke but I say if it doesn't hinder your performance, the NFL shouldn't regulate it. Thats just me

If you gave me the money he was getting and I was told you have to drink water and eat Peanut Butter sandwiches only, guess what, I would have a new favorite food and drink. The fact that he cannot give up some recreational drug over gobs and gobs of money just proves that Mike Tyson isnt the only insane athlete.

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
You do realize its an illegal drug, right?  If it were legal and the league banned it, thats a different case.  But pot isn't legal..

neither is downloading copyright-protected songs off the internet, but you don't see the NFL suspending guys for loading up their iPods with old Snoop Dog songs. :P

Yes I am aware of pot being an illegal drug. Think that most jobs, if they even test, do so when you are hired and then not really again. I don't know why sports would or should be any different. You might be doing illegal drugs after getting your job but unless your performance is hindered (and Williams' never was) then it shouldn't come up. Ricky Williams was never caught by the police, just the piss man. I'm just saying the piss man shouldn't exist

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 08:41 PM)
Yes I am aware of pot being an illegal drug. Think that most jobs, if they even test, do so when you are hired and then not really again. I don't know why sports would or should be any different. You might be doing illegal drugs after getting your job but unless your performance is hindered (and Williams' never was) then it shouldn't come up. Ricky Williams was never caught by the police, just the piss man. I'm just saying the piss man shouldn't exist

If Ricky Williams wasn't a famous NFL player with gobs of money...do you think he would have as easy of a time not being caught?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
If Ricky Williams wasn't a famous NFL player with gobs of money...do you think he would have as easy of a time not being caught?

i'm not a celebrity. i have smoked pot with regularity for five years and i've never been caught. why should the nfl care if its players are taking non-performance enhancing drugs?

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 11:41 PM)

I dont see how you can positively say that Ricky Williams performance was not hindered by pot. There is no way you can prove that. If you look at his game log, he is up and down all year long.(http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?playerId=1756) 8 yards, -1 yards, 82 yards, 52 yards, 13 yards, 83 yards, 82 yards, 42 yards, 28 yards, 70 yards, 170 yards, 108 yards. That doesnt prove to me that he was close to being the guy who could rush for 1800 again.

Do you think Pot didnt hinder Rashaan Salaam? I wish there was a piss man that would have caught his fumbling ass.

If you are going to go by game log you have to remember that he was the number 2 back and he had a slow start from the time off. Clearly, his YPC were pretty good this year. I now believe that Ricky did not fail a 4th test. I think that he didn't take it because he's in India and that is what has caused all this. Thats what is between the lines on this story

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
I think that he didn't take it because he's in India and that is what has caused all this. Thats what is between the lines on this story

Could you point that line out? The line I read says he spent most of the off-season in Northern California.

And if you dont take your test, that is a failed test. Its pretty simple, you take the test when you are told. Ricky knows this, he has been through the drug programs, Im sure the CBA guidelines to drug tests have been read to him forwards and backwards.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)
Could you point that line out?  The line I read says he spent most of the off-season in Northern California. 

Sandy Williams told the newspaper her son is currently in India and that they had not spoken of late. She speculated that he could have tested positive for a legal supplement he is taking in connection with his yoga studies.

"I'll bet my life he's not smoking marijuana," she told the Post on Sunday. "He's so particular about what he puts in his body now. I would just be shocked. I just don't believe he's smoking weed."

"I'm thinking maybe it was one of his [legal] supplements for his yoga school. I really just don't believe he's smoking weed."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2336760

But yea, Ricky's been around long enough to know the rules.

Ricky just has to know that you dont take something without asking the team dietician or someone who knows what can and cannot be taken. I would feel bad for him if this was like a Jim Miller situation(where he got suspended 4 games for taking an OTC supplement), but this is his 4th damn time getting busted. Piss man or no piss man, Ricky is just being willfully ignorant.

But for all we know, Ricky played one more year to collect his signing bonus(so he can pay the 4 different mothers of his children, probably).

He's been in India for awhile now as per Cold Pizza. I would generally assume that he couldn't take a test from there. I don't know how testing affects most players as they surely vacation this time of year and I know that Williams is subject to more frequent testing. Not sure how this all went down but he has been out of the country for a months time and not necessarily smoking again

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
He's been in India for awhile now as per Cold Pizza. I would generally assume that he couldn't take a test from there. I don't know how testing affects most players as they surely vacation this time of year and I know that Williams is subject to more frequent testing. Not sure how this all went down but he has been out of the country for a months time and not necessarily smoking again

LOL, that sounds like it is straight out of White Sox Josh's book. How do you know what Ricky Williams has been doing with his life? None of us know. The guy is bi-polar, things change with him daily. Just because his mom is quoted saying she doesnt think he is smoking weed, doesnt mean he isnt.