2006 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=neel/060306

THE CUBS

You hear a lot of talk about the health, or lack thereof, of Kerry Wood and Mark Prior.

But they aren't the big story in Chicago. The big story in Chicago is non-roster invitee Marquis Grissom. Why, you say? What could a 39-year-old outfielder who played in just 44 games last season in San Francisco possibly bring to the mix?

Just this: If he makes the club, and if, say, the young Matt Murton struggles early in the season, or strains a hammy or some such sadness, the Cubs could play Marquis alongside Juan Pierre and Jacque Jones giving them what I believe to be the major leagues' first-ever All Faux French Outfield, which would, you know, be pretty funny.

Grissom has pretty much locked up a roster spot, as I said he would weeks ago. Dusty was already quoted as saying that Grissom doesn't really have to earn his roster spot because he's a veteran. Dusty said that Spring Training is mainly for the "young guys." :lol:

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/ml...xt=.jsp&c_id=kc

Notes: DeJesus inks long-term deal

Contract runs through 2010 with club option for 2011

By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Center fielder David DeJesus has agreed to a five-year guaranteed contract for $13.8 million through 2010.

In addition, the club holds an option for 2011 that could raise the total package to about $20 million.

"After the game [on Wednesday], I called my agent just to see what was going on, and they weren't going up any more, so I was like, 'Let's get it done,' " DeJesus said.

Edited by SSH2005

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/NASApp...t=.jsp&c_id=was

Nats ink Johnson to extension

First baseman signs on for three more years at $16.5 million

By Bill Ladson / MLB.com

VIERA, Fla. -- The Nationals signed first baseman Nick Johnson to a three-year, $16.5 million extension on Saturday morning.

Johnson was scheduled to become a free agent after the 2006 season and will earn $3.2 million, plus incentives based on playing time, this year. The 28-year-old has spent time on the disabled list in each of the past six seasons during his professional baseball career, the last five of which have been in the Majors with the Yankees and Expos/Nats.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/special3/a...backnb0312.html

Good debut

Reliever Jeff Bajenaru, acquired last week from the White Sox for shortstop Alex Cintron, made his first appearance for the Diamondbacks, tossing 1 1/3 innings against the Mariners.

Bajenaru entered with the bases loaded and struck out Rene Rivera on three pitches. He allowed an unearned run, a walk and no hits.

Bajenaru (who said he pronounces his name "badge-in-arrow") believes he has a better opportunity to crack the Diamondbacks' roster than he did the White Sox's.

"They pretty much had their bullpen set," he said. "It's a great opportunity to come over here and get a fresh start. It's a very young club. I'm excited about it."

38 year old Doug Brocail, reliever for the Padres, had an angioplasty.

The guy who attacked the Royals Coach at the Cell has violated his probation and will be spending 5 years in jail.

Pittsburgh's Chris Duffy and Curt Schilling are unhappy with each other after Schilling beaned Duffy in the head.

And the Braves signed Bobby Cox to a 2 year extension through the end of 07.

Is there a thread about Keith Foulke yet? I saw the bottom line during the Cuba/DR game and it said that Keith Foulke had two artificial joint lubrication injections on his knees and is due another one next week.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...rticleid=128551

FORT MYERS - While Red Sox officials continue to preach optimism concerning the return of closer Keith Foulke, sources confirmed yesterday that the pitcher has been getting injections of a joint lubricant during his rehabilitation from knee surgery.

Speaking by telephone late yesterday following the Red Sox’ spring training workout at their minor league complex, general manager Theo Epstein said Foulke’s rehabilitation from offseason surgery has been going “very well.” Epstein also stressed that Foulke is still in the final stages of his rehabilitation, helping to explain why he is behind other pitchers during the club’s spring program.

With the exception of Foulke and David Wells, who is also rehabilitating from offseason knee surgery, all Sox pitchers have been throwing live batting practice this week.

While Epstein would not disclose the precise nature of Foulke’s injections, the general manager ruled out cortisone. He cited club medical policy in refusing to elaborate on the nature of Foulke’s treatment.

However, according to sources, Foulke received an injection of a lubricant designed to minimize the friction that takes place in a joint like the knee after cartilage has been removed. Foulke had arthroscopic surgery on both knees last year, when he went 5-5 with 15 saves and 5.91 ERA in 43 appearances.

Though it remained unclear whether Foulke’s treatments warranted a high level of concern, there was some suggestion that such treatments are relatively unusual for athletes. Joint lubricants known as Hylan typically are used in older people with arthritis or osteoporosis, according to Web sites dedicated to the topic.

According to the same sites, Hylan contains synovial fluid, which serves as a lubricant in joints like the knee.

Foulke’s status is perhaps the most significant issue facing the Sox this spring as they prepare for the regular season. The Sox’ bullpen last year ranked last in the American League and 29th among the 30 major league clubs in ERA, a fact that resulted largely from Foulke’s ineffectiveness. Without Foulke to anchor their bullpen, the Sox relief corps was thrown into a state of disarray that persisted throughout the year.

Prior to last season, Foulke’s Red Sox career began with a brilliant 2004 campaign during which he went 5-3 with 32 saves and a 2.17 ERA. Foulke was positively sensational during the postseason, going 1-0 with three saves and a 0.64 ERA in 11 appearances covering 14 innings. Very easily, he could have been the Most Valuable Player of the World Series ahead of Manny Ramirez.

The Red Sox have yet to publicly discuss their plans should Foulke be injured or ineffective as closer in 2006. Some possible replacements could be veteran right-hander Mike Timlin or budding righty Jonathan Papelbon, who will start the club’s exhibition season opener tomorrow night.

Edited by kyyle23

Boston gave Francona a contract extension through 2008.

Kevin Millwood faced live batters for the first time yesterday, however Texas Pitcher Josh Rupe is out with some sort of arm soreness.

Juan Padilla, 29 year old right handed reliver for the Mets, will miss the season after elbow surgery.

Cesar "Trade Bait" Izturis is progressing well in rehab from surgery last year, and expects to be ready to play minor league games at the end of March. No idea where he'll actually play if he comes back. Anyone need a shortstop?

Armando Benitez of the Giants had a cortisone shot in his knee and won't be pitching for a few days.

Pedro Martinez threw to live batters for the first time this spring, thus putting him about 3 months ahead of Mark Prior.

An Atlanta group is looking to purchase the Braves.

Rich Harden is also throwing to live batters...minor leaguers, but live ones.

And the Minor Leagues are facing a possible umpire strike (Anyone looking for a job willing to be a strikebreaker?)

Latest News  Mar. 18, 2006 - 9:35 pm et

Frank Thomas (ankle) doubled and walked three times while hitting in a minor league game on Saturday.

Well, it would have been a double had Thomas been allowed to run. There's still no timetable for Thomas to appear in major league games.

Source:  Athletics.mlb.com

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...SPGELHSH8A1.DTL

Running Thomas: Frank Thomas took a major step in his return from fractures in his left ankle when he ran the bases for about five minutes Wednesday.

"I'm not going to kill anyone with my speed, anyway,'' Thomas said. "But if I can go first to third and score from second, that's the main thing.''

On Thomas' last trip around the bases, he hit third base with his left foot, though he'd intended on hitting it with his right.

"No problem,'' he said. "I knew (the ankle) was there when it hit, but it's OK as long as I don't overuse it.''

He'll be examined by team orthopedist Dr. Jerrald Goldman this weekend, and he could be cleared to play in a Cactus League game at that point, maybe as soon as Saturday, but more likely Sunday or Monday.

"I'm ready to go now, but I'd prefer to get eight, nine quality at-bats (at the minor-league complex),'' he said. "I'll be ready to go Opening Day.''

Thomas noted that he's had 21 plate appearances in minor-league games, and he usually gets about 35 during a regular spring, so he thinks he's right on track.

Today, he will hit against big-league pitching at the Papago Park complex, where Joe Blanton, Joe Kennedy and Kirk Saarloos will throw.

Sidney Ponson appears to have the Cardinals 5th starter spot wrapped up.

Jorge Posada took a ball to the face yesterday. Broken nose. Torre said he'll be out for a week or so.

Pedro Martinez won't be pitching for the Mets on Opening day. His toe keeps bothering him, and they may very well come knocking and meet KW's price for Jose.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
Sidney Ponson appears to have the Cardinals 5th starter spot wrapped up.

Jorge Posada took a ball to the face yesterday.  Broken nose.  Torre said he'll be out for a week or so.

Pedro Martinez won't be pitching for the Mets on Opening day.  His toe keeps bothering him, and they may very well come knocking and meet KW's price for Jose.

I saw that Posada incident on SportsCenter. It looked like he flat out missed catching the baseball. How bizarre.

From the LA Times:

The Angels, according to several sources, are searching for a veteran left-handed hitting reserve player and would be willing to part with reliever Esteban Yan or Kevin Gregg in a trade.