Everett takes jab -- moves too disruptive?

SSH2005

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So good-ole Carl says that they Yanks won back-to-back because they kept the "core" together. That must mean that Carl's crazy mind thinks that he, Frank, Willie, and Aaron were part of the "core." I find that hilarious...I can understand Aaron, but let's face it, if Carl didn't know Kenny cut the fat on this team from last year, he's even more full of himself than I thought. Oh Carl...Thome, put this moron to shame.

Edited by sircaffey

To me, the easiest thing to do is "predict" that the Sox won't repeat. It's very difficult to repeat, so many things have to fall into place for you. It's a cop-out move - if the Sox get to the ALCS and lose, Everett and Thomas and every other "psychic" can say "SEE? Told Ya!!" when the fact is the Sox would still have had a very successful season.

In my mind, it's cheap talk and sour grapes, mixed in with a bit of self-overvaluation on Carl and Frank's part.

The "third place in the division" part loses any credibility Carl might have had, though.

Edited by The Critic

Rowand wouldn't make comments like these because he has actual REAL friendships with current White Sox players. A lot of baseball players talk about chemistry and friendships, and never really had any part of friendships with players on the team aside from them being "work friends". Everett never came off as "one of the guys" to me...he doesn't fit the mold...and I could never see him "hanging out" with Crede, etc...like Rowand did.

Everett is simply bitter/jealous of being replaced by Thome. If Everett wasn't traded right now, and Rowand/Thomas/Harris were still gone, he'd be singing a different tune. I liked Everett, and how he played the game...and he's entitled to his opinion, which I think is wrong, but he's still entitled too it. That said, I believe this is more out of him takeing Big Hurts side than actually having resentment toward the team.

Sorry Carl, but i dont think Frank Thomas' "presence" in the clubhouse is worth a roster spot and the millions he would want from the White Sox(which he knows he wouldnt get anywhere else). I know Carl is controversial and says what is on his mind, but GMAFB Carl, you just got handed a World Series ring from the Organization(well, he will in a month). STFU.

Frankly, I've considered Everett overrated ever since he came to the Sox. He did get some big hits during his time here, but his overall numbers aren't that impressive. He also looks heavy again this season, so I'm glad the Sox decided to go with Thome instead of him or the Big Always Hurt. It appears his definition of being a leader is having a big mouth. There have been many great leaders who aren't necessarily very vocal.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
The more I hear Carl and Frank talk, the more respect I have for Ozzie for making the clubhouse get along so well last year.  This also makes me like guys like PK and Thome more.  Those are classy players who make it easy to root for them.

Yeah, thank god he saved us from that full organizational collapse that was taking place. :P

And I have no problem with what Carl said. We all know he likes to speak his mind, and he did just that here. I wish him the best in the future.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 09:04 AM)
Even if Thome died, I'd still rather have Ross Gload DH, or have Mack play 1B and DH Konerko, than have Carl back.  He was the worst DH in the league last year, in case we all forgot.

He was our 3 hitter for most of the year, but he was so bad in September that we moved Konerko and Dye into the 3 hole just to get production out of it. In fact Dye started hitting in the 3 hole the week before the playoffs start. If that didnt tell you where Crazy Carl was going I dont know what will.

Carl thanks for your efforts last year, but as this is 2006, STFU.

I think its kinda funny that this self-proclaimed leader was the same guy who complained about being moved down the lineup during a time he couldn't get a hit to save his life.

I don't blame Carl for being upset, but to think that the loss of Frank, Willie and his "leadership" will lead to the demise of this team is laughable. Carl may be right: we may fall flat on our face this season. But I'm quite confident that it won't be because the absence of himself, Frank and Willie, or even Aaron.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)
Carl may be right:  we may fall flat on our face this season.  But I'm quite confident that it won't be because the absence of himself, Frank and Willie, or even Aaron.

Of that group, I still think Aaron will be the loss felt most deeply. But I think you are right, even that won't cause the Sox to fall flat.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:21 AM)
Of that group, I still think Aaron will be the loss felt most deeply.  But I think you are right, even that won't cause the Sox to fall flat.

I agree that he'll be missed, especially in the clubhouse. But I just don't buy the whole loss of chemistry thing. If we win consistanty, the chemistry should take care of itself. And either way, I don't worry too much about chemistry with Ozzie at the helm.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 08:09 AM)
Carl has the right to his opinion, unlike a certain DH here, he hasn't been a primma donna asshole and clubhouse cancer for several years with the Sox.  With that said, I have the right to respectfully disagree with him.  :)

He hasn't? Spouting off again and again on his random political views in the middle of a season? Complaining about being moved down the lineup? He hasn't been A-Rod, but no matter whether or not you agree with him, I can't imagine people like seeing the names of their teammates pop up all over the place in random articles about whatever pointless thing he wants to complain about in the middle of a season. When we really did hit that losing skid, I still think part of the reason is that the team assumed they had it wrapped up, lost focus, and started complaining about things like how many people were in the stadium, where they were hitting in the lineup, lights in Center Field, etc., instead of playing their asses off like they should have been.

What Carl is missing is that chemistry can happen in spite of some people in a clubhouse, not because of them.

More from the Daily Herald...

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=165797

Everett takes his cuts

By Scot Gregor

Daily Herald Sports Writer

Posted Friday, March 10, 2006

TUCSON, Ariz. — If the White Sox are looking for some motivation as they prepare to defend their World Series championship, Carl Everett served up a heaping portion Thursday.

Now with the Seattle Mariners after batting .251 with 23 home runs and 87 RBI as the Sox’ primary designated hitter in 2005, Everett said his old team won’t be breaking out the champagne again this October.

“Being me and being honest, I’m going to say no, they can’t repeat,’’ Everett said in a wide-ranging interview before Thursday’s Cactus League game between the White Sox and the Mariners. “They are not going to have the same chemistry.’’

In addition to Everett, the Sox jettisoned Frank Thomas, Aaron Rowand, Orlando Hernandez, Luis Vizcaino, Damaso Marte, Willie Harris, Geoff Blum and Timo Perez from last year’s powerhouse outfit.

The White Sox added Jim Thome, Javier Vazquez, Rob Mackowiak and Alex Cintron, among others, but Everett said the damage already has been done.

“A lot of the chemistry in that clubhouse is gone,’’ Everett said. “Rowand, myself, even Willie and Frank. We all had a presence in there and now the new guys will have to fit in. You are bringing in guys to fit in.’’

The Sox didn’t have a .300 hitter or a 20-game winner last season. But they put up 99 wins during the regular season and went 11-1 in the playoffs, capped by a four-game sweep over the Houston Astros in the World Series.

“If you look at the last six World Series championships, it hasn’t been the most talented team,’’ Everett said. “It’s the team that plays together. So, they know each other, they sacrifice themselves for the other player. (The White Sox) separated a lot of that. You can’t win games on paper.’’

Upon hearing Everett’s comments, Sox general manager Kenny Williams flagged down the veteran DH after the exhibition game.

“No. 1, my feelings on Carl Everett are pretty clear,’’ Williams said. “I’ve traded for him twice, so that’s how much I respect him as a ballplayer and as part of the leadership on this team last year. He helped us win a World Series and I’ll never forget him for that.

“As far as his other feelings on our leadership or our chemistry we currently have, we just have to agree to disagree. And I wish him the best in Seattle, and he goes to Seattle with me giving them my highest recommendation to (Mariners GM) Bill Bavasi and the Mariners.’’

In addition to dismissing the White Sox’ goal of winning another World Series, Everett had plenty more to say.

• On the White Sox’ apparent lack of leadership in the clubhouse:

“You don’t have any voices in there to say, ‘Hey, let’s get this going,’æ’’ Everett said. “Thome is a nice guy, but I think early Thome will be feeling around first. They have a nice team, but at the same time, who knows?

“It’s a great squad. It’s a great squad. But it will surprise you who will be the voice in that clubhouse that nobody expected. (Catcher) A.J. (Pierzynski). A.J. will be the voice. People won’t think about that, but he will be the voice.’’

• On Sox manager Ozzie Guillen naming Paul Konerko team captain:

“He (Konerko) is not vocal. Neither was Frank, but I considered him one of the leaders. That captain stuff is overrated. I would never pick one guy as a captain; I wouldn’t want that pressure on me. I wouldn’t want to wear the ‘C’ on my shoulder. No. I mean, you see guys are wearing that thing reluctantly. That should stay in hockey.

• On Thomas’ feud with Williams last month, which resulted in Thomas being called “an idiot,’’ Everett sided with his former teammate:

“You know, I could say a lot of stuff about all the moves (Williams) has made. But why waste the time? I mean, I’m over here (Seattle). The only thing I frowned upon was the thing with him and Frank. That was bad. It was bad for both of them.

“A lot of times a GM doesn’t see the player’s perspective. I see Frank’s perspective. I’ve been (playing) 16 years. If it was me, I would want more than throwing out the first pitch or holding the trophy. I would want more. That’s me as a player.

“On this end, I don’t know the gist of all of it. But from looking on the television and hearing the stuff, I’m on Frank’s side because I’m a player.’’

• On why no team has won consecutive World Series titles since the New York Yankees (1998-2000):

“If you look at all the teams, there’s only one team that repeated, and they repeated with the same players and that was the Yankees. When you go thinking you have to make changes here and there, if you look at it, they are the only ones there every year.

“Chemistry and knowing each other, that’s the key. If you are going to learn anything, learn from the Yankees.’’

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)
What Carl is missing is that chemistry can happen in spite of some people in a clubhouse, not because of them.

That part I agree with, but at the same time Carl isn't going to go and say how awesome the White Sox are now that he plays in Seattle. At least he isn't taking personal shots at our GM, owner, and new DH.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 09:15 AM)
He was our 3 hitter for most of the year, but he was so bad in September that we moved Konerko and Dye into the 3 hole just to get production out of it.  In fact Dye started hitting in the 3 hole the week before the playoffs start.  If that didnt tell you where Crazy Carl was going I dont know what will. 

Carl thanks for your efforts last year, but as this is 2006, STFU.

I nominate this for the best post in this thread.