Who's on the radar?

kevo880

What?

The guy with a bloated salary who was called out by both KW and Ozzie last year for missing his starts???

Your suggestion from yesterday is still the best and cheapest alternative to replace Hermanson, IMO -- Antonio Osuna. He would probably only cost a minor league deal and we wouldn't have to give up any prospect(s) for him since he's a free agent. Urbina would be the best option but he hasn't been able to break out of jail yet.

Edited by SSH2005

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
You disappoint me.  Take a look at who they have in camp, a ton of guys and they aren't gonna have spots for all of them.  Casey Daigle is a good example, you know who he's married to, right?

he sucks, I would rather have his wife pitch.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 09:47 PM)
What?

The guy with a bloated salary who was called out by both KW and Ozzie last year for missing his starts???

Yup, that's him, the guy with an expiring contract, with post-season experience, and wore the White Sox uniform in October.

That's the one.

QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 14, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)
I know where your coming from but not with that salary.

You know, it's not that I even endorse the move, but, with Williams' past, he has shown he has no problem trading for guys he's got in the past...insert Robbie Alomar/Carl Everett joke here.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Sox seek relief help, with little success

By Dave van Dyck

Tribune staff reporter

March 14, 2006, 10:17 PM CST

TUCSON, Ariz. -- When the White Sox began planning the defense of their World Series championship, manager Ozzie Guillen had a simple request of general manager Ken Williams: "I said give me the best pitching staff you can find."

But with a little more than two weeks left in spring training, the Sox's pitching staff is strong at the start and solid at the end—and completely muddled in the middle. And that's being kind to the seven pitchers trying to grab the final two or three spots.

The only middle man assured of a job is Brandon McCarthy, who owns a 6.10 ERA this spring and has appeared in relief only twice in his brief career. If Dustin Hermanson's balky back isn't ready for Opening Day, McCarthy becomes a key man on the pitching staff, the bridge from the starters to the eighth and ninth innings.

Judging from his start Tuesday, his final start this spring, McCarthy is an unfinished product. He allowed Arizona seven hits and four runs in 32/3 innings. Probably Saturday or Sunday, he will move to his new role.

With it comes a major adjustment for the 22-year-old as he prepares mind and body to go from an every-five-days routine.

"A lot of it is just trying to get comfortable, so when you go out to the mound, you are going out there with everything you need," he said. "It's not necessarily where your arm is at. My arm can get loose in five minutes. It's me being comfortable throwing 10 times and then facing big-league hitters."

McCarthy's transformation is important to the Sox because only one of the many bullpen candidates at the start of spring, 21-year-old Boone Logan, has shown he is capable of getting hitters out.

"I worry about the guys who have the opportunity to make the team and they don't take advantage of it," Guillen said. "Right now they all [stink]. … That's one of the reasons we are bringing Logan [to big-league camp]. We'll keep looking around and see if anybody can do the job."

Most likely the Sox will break camp with 11 pitchers, meaning they need two of the seven candidates to step up.  A trade remains possible, though a scout for one team who may have a reliever for sale said, "Twenty-nine other teams want the same thing."

The Sox have five starters: Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Jose Contreras, Freddy Garcia and Javier Vazquez, the latter two at the World Baseball Classic.

They have three reliable relievers for the end of games: closer Bobby Jenks, right-hander Cliff Politte and left-hander Neal Cotts.

Then there's McCarthy and seemingly a cast of thousands, with the Sox wanting to take one more left-hander. They are:

Logan, 21: The left-hander was a 20th-round draft pick in 2002 and has spent three years at Triple A with a 5.49 ERA. "But I dropped [my arm] down last season and it took off from there," he said. He pitched two scoreless innings Monday against Oakland and is unscored on in three innings.

Javier Lopez, 28: The lefty was a fourth-round pick by Arizona in 1998 and has compiled a 6.09 ERA in 171 big-league games for Colorado and Arizona. He allowed two hits and a run in 11/3 innings Monday. But the big hits were by left-handers, which did not help his stock. For the spring he has a 6.14 ERA in 71/3 innings.

Armando Almanaza, 33: A left-handed free agent, he is 0-3 with a 7.58 ERA in 40 big-league games. He pitched Tuesday and was pounded for three runs in one-third of an inning. For the spring, he has a 15.43 ERA in 42/3 innings.

Austin Montero, 28: The right-hander signed as a free agent but has yet to appear in a major-league game. He pitched Monday and allowed three runs in two innings, also hitting a batter. He hadn't allowed a run in his previous three spring innings.

Paulino Reynoso, 25: The lefty has pitched five years in the minors, never getting above Double A. He allowed a run on two hits and two walks in one inning Tuesday after throwing five shutout innings previously.

Tim Redding, 26: A righty, he has appeared in 101 major-league games, but last year was 0-6 with 10.57 ERA while having shoulder problems. He pitched a scoreless inning Tuesday while giving up one hit. That lowered his spring ERA to 8.44 in five appearances.

Sean Tracey, 25: An eighth-round pick in 2002, the right-hander never has appeared above Double A and has been strictly a starter last two seasons. He pitched a scoreless inning Tuesday, though he allowed a hit and a walk. He has a 5.40 spring ERA.

"We're going to continue to look around and see what happens," Guillen said.

Meanwhile, McCarthy is far from matching his numbers from last spring (3-1, 3.79 ERA in five starts). He's 1-2 with that 6.10 ERA.

"The numbers aren't good, but it's kind of weird because if I stop and look at last year, it doesn't compare," he said. "But then I realize I came in with a completely different mind-set this year. [Tuesday] was the happiest I've been with an outing, and the numbers don't look good."

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=167087

Guillen not too high on Sox’ bullpen contenders

By Scot Gregor

Daily Herald Sports Writer

Posted Wednesday, March 15, 2006

TUCSON, Ariz. — White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen agrees with his general manager, Kenny Williams, that it’s still too early to worry about the bullpen.

But that didn’t stop Guillen from seriously wondering if the Sox can fill two openings with the unproven pitchers remaining in training camp.

Guillen got a close look at five of the candidates during an unsightly 12-5 Cactus League loss to the Arizona Diamondbacks on Tuesday. He obviously didn’t like what he saw.

“The opportunity is there, and nobody’s trying to grab it,’’ Guillen said. “They all (stink).’’

Having moved ineffective knuckleballer Charlie Haeger, Lance Broadway and Ray Liotta back to the minor leagues before Tuesday’s game, the White Sox narrowed the field of bullpen contenders to seven — right-handers Sean Tracey, Tim Redding and Agustin Montero and left-handers Paulino Reynoso, Armando Almanza, Javier Lopez and Boone Logan.

Almanza auditioned first Tuesday, and he was scorched for 4 runs (3 earned) on 3 hits while retiring just one hitter.

Montero followed Almanza and allowed 3 runs (2 earned) on 2 hits over 2 innings. Reynoso, who didn’t give up a run in his first 5 spring innings, gave up 1 run on 2 hits and a walk in 1 inning.

Redding and Tracey each finished with 1 scoreless inning, but they’ve struggled through much of the Cactus League.

“The big boys are pitching well,’’ Guillen said of Sox pitchers who already have jobs wrapped up. “We play the first five innings pretty good and then we fall apart.’’

After the White Sox lost yet another exhibition game, Guillen said he needs to see steadier efforts from his unproven group of relievers.

“One day they’re good and the next day they’re not,’’ Guillen said. “We need them to be consistent. They all know they have a shot, and they should take advantage of it.’’

Logan, who was moved up to major-league camp Tuesday after pitching 2 scoreless innings against the Oakland Athletics the day before, seems to be the only pitcher taking the opportunity seriously.

But can the Sox afford to take a chance on the unknown left-hander, who split last season between Advanced Rookie Great Falls and Class A Winston-Salem?

“I’ve taken kids before,’’ Guillen said. “You can come from wherever; you impress me and you will make the team. Just throw strikes and do the job.’’

Guillen said the uncertain status of Dustin Hermanson (sore back) hasn’t really put the White Sox’ bullpen in a critical situation.

“We basically played the second half of last season without him, so you can’t make any excuses,’’ Guillen said. “The guys that are here, they have to take advantage of the opportunity.’’

After Thursday’s off-day, Guillen said it’s going to be time for the Sox to start playing like the team that barreled its way to the World Series championship last year.

If the seven bullpen candidates don’t start picking it up, look for the White Sox to bring in some outside help.

“Not right now,’’ Guillen said when asked if a trade is inevitable. “We still have (17 exhibition games) to go. With (Cliff) Politte, (Neal) Cotts, (Brandon) McCarthy and (Bobby) Jenks, and the starting rotation we have, we don’t have to panic.’’

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 12:40 AM)
Great post.  Osuna still looks like the best option to me.  He is probably the best reliever out of that list and he would likely only cost a minor league deal, definately under a million dollars.  The Sox are supposed to have scouts watching the talent in the WBC so maybe they are checking out some relievers as we speak.  It looks like Ozuna only pitched one inning for Mexico with 2 strikeouts.

http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/s...t=t_ibp&cid=867

Even if you could bring him in on a minor league deal and have him start the season in Charlotte, it's definitely worth doing (even though I think he would make the bullpen if he was signed).

But I think the way the Sox are going to have to go about trading for an arm, is to go for a guy like Jermaine Van Buren who's not yet established at the major league level, but has done very well in AAA and is caught in a numbers game. Boston is already worried about J.T Snow a little (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5412672), and maybe if you offered Ross Gload even though they already have Kevin Youklis, something could happen there.

It's going to be hard to trade for someone who's done well at the major league level because other teams are looking for that, and there'll be a high price to pay. If you trade for a younger reliever who hasn't yet proved himself, of course there's a risk involved, but it could easily pay - off.

Even if you could bring him in on a minor league deal and have him start the season in Charlotte, it's definitely worth doing (even though I think he would make the bullpen if he was signed).

But I think the way the Sox are going to have to go about trading for an arm, is to go for a guy like Jermaine Van Buren who's not yet established at the major league level, but has done very well in AAA and is caught in a numbers game. Boston is already worried about J.T Snow a little (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5412672), and maybe if you offered Ross Gload even though they already have Kevin Youklis, something could happen there.

It's going to be hard to trade for someone who's done well at the major league level because other teams are looking for that, and there'll be a high price to pay. If you trade for a younger reliever who hasn't yet proved himself, of course there's a risk involved, but it could easily pay - off.

I think that if KW was going to go that route and trust an unestablished guy with good minor league numbers he would have just kept Bajenaru. I think that if KW makes an acquisition, it will be for a more proven reliever with MLB experience. Besides, Boston already optioned Jermaine Van Buren to AAA Pawtucket a couple days ago so there is no numbers game for them to worry about. I think that Boston will probably want to keep Van Buren down at AAA to serve as insurance in case they have an injury to their bullpen or if one of their relievers tanks. Afterall, remember how putrid their bullpen was last season? It's a pretty good idea though. Van Buren has put up some sick numbers the past few years in the minors. The Cubs should have just kept him.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 15, 2006 -> 11:17 PM)
I think that if KW was going to go that route and trust an unestablished guy with good minor league numbers he would have just kept Bajenaru.  I think that if KW makes an acquisition, it will be for a more proven reliever with MLB experience.  Besides, Boston already optioned Jermaine Van Buren to AAA Pawtucket a couple days ago so there is no numbers game for them to worry about.  I think that Boston will probably want to keep Van Buren down at AAA to serve as insurance in case they have an injury to their bullpen or if one of their relievers tanks.  Afterall, remember how putrid their bullpen was last season?  It's a pretty good idea though.  Van Buren has put up some sick numbers the past few years in the minors.  The Cubs should have just kept him.

Boston's also got Craig Hansen and Manny Delcarmen in the minors as well, and they're probably ahead of him at this stage in case there's an injury in the Boston pen.

Baj is a fairly good comparison, except that even though he dominated in AAA he never really grabbed his oppurtunity with the Sox when he was up with the big lub. Trading for a guy like Van Buren who hasn't done that yet, makes sense. But you're probably right on Boston wanting to hang onto him, but it's definitely worth enquiring about.

So all in all, get Osuna in on a MLC, hope that Urbina gets out of jail so that we can sign him to a 1 year deal with a team option for a 2nd, and for KW to keep working th phones to try and get another reliever. That's the best we can hope for at this stage.

Another decent option would be Juan Cruz. He's probably not going to make the A's bullpen and KW and Beane have dealt quite a bit with each other.

Latest News  Mar. 16, 2006 - 7:46 pm et

Juan Cruz pitched a pair of scoreless innings of relief versus the Brewers on Thursday.

Cruz has yielded just an unearned run and has struck out seven in six innings this spring. He's not going to make the A's, but another team may want to take a chance on his upside.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 08:13 PM)
Another decent option would be Juan Cruz.  He's probably not going to make the A's bullpen and KW and Beane have dealt quite a bit with each other.

I wouldn't mind Juan Cruz. He's a hardthrowing righthander who can't possibly post numbers worst than a Backless Hermanson. I still recall his first game in the major leagues--I believe it was Dave Otto whom used the term "Little Pedro" to describe his explosiveness.

It all depends on what Beane is willing to accept for Cruz. Cruz has talent and has atleast proven in Atlanta the ability to be a reliable setup man. What would he want for someone like that?

Guest V for Venereal

Hermanson has basically been Billy Koch since the ASB of '05. Couldn't wait to see his 3.5 Mill gone this off-season while he had some semblance of value.

Which is ok since I am now a Jenks believer. Ditto for Cotts and MaCarthy especially.

The one who will make or break this pen is the Fireman: Politte. If his heater is 93-96 again, and the slider is biting like it was last 1st half (when he was, pound for pound, Top 5 most "valuable" relievers in the game IMO), Sox pen is in bidness. But if he's 89-91, with hanging sliders and sweaty palms - most of 2nd half - then Kenny absolutely must make a move for a Ray King type or sumthing

Edited by V for Venereal

Guest V for Venereal
We were never going to be able to trade a reliever with a bad back.

Oh believe me, Hermie had some value coming off the season that he/White Sox had in '05. Plus a guy who could also spot-start, historically. Back problems aren't autamatic career-enders, either. A sucker (team) could had been had a few months back; I blame Kenny for resting on his laurels just a little to look at the pen through more sobering prism.

Go Politte, is all.

QUOTE(V for Venereal @ Mar 16, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
Oh believe me, Hermie had some value coming off the season that he/White Sox had in '05.  Plus a guy who could also spot-start, historically.    Back problems aren't autamatic career-enders, either.      A sucker (team) could had been had a few months back;  I blame Kenny for resting on his laurels just a little to look at the pen through more sobering prism. 

Go Politte, is all.

:headshake

Guest V for Venereal
:headshake

I didn't phrase it rightly. I am aware of the ThomeKongMakowiak-cakes. I just thought he did seem a bit smug/complacent when discussing the pen... could see Hermanson (and later, Crede) being a big issue a mile away, personally.

Oh believe me, Hermie had some value coming off the season that he/White Sox had in '05.   Plus a guy who could also spot-start, historically.    Back problems aren't autamatic career-enders, either.      A sucker (team) could had been had a few months back;  I blame Kenny for resting on his laurels just a little to look at the pen through more sobering prism.  

Go Politte, is all.

No, no he didn't. No team wants to trade for a reliever WITH A KNOWN BUM BACK. Does Kerry Wood have a lot of trade value too?

Edited by SSH2005