What is the word on Boone Logan?

BFirebird

Boone has impressed me more than anyone else in the race for the last lefty. He has good stuff and that arm angle is deceptive, at least for now. Sometimes all it takes is a subtle change like the arm angle. It made a huge difference for Contreras last year, and it took Kelly Wunsch from being a career journeyman minor leaguer, to the majors in about a year.

Yesterday was my first chance to see Boone pitch. Three things I noticed while watching him. First, we works quickly. He just gets the ball and throws it. Next, His delivery and arm angle appear to make the ball very difficult to pick up coming out of his hand. Finally, he throws strikes. All in all, I was impressed with what I saw.

Ozzie likes him...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Guillen also continues to endorse 21-year-old left-hander Boone Logan, who pitched a perfect seventh.

"That's going to be the talk of [sunday's] meetings," Guillen said.

"Right now it's too early to say this kid is out, but I like what I see."

Logan hasn't allowed a run in 5 2/3 innings.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
Yesterday was my first chance to see Boone pitch.  Three things I noticed while watching him. First, we works quickly.  He just gets the ball and throws it.  Next, His delivery and arm angle appear to make the ball very difficult to pick up coming out of his hand.  Finally, he throws strikes. All in all, I was impressed with what I saw.

My sentiments exactly. Hitters react in a similar fashion to Cotts. If he is used in a true loogy fashion and is thereby protected by just facing a lefthander here and there, big leads not-withstanding, he could go a long way to being a true contributer this year. I saw him hit 91 mph on one fastball. Hitters react like he is throwing 95.

Edited by ottawa_sox

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Logan confident he can deliver results

Change in arm angle propelled lefty up the ranks

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- If the phrase "Boone Logan, White Sox reliever" still causes looks of shock and surprise from even the most ardent and upbeat supporters of the South Siders, here's a little piece of comforting news delivered by the left-hander himself.

The 21-year-old Logan has no doubt he will be able to succeed at the Major League level. Make that, Logan has absolutely no doubts. Even when he was toiling for Great Falls in the Advanced Rookie Pioneer League over the past three years, his confidence never wavered.

"I never quit, and to be honest, that's something I never do," said Logan after a workout at Kino Sports Complex on Sunday morning. "I just kept going out and doing what I was doing.

"My confidence level is way up right now," Logan added.

Logan was a 20th-round, draft-and-follow selection from the 2002 First-Year Player Draft. But the White Sox didn't have to follow him very far once he joined the organization, as Logan pitched in 55 games for Great Falls from 2003-05. The results weren't exactly eye-popping, especially in the first two years, when his ERA was close to 6.00 and he walked 62 opposing hitters and allowed 150 hits over 131 1/3 innings.

Those numbers were primarily as a starter, but in 2005, Logan was moved exclusively to the bullpen. That change was far from his most significant.

Kirk Champion, the White Sox Minor League pitching coordinator, and Curt Hasler, the pitching coach for Great Falls, made a now very famous adjustment to Logan's delivery. Instead of throwing over the top, they had Logan throwing from a three-quarter angle.

The positive results were immediate at Great Falls, with Logan dropping his walk total to four in 35 1/3 innings. His success has carried over to Spring Training, where Logan's one inning of hitless relief against the Cubs on Saturday left him unscored upon in four games.

Originally, Logan's promotion from the Minor League camp seemed to be used as a wakeup call for the plethora of veteran relievers who weren't getting the job done to manager Ozzie Guillen's satisfaction in the battle for the last bullpen slot. Now, Logan is the favorite to make the White Sox with two weeks still remaining in Arizona, barring a trade.

It's a change from Great Falls to Chicago that Logan is eager to make. It's a big step up from extended Spring Training last April, mainly because of a new arm angle and the old confidence level.

"I try to ask that question of myself and I can't find an answer for it. It's kind of crazy," said Logan, who can reach 93 mph on the speed gun, as to how he remains so calm and cool in the face of this challenge. "It's so weird, but after I dropped down, it all seemed so natural.

"I've never thrown from that angle in my life. But it's so natural and so smooth. I'm so relaxed. Thankfully, they came around and helped me out for my arm slot. I give them a lot of credit.

"If I didn't do something pretty quickly, I knew what was going to happen," Logan added. "I just wasn't getting the job done, and I was frustrated. They decided to do something about it, and that's what they did."

On the move: Just as Guillen is not afraid to take an untested left-handed reliever in Logan, whose highest level of competition was four games for Class A Winston-Salem in 2005, he has no problem adding Ryan Sweeney to the roster as the 25th man. Of course, general manager Ken Williams also would be involved somewhat in that decision, with the player development angle coming into play, and Sweeney could return to Triple-A Charlotte and be better served getting consistent, daily at-bats, at this point.

But Sweeney knows that he will get his work in through some other means if Guillen ultimately calls his name

"I would still work every day with [hitting coach Greg Walker]," Sweeney said. "I don't think it would be that big of a deal. My big thing is working on facing the pitchers and getting my timing down because my timing feels decent right now."

Sweeney entered Sunday with a .391 average, trailing only Josh Fields and A.J. Pierzynski in that particular Cactus League category among the White Sox. He is tied for the team lead with three home runs.

Fleet-footed outfielder Jerry Owens will not be making the trip to Chicago, as the future leadoff hitter was sent down to Charlotte this week. Owens hit only .167 in 24 at-bats. Left-handed reliever Paulino Reynoso also was reassigned to Charlotte, although Guillen believes he's close to being ready as a Major League reliever.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 08:57 PM)
This kid is borderline arrogant.  If he can get guys out,  so be it.

Ya, I wasn't kiddin around when it said he has a cocky attitude. Alittle bit of a meathead, but if he does his job consistantly, I think he'll be tolerable in the clubhouse.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Third to first: Hideo Nomo will pitch for the White Sox in Surprise on Monday. Nomo remains a long shot to make the Major League roster. Pitching coach Don Cooper was leaning toward keeping back relievers Neal Cotts, Bobby Jenks, Cliff Politte, Boone Logan and Brandon McCarthy to throw in Tucson.

Seeing Logan's name lumped in with the rest of our bullpen guys makes me think they are serious about him making the roster.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
This kid is borderline arrogant.  If he can get guys out,  so be it.

Like jphatt said, I don't really think he's being arrogant. He's confident that he'll be able to get the job done, which is a good thing. I don't get the feeling from those quotes that he's arrogant.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
Like jphatt said, I don't really think he's being arrogant.  He's confident that he'll be able to get the job done, which is a good thing.  I don't get the feeling from those quotes that he's arrogant.

I don't care either way. If he can get the job done, I'm happy.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
My sentiments exactly.  Hitters react in a similar fashion to Cotts.  If he is used in a true loogy fashion and is thereby protected by just facing a lefthander here and there, big leads not-withstanding, he could go a long way to being a true contributer this year.  I saw him hit 91 mph on one fastball.  Hitters react like he is throwing 95.

Excellent observation. Readers need to remember just what role is being auditioned for here.

Its so funny how some people on here are skeptical when it comes to Logan because he has so little experience, hes so young, unproven etc etc. When 99 percent of you were calling for Jerry Owens to make the major league roster! Logan has been to AAA, he has a couple of years of experience, he is outproducing major league bullpen guys. Obviously he is the real deal. If Ozzie likes him this much, you have to come to terms with the fact that he is as good as advertised. I saw him pitch, I think he has better stuff than the junk we brought in to camp, and its worth giving him a try. If he is in a true Loogy role, he will be protected, and pitch only in situations. This move is worth the risk, and if Ozzie likes it, I like it.

Its so funny how some people on here are skeptical when it comes to Logan because he has so little experience, hes so young, unproven etc etc.  When 99 percent of you were calling for Jerry Owens to make the major league roster!  Logan has been to AAA, he has a couple of years of experience, he is outproducing major league bullpen guys.  Obviously he is the real deal.  If Ozzie likes him this much, you have to come to terms with the fact that he is as good as advertised.  I saw him pitch, I think he has better stuff than the junk we brought in to camp, and its worth giving him a try.  If he is in a true Loogy role, he will be protected, and pitch only in situations.  This move is worth the risk, and if Ozzie likes it, I like it.

I never advocated Jerry Owens making the roster but Boone Logan has only pitched 5.1 innings at Winston-Salem (Single A) at his highest level. See for yourself...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/L/boone-logan.shtml

I do think he is the front-runner though.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
I never advocated Jerry Owens making the roster but Boone Logan has only pitched 5.1 innings at Winston-Salem (Single A) at his highest level.  See for yourself...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/L/boone-logan.shtml

I do think he is the front-runner though.

If thats the case then im wrong. But I heard earlier that he had pitched for a AAA team with another club? Either way, the guy has several years experience, has shown he can get hitters out, and has shown that he can pound the strike zone. I like him.

If thats the case then im wrong.  But I heard earlier that he had pitched for a AAA team with another club?  Either way, the guy has several years experience, has shown he can get hitters out, and has shown that he can pound the strike zone.  I like him.

I didn't believe the hype but I just watched him pitch against the Cubs on Saturday and he has a funky delivery and good stuff. He supposedly can hit 93 with his fastball. He also sounds like he has balls from his quotes, unlike our second lefty from last season. He damn sure looks better than the other scrubs so far.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
If thats the case then im wrong.  But I heard earlier that he had pitched for a AAA team with another club?  Either way, the guy has several years experience, has shown he can get hitters out, and has shown that he can pound the strike zone.  I like him.

Some idiot columnist published that garbage, I forget who... He has never pitched at AAA.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
I didn't believe the hype but I just watched him pitch against the Cubs on Saturday and he has a funky delivery and good stuff.  He supposedly can hit 93 with his fastball.  He also sounds like he has balls from his quotes, unlike our second lefty from last season.  He damn sure looks better than the other scrubs so far.

I like that he has two out pitches for both RH and LH batters. His fastball is sneaky, but he also pops the mitt. I like this kid, he deserves the chance IMO.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 08:24 AM)
I like that he has two out pitches for both RH and LH batters.  His fastball is sneaky, but he also pops the mitt.  I like this kid, he deserves the chance IMO.

If he doesn't walk people, he can have his chance. He starts walking people, and he should lose that spot immediately. He doesn't walk people and guys can hit .320 off of him and I won't mind. He walks people, and I'll mind a ton. As long as he's making people put the ball in play, he'll be damn good.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
If he doesn't walk people, he can have his chance.  He starts walking people, and he should lose that spot immediately.  He doesn't walk people and guys can hit .320 off of him and I won't mind.  He walks people, and I'll mind a ton.  As long as he's making people put the ball in play, he'll be damn good.

thats actually what I like about him. He works fast, pounds the strike zone, gets out of the inning.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
If he is used in a true loogy fashion and is thereby protected by just facing a lefthander here and there, big leads not-withstanding, he could go a long way to being a true contributer this year.  I saw him hit 91 mph on one fastball.  Hitters react like he is throwing 95.

You make the job of a LOOGY sound much easier than it is. If he were used in true LOOGY fashion, then it is Logan's job to come in to get out the toughest of left-handed batters, sometimes two in one appearance. Think Sizemore/Hafner or Giambi/Matsui. He's not just strolling out to face the number eight or nine hitter who happens to be left-handed, because that batter will be pinch-hit for. I think we really have next to nothing in terms of evidence that Logan can fill a true LOOGY role, and common sense tells me that throwing him into this situation for a team like ours is asking too much.

If all you want is someone to eat up an inning now and then against the average left-handed batter, then Logan should be left in the minors to develop while Lopez or some other pitcher from the lefty lottery fills that role.