Eric Gagne

I think the Dodgers may not have known about the specific injury, but they do have big questions as to whether or not Gagne can get back the monster stuff he was throwing a couple years ago. He hasn't been above the low 90's since the end of 04 as far as I can tell.

Baez is probably as good of an insurance policy as you are gonna find. I wonder if they move Seo into the top set-up role or if they use Brazoban there. Perhaps Jonathan Broxton gets the call up. I think the Dodgers pen can weather this ok but now their pen goes from elite to merely above average or average

lol np. I actually got pretty pist at myself aswell.

Its just stupid to draft so many teams, im stuck now looking through all them for hour-2 hours when i get home from skool.

Eventually ill only look at a few, but it just sucks.

Next year Ive learned my lesson, and only will be participating in skool ones :) and soxtalk.

What is he having surgery for?  I know he had a pretty bad ear issue (kind of like Garcia had).  Is it arm related or does it have to do with his ear issue?

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/m...xt=.jsp&c_id=la

Gagne to have second elbow surgery

By John Schlegel / MLB.com

Dodgers closer Eric Gagne will undergo another operation on his right elbow, this one to remove the nerve that was repositioned in his 2005 surgery, the Dodgers announced Thursday.

Gagne, who pitched in just 14 games last season, will have the operation performed Friday morning at the Kerwin-Jobe Clinic in Los Angeles. Dr. Ralph Gambarella and Dr. Frank Jobe will perform the surgery.

There is no timetable for Gagne's return, a club spokesman said. The Dodgers begin a three-game series at Philadelphia on Friday.

The Dodgers will purchase contract of right-hander Takashi Saito on Friday to take Gagne's place on the roster.

I've heard this can be really serious, potentally career-ending if they can't get the surgery right this time. Two surgeries can do alot of damage to tissues in your elbow. Not saying I'm right about it cause I never was a pitcher so I would have to ask some guys who have had more than one surgery. I pray he can come back and dominate like he once did.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)
I've heard this can be really serious, potentally career-ending if they can't get the surgery right this time. Two surgeries can do alot of damage to tissues in your elbow. Not saying I'm right about it cause I never was a pitcher so I would have to ask some guys who have had more than one surgery. I pray he can come back and dominate like he once did.

I think he's done to be honest. I hope I'm wrong as the guy really is a ton of fun to watch pitch but his arm is a mess right now.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)
Well his career may be over, and his body might be falling apart because of them, but the roids made this man A LOT of money.  Another sad ending to a roid story though.

Is there any evidence that Gagne was on steroids, or is this just speculation on your part?

From what I've heard, it sounds like he's done. Hopefully that's not the case.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
Is there any evidence that Gagne was on steroids, or is this just speculation on your part?

From what I've heard, it sounds like he's done.  Hopefully that's not the case.

I've heard people speculate on Gagne's alleged steroid use before. Although at this juncture it's just that--speculation . It should be expected that any pitcher with a noticeable drop in velocity, or hitters either exceeding or producing below career trends will be suspect to allegations. Hell, last week listening to the Score following Game 2 a caller said Garcia may have roided. I've heard members on this site question Aaron Rowand. Bruce Levine last season basically implicated Loaiza as a steroid user. You have to expect it.

With Gagne, it's more mysterious because this a pitcher who never threw about 92 as a starter, receives Tommy John Surgery in 1997, recovers, then returns with 6 mph on his fastball. It possible moving to an exclusive bullpen spot allowed him to go all out for one inning, but it's not entirely improbable (IMO) that following TJ Gagne sought to speed his recovery with anabolic steroids. His recovery did occur around the time Sosa/McGwire had their infamous HR chase. Who knows if this event inspired him to seek drugs.

I'll ultimately give him the benefit of doubt, but you could see where people would wonder about him.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)

From what I've heard, it sounds like he's done.  Hopefully that's not the case.

When a guy is a pretty thin starter who throws 92, has TJ surgery, returns as a giant beast that throws 97 with 3 unhittable pitches, then has his body fall apart after a few years, it's pretty damn suspecious.

As for Rowand and Garcia on steriods...lol. However the idea Loaiza used steroids could definitely have some merit, watched him last night and he looked about 15 pounds lighter and couldn't throw harder than 84.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)
When a guy is a pretty thin starter who throws 92, has TJ surgery, returns as a giant beast that throws 97 with 3 unhittable pitches, then has his body fall apart after a few years, it's pretty damn suspecious.

As for Rowand and Garcia on steriods...lol.  However the idea Loaiza used steroids could definitely have some merit, watched him last night and he looked about 15 pounds lighter and couldn't throw harder than 84.

Gagne has always, always thrown hard. I'm not exactly sure where you got that the only threw 92.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
Gagne has always, always thrown hard.  I'm not exactly sure where you got that the only threw 92.

Pre TJ surgery he had a slighty above average fastball. He came back bigger and with about 5 MPH extra on the old #1. His issue as a starter was control, and he never even had great control in his prime with the Dodgers....but his stuff was so obnoxious that it didn't matter since nobody could be patient and take enough walks.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 09:24 AM)
Gagne has always, always thrown hard.  I'm not exactly sure where you got that the only threw 92.

With the Dodgers Gagne was a 92-95 guy as a starter. When he moved to the pen he went to 95-98. However, that type of increase in velocity isn't unheard of. Lots of starters hold things in reserve since they have to throw 6 or 7 innings and 100 or so pitches.

As a reliever you can go 100% every pitch and because of that converted starters tend to see a jump in velocity. And as far as Gagne being a small guy, he was never small.

I can see the speculation over steroids, but as you say Rowand, it can't possibly be a clear cut case.

I'm not at all convinced he's done. Reportedly the surgery was simple, and Jobe said the only consequence of the surgery would be some numbness on the skin of his elbow -- nothing that should affect his mechanics. It seems reasonable to think the pain it was giving him was the reason he lost velocity, especially when it was getting worse over st. (The nerve was moved in the previous surgery but had moved back to its old location during recovery.) We'll see.