Heave the Hawk Conglomeration Thread

EvilJester99

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 02:33 AM)
. Last year when he pouted through the American League playoffs was just another example of his huge ego.

How did Hawk pout through the playoffs? :huh

He said he didnt want to be involved, probably because he was superstitious. What did he have to be pouting about?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 08:08 AM)
I don't think that DJ is as bad as some of you make him out to be. I actually think that he is a pretty decent announcer.

I noticed this year that DJ didn't seem as bad as he has in the past.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)
I noticed this year that DJ didn't seem as bad as he has in the past.

He and Hawk seem to get along better this year as well. There aren't as many awkward silences, there are silences, but they don't follow tiffs between the Hawk and DJ.

DJ used to do some national stuff for Fox, and I thought he was better when he did that than when he did Sox games. For this I blamed Hawk. But now they seem to have a better relationship in the booth. Maybe it's because Hawk compliments DJ for his playing days every so often.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
Thom Brennaman? He creeps me out because his voice does not match the size of his head.

Yeah, without placing him on TV, hes pretty good behind the mic. Mark Grace is terrible though, but Tom really picks up the slack. I would actually like to have him on the radio with Farmer doing color.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)
How did Hawk pout through the playoffs?  :huh

He said he didnt want to be involved, probably because he was superstitious.  What did he have to be pouting about?

I am not going to go back and look for it but there were several discussions or articles at the time that talked about it. I think he wanted to join Ronney and Farmer in the radio booth and approached Fox about doing s*** for them. He was a mediocre ball player which gives him a certain amount of credibility to be in the booth but he destroyed that when he was GM, IMO. I am not going so far as to say "heave the Hawk". We could end up with worse. But I guess I have a longer memory than others. Typically when someone detroys a team like he did as GM, they don't make him the TV face of the team. They quietly disappear into the baseball dust heap.

Rock is correct however, this really isn't worth talking about. Shiot, we are world champs, don't change any Karma now. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
I am not going to go back and look for it but there were several discussions or articles at the time that talked about it. I think he wanted to join Ronney and Farmer in the radio booth and approached Fox about doing s*** for them. He was a mediocre ball player which gives him a certain amount of credibility to be in the booth but he destroyed that when he was GM, IMO. I am not going so far as to say "heave the Hawk". We could end up with worse. But I guess I have a longer memory than others. Typically when someone detroys a team like he did as GM, they don't make him the TV face of the team. They quietly disappear into the baseball dust heap.

Rock is correct however, this really isn't worth talking about. Shiot, we are world champs, don't change any Karma now.  :gosoxretro:

Hawk was asked a couple times if he wanted to join Rooney and Farmer in the booth and he turned them down, he never b****ed and said that he wanted to be in the booth. He eventually caved in and joined them for a short period of time but I believe it was Farmer who was pushing for Hawk to do some of the radio broadcast not Hawk b****ing about a lack of respect or some s*** like that.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
Didn't he do the AL Division series?

He might have, I watched the D-backs colorado game two nights ago, and he does a real nice job staying on the action and giving neutral opinions on players of both teams. He really would be great on the radio IMO.

I don't know how anybody who is a white sox fan could not like hawk. He's just like all of us sox fans. I love his hawkisms and say them along with him during the game. He's a homer, but thats what i like about him. He loves this team as much as we do and he shows emotion unlike our radio booth. Thats what made rooney so much fun to listen to also. They show emotion. When the sox are loosing you feel upset and hawk sounds upset. Personally i can't imagine a white sox booth without him.

Also i like Dj too. UH OH!

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
I don't know how anybody who is a white sox fan could not like hawk.  He's just like all of us sox fans.  I love his hawkisms and say them along with him during the game.  He's a homer, but thats what i like about him.  He loves this team as much as we do and he shows emotion unlike our radio booth.  Thats what made rooney so much fun to listen to also.  They show emotion.  When the sox are loosing you feel upset and hawk sounds upset.  Personally i can't imagine a white sox booth without him.

Also i like Dj too.  UH OH!

Hawk grew on me, its like i know what he is going to say before he does. He gone, can of corn, popped him up, cinch em up and honker down.

I actually liked Hawk a whole bunch when I first started watching games(around 1990, when I really became interested in baseball), because I was a sponge for everything baseball and in reality Hawk does tell you many different things about baseball. My problem now is that I already know his schtick, so it just becomes boring to me. I really dont mind him calling a game, and sometimes he gets annoying and full of himself, but he really is a fan of the White Sox. I appreciate that from him, because he really respects the organization(sometimes to the point that we all think he throws too many bouqets, so to speak) and the White Sox need a blowhard like him to defend them at every concievable angle. Every team has an outspoken apologist, and most of the time its an announcer. The Cubs have Santo, the Angels have Hudler, the Yankees and Red Sox have ESPN, the White Sox have Hawk. I dont really mind it. Its funny to me that the guy from Wheaton would expend SO much energy for such a lame concept and idea. And Website.