Anderson's strikeout totals are alarming

aboz56

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
Well... yes. Catch 22 though. Like others have said, he could break out of this and hit the s*** out of the ball. I don't think playing with AAA pitching is going to bring that to the surface. All I do know is I'm glad this is the main concern right now.

Of course, this whole discussion will be void if he starts producing at the plate. My biggest concern right now is that I don't see how he can ever start getting hits. His swing is awful....and sadly reminds me of an NL pitcher trying to hit. The main reason that a stint in the minors might do him well would be to get his confidence up again. There's a lot of ABs to go before that becomes a realistic option though.

And for anyone saying that going to the minors can't help someone....I'd like to use McCarthy from last season as a great example of finding your confidence and form in the minors.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
Like I said in the other BA thread, I see a hitch in his hitting approach.  He strides, plants the front foot, then hesitates there for just a fraction of a second.  Then, he starts moving again into his swing.  This puts him behind the pitches, and diminishes his power.

Anyone else noticed that hesitation?  Its like he is trying to get a better read on the pitch or something.

I have the games tivo'd but haven't watched them close enough to see this. I'll look for it now, but if that's what he's doing then you are right and it absolutely has something to do with his issues.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
Of course, this whole discussion will be void if he starts producing at the plate.  My biggest concern right now is that I don't see how he can ever start getting hits.  His swing is awful....and sadly reminds me of an NL pitcher trying to hit.  The main reason that a stint in the minors might do him well would be to get his confidence up again.  There's a lot of ABs to go before that becomes a realistic option though. 

And for anyone saying that going to the minors can't help someone....I'd like to use McCarthy from last season as a great example of finding your confidence and form in the minors.

I think going down to get work on pitching is much different than going down for hitting work. JMO though.

I definitely see where you are coming from though.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
Steff....wouldn't you say that we have more of a sense of urgency now compared to back then?  Also, it's easier to find a serviceable center fielder for a few months than it is a starting third baseman.

Really, fathom? Find me a centerfielder who can play as good of defense as BA can who's "available" for a reasonable price. I'd doubt that there are many.

The thing is, you take Anderson away defensively, you're also hurt all of the pitchers, specifically flyball pitchers like Garcia and Vazquez who need a good outfield behind them.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
Like I said in the other BA thread, I see a hitch in his hitting approach.  He strides, plants the front foot, then hesitates there for just a fraction of a second.  Then, he starts moving again into his swing.  This puts him behind the pitches, and diminishes his power.

Anyone else noticed that hesitation?  Its like he is trying to get a better read on the pitch or something.

Yep, it's quite ugly. He can't pull the ball without rolling over, and he's not getting his arms extended on his swing. Instead, he's just punching at the ball, and he's not hitting with any authority. When you couple that with his poor ability to judge what's a strike and what isn't......you get yourself a struggling hitter.

BTW...let it be known that I'm not giving up on Anderson. I think he has the potential to be better than Rowand. It's just discouraging to see someone so clueless at the plate right now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
Yep, it's quite ugly.  He can't pull the ball without rolling over, and he's not getting his arms extended on his swing.  Instead, he's just punching at the ball, and he's not hitting with any authority.  When you couple that with his poor ability to judge what's a strike and what isn't......you get yourself a struggling hitter.

BTW...let it be known that I'm not giving up on Anderson.  I think he has the potential to be better than Rowand.  It's just discouraging to see someone so clueless at the plate right now.

Exactly..he looked much more aggressive at the plate last season in the few AB's he had. Thats why I am attributing much of his struggles to nerves and the pressure of trying to replace Rowand. It looks like he is thinking too much at the plate.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
Exactly..he looked much more aggressive at the plate last season in the few AB's he had. Thats why I am attributing much of his struggles to nerves and the pressure of trying to replace Rowand. It looks like he is thinking too much at the plate.

DING!

The White Sox can afford one automatic out or one guy that needs to get on track in the lineup, but, can't really afford more than that. That's why this situation was so dire when Podsednik couldn't hit a four-seamer with a banjo. Now with Podsednik coming around--slowly but surely--and Uribe heating up, Anderson is the only problem and he is in the nine slot--the fewest AB's available.

I agree it's not a good thing to have to wait around for a rookie to get his s*** together in a year where we're built to defend the title, but, I have no problem breaking one rookie in and I think this offense--when clicking--can support a lack of production at one position.

Edited by AddisonStSox

I have no problem being patient with a rookie for the first half of the season. But come All-Star time, if he is still struggling and the White Sox are contending, they may need to seek a stop-gap solution.

Anderson wont make or break the team, but if hes not pulling his weight on offense it will make the margin of error much smaller for the Sox to keep on winning.

Everyone has slumped for a month, etc, just have to keep it in perspective.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
Any chance TB would trade Joey Gathwright for cheap?

They'd trade him, but I don't know if it would be for "cheap". It's a nice idea though, although it would basically mean 2/3rd of our OF would have NO power, and he's not nearly the defender that Rowand or Anderson is.

If we didn't have our hopes set on repeating, then I'd say they'd be nuts to not let Anderson develop in the majors.

To bad we couldn't loan Brian to KC for a couple of months :P He needs the major league At-bats and I'm not ready to give up on him yet. Like Addisonstsox said, I too think we can afford an automatic out for the defense he brings. Does anybody remember Ron Karkovice? He was pretty much an automatic out, but he was really steady defensively.

I think the thing is that last year, we couldn't afford to have somebody hitting as poorly as Brian did in the lineup, but considering how much better this lineup is than last years and how good a defender Anderson is (even the die hard Rowand homers would admit Anderson plays comparable defense), we can afford to hit Anderson 9th and let him get his AB's as long as everybody else keeps doing their job, and in the case of Uribe and Pods, they keep warming up.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
Gathright might be the most overrated "prospect" in baseball.

^^^

I think people are catching on to him though. The hype surrounding Gathright has diminished greatly. I think people have learned that he's a track star playing baseball.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 12:02 PM)
BTW...let it be known that I'm not giving up on Anderson.  I think he has the potential to be better than Rowand.  It's just discouraging to see someone so clueless at the plate right now.

What are you talking about? How are you not giving up on Anderson when you've given up on the whole Sox team? Imeanitssoobviousjustlookatwhatyousaidlastyear.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
The White Sox can afford one automatic out or one guy that needs to get on track in the lineup, but, can't really afford more than that.  That's why this situation was so dire when Podsednik couldn't hit a four-seamer with a banjo.  Now with Podsednik coming around--slowly but surely--and Uribe heating up, Anderson is the only problem and he is in the nine slot--the fewest AB's available.

I agree it's not a good thing to have to wait around for a rookie to get his s*** together in a year where we're built to defend the title, but, I have no problem breaking one rookie in and I think this offense--when clicking--can support a lack of production at one position.

Completely agree Addy. There was more of a panic when there were two automatic outs in this lineup for a bit instead of one. I have no problem with him tanking at the 9 spot and trying to figure "it" out. But, if he's still struggling this badly at some point in June, and we're not up a solid amount of games in the division, they are going to be looking to replace him, and i think they should.

Of course, all this changes more rapidly if the offense begins to struggle as a whole and/or we find ourselves dropping in the standings.

I'm watching every Anderson at bat to try to see if he's improving at all week to week...that's all we can hope for, just some progress each week.

I believe Anderson is going to get every opportunity to snap out of this funk. The team would look foolish if they gave up on Anderson now -- especially after trading Aaron Rowand. We knew before the season started there would be ups and downs (mostly downs so far). But you've gotta give young players a chance. Not everybody comes out on fire right away. Fortunately, we have a team that doesn't rely on Anderson's bat. Our first 8 are more than good enough to absorb Anderson's struggles. I think we should, atleast for now, be content with Anderson simply playing a solid cf -- which he's been doing of late. His bat will come around.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

As I've mentioned before, Ryan Church would look awfully good in a White Sox uniform. If BA pans out, Church would be the best 4th OFer in baseball. If BA doesn't pan out, Church would be an above-average starting CFer.

Neither Bowden nor Robinson are Church fans, so I can't imagine that it would take anything more than a mid-level prospect to get a deal done.

And, by the way, Gathright is garbage.

QUOTE(ThinWhiteDuque @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 08:08 PM)
As I've mentioned before, Ryan Church would look awfully good in a White Sox uniform. If BA pans out, Church would be the best 4th OFer in baseball. If BA doesn't pan out, Church would be an above-average starting CFer.

Neither Bowden nor Robinson are Church fans, so I can't imagine that it would take anything more than a mid-level prospect to get a deal done.

And, by the way, Gathright is garbage.

The Nats called up Church, and he's done great since the call up. I don't think he's going anywhere.

QUOTE(ThinWhiteDuque @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
They aren't committed to him at all. They don't like him...I almost think it's on a personal level. All he needs is a few bad games, and they'll be looking to move him.

I doubt that, but even if they want to move him, they'll get a better offer than some generic midlevel prospect. Even if they loathe the guy, they're not that stupid.