Anderson's strikeout totals are alarming

aboz56

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
Rowand had a good arm, just no accuracy.

He used to have a very good arm, but by last season, his arm was awful. If you didn't know better, you'd think he thought the goal was to try and hit the back of the pitcher's mound on every throw home. He also had a terribly long release on his throws. Since this is bash Rowand time, I'll repeat this....he'd be the perfect 4th outfielder for a team to have. He would be a great platoon guy vs LHP.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 06:31 AM)
Amen man, I never jumped off.  This kid is a GREAT defender, is hitting #9 for us, and is still very young.  As long as he hits .240, draws a few walks, steals a few bases, hits around 20 homers, and plays that defense he's doing his job.

Nobody is expecting Anderson to hit 20 dingers this year. Hell, Rowand only hit 13 last year.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 09:46 AM)
Nobody is expecting Anderson to hit 20 dingers this year.  Hell, Rowand only hit 13 last year.

B.A. is touted as having more power than Rowand did when he came up, so some of us were hoping B.A. could make a run at 20 HR's this year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 09:47 AM)
B.A. is touted as having more power than Rowand did when he came up, so some of us were hoping B.A. could make a run at 20 HR's this year.

As a rookie who's still hanging around the Mendoza Line? Possible, but doubtful.

I could see 20 HRs a year or two from now, but I think that people's expectations of Anderson this year are way too high.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
As a rookie who's still hanging around the Mendoza Line?  Possible, but doubtful.

I could see 20 HRs a year or two from now, but I think that people's expectations of Anderson this year are way too high.

His avg. might be way low but I dont think 20 HR's is out of the equation to expect from Anderson. Id think he would at least get to the 15 mark.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
Time for a little cross-mulitiplication:

2hr/20 games = 16hr/160 games

SFF

9hr/20 games = 72hr/160 games

Damn, Thome's gonna fall 1 short of Bonds.

12/20 games = 96hr/160 games

Holy s***, 96 HRs for Pujols!!!111 :o

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
His avg. might be way low but I dont think 20 HR's is out of the equation to expect from Anderson.  Id think he would at least get to the 15 mark.

I think it's completely ridiculous to EXPECT 20 HRs from Anderson in his rookie year. It's possible but, as I said, the expectations here regarding him are waaay too high. Give the guy some time to develop. Crede didn't even hit 20 HRs in his first full season. If Anderson hit .250/.320/15 and played solid defense, I'd be happy.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
I think it's completely ridiculous to EXPECT 20 HRs from Anderson in his rookie year.  It's possible but, as I said, the expectations here regarding him are waaay too high.  Give the guy some time to develop.  Crede didn't even hit 20 HRs in his first full season.  If Anderson hit .250/.320/15 and played solid defense, I'd be happy.

Jeff Abbott in his rookie year had 244 ABs, he hit 12 HRs. Hell Craig Monroe in his rookie year hit 23 HRs.

It's not ridiculous to expect similar production from BA.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 10:57 AM)
Jeff Abbott in his rookie year had 244 ABs, he hit 12 HRs. Hell Craig Monroe in his rookie year hit 23 HRs.

It's not ridiculous to expect similar production from BA.

I'm going to laugh at all of the people who get angry when BA only hits 16 HRs this year.

Remember how Crede was supposed to be the next Mike Schmidt? How'd that work out?

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
He used to have a very good arm, but by last season, his arm was awful.  If you didn't know better, you'd think he thought the goal was to try and hit the back of the pitcher's mound on every throw home.  He also had a terribly long release on his throws.  Since this is bash Rowand time, I'll repeat this....he'd be the perfect 4th outfielder for a team to have.  He would be a great platoon guy vs LHP.

I wouldn't even call it bash Rowand time. I think everyone has given the guy his due, we are just comparing the tools of each guy... which is pretty fair giving that one was the CF last year, and one is this year.

Anderson has never shown exceptional power throughout his professional career, and his highest home run total in the minors was 16. I know our park is tiny, but to expect him to hit 20 home runs in his first season with the Sox is ridiculous. Based on his past, you could more likely expect him to his 10-12, with 20 being a great surprise.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)
I'm going to laugh at all of the people who get angry when BA only hits 16 HRs this year.

Remember how Crede was supposed to be the next Mike Schmidt?  How'd that work out?

If BA hit's 16 HRs this year I'll be happy, 4 HRs isn't going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

Joe Crede is only 28 years old and plays some of the best defense that you will ever see at 3B. I don't expect him to hit 548 career HRs like Schmidt but he still has a chance to have a damn good career of his own. Comparing any unproven spect to one of the greatest of all time is foolish in any context. Just wait until Larry Bird, wait I mean Adam Morrison makes it to the NBA, people who expect him to be Larry Bird-esque are going to be in for a rude awakening.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 06:01 PM)

Remember how Crede was supposed to be the next Mike Schmidt?  How'd that work out?

No one is going to be dissapointed with 16 HR's.... but to say that he wont hit 20 isnt neccesarily true. Anderson has the power to hit 20 HR's and like I said I dont expect a high avg. but I can see him getting to the 20 mark. Although 15 is obviously more likely.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
If BA hit's 16 HRs this year I'll be happy, 4 HRs isn't going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

Joe Crede is only 28 years old and plays some of the best defense that you will ever see at 3B. I don't expect him to hit 548 career HRs like Schmidt but he still has a chance to have a damn good career of his own. Comparing any unproven spect to one of the greatest of all time is foolish in any context. Just wait until Larry Bird, wait I mean Adam Morrison makes it to the NBA, people who expect him to be Larry Bird-esque are going to be in for a rude awakening.

That was exactly my point: Expectations of top players in a team's farm system are often over-inflated and ridiculous. Mike Schmidt, I mean Joe Crede, couldn't even break through as an every-day player for the first three years of his career.

This is why I'm so sick of all of these posts about Anderson. STFU and let the kid develop.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
No one is going to be dissapointed with 16 HR's.... but to say that he wont hit 20 isnt neccesarily true.  Anderson has the power to hit 20 HR's and like I said I dont expect a high avg. but I can see him getting to the 20 mark.  Although 15 is obviously more likely.

There's a difference between "expecting" 20 HRs and thinking that 20 HRs is "very possible." I fall into the latter category regarding Anderson.

This is why I'm so sick of all of these posts about Anderson. STFU and let the kid develop.

Uh, I don't think 240/305/420 with 20 HR's is that unreasonable, IF he's an everyday player, making 650+ PA this year. FWIW, PECOTA has him pegged at 18 HR in 469 PA and a 269/329/468 line, which would damn nice to have--and that's just his "average" season according to them.

There's a difference between "expecting" 20 HRs and thinking that 20 HRs is "very possible." I fall into the latter category regarding Anderson.

I'm not sure I get the logic here. According to this, I should not "expect" an event that is "very possible" to occur. If something is "very possible" to occur--is that thus likely to occur? It's semantics I know, but I think the two terms are closer than your statement suggests.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
I'm not sure I get the logic here.  According to this, I should not "expect" an event that is "very possible" to occur.  If something is "very possible" to occur--is that thus likely to occur?  It's semantics I know, but I think the two terms are closer than your statement suggests.

"Expecting" Anderson to hit 20 HRs implies disappointment if he fails to do so. I think it's "very possible" that the Red Sox win the AL East this year, but I don't "expect" it.

Haha awwwwwww...... an Aaron Rowand lovefest ALMOST broke out!! The sooner people realize he's an average player the better. Anderson's ceiling is about 20 stories higher than Rowand's, and I'm willing to deal with watching him be a bit inconsistent in his on the job training at the plate while the rest of our team covers up for him in the lineup and he keeps playing great defense.

But I will say this....people are waking up about Rowand, a good start.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

But I will say this....people are waking up about Rowand, a good start.

What do you mean by "waking up"? Like, you mean they have stopped sniffing his jock?

I read somebody said Arow is a perfect "4th outfielder"--ha, that is selling him short. Rowand, by almost every defensive measure, was the one of the best defensive CF in the majors last year. However, he didn't do much more than be position average at the plate.

Still, that's in the upper half of CF in the league. He's still a very usefull player, but BA was waiting in the wings, and thus he was expendable.