Anderson's strikeout totals are alarming

aboz56

17 K's in 38 at-bats.

This cannot continue.

I'd feel a lot better if he were at least making productive outs.

I know he's always had high strikeout totals, but I am beginning to get concerned about him. Hell, those are Borchard like strikeout totals.

I'd like to see some improvement over the next couple of weeks from BA.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is just an observation - he never gets a count. Ever. He's always down 0-1 then 0-2, and then he gets embarassed either by going after something way out of the zone or what I've seen 85% of the time, staring at a fastball on the inside corner.

DJ tried making the case by saying something along the lines of "all the Sox want from Brian Anderson is solid defense in center and anything they get at the plate is gravy," which to a point is true, but Brian's a much better hitter than this and at some point if he doesnt right the ship we need to give him a chance to get his bat on track in Charlotte.

I still think sometime around mid-May he'll figure things out, and I hope he does because we really don't have any other options outside of a barren trade market.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 07:59 AM)
17 K's in 38 at-bats.

This cannot continue.

I'd feel a lot better if he were at least making productive outs.

I know he's always had high strikeout totals, but I am beginning to get concerned about him.  Hell, those are Borchard like strikeout totals.

I'd like to see some improvement over the next couple of weeks from BA.

I think the best solution is to bring Walt Hrniak in to work with Anderson directly. This is the same approach they took with Uribe last year. Walt can help Brian simplify his swing process and get him a better timing mechanism.

It's all part of the learning curve. There's no doubt he's got to adjust, and I've got no doubt he will. You can't just dump him back to AAA after a bad month like the Twins have done with Jason Bartlett.

At least at the moment it isn't a huge problem while the rest of our offense are generally doing a pretty good job. Plus Anderson's defense has been fairly good so far as well.

Stay persistent with the young players. It'll pay off. :)

Yeah at least his defense has picked up in the last week, finally. If the hitting shows up, then even better. I don't know what to do when a new guy is going through this; it must be a fine balancing act between working him but not breaking his confidence.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 09:25 AM)
I think the best solution is to bring Walt Hrniak in to work with Anderson directly.  This is the same approach they took with Uribe last year.  Walt can help Brian simplify his swing process and get him a better timing mechanism.

That's your solution to everything. <_>

After the great spring he had (I know it was just spring-training) I was hoping it would carry over into the season. There's times were he looks confussed and there are times he looks like he's pressing. I think he'll come around, hopefully soon. I'm just glad that his bat really hasn't been needed so far.

Anderson won't have until the All-Star Break if he keeps struggling. If he's still struggling to make contact and not producing by the end of May, we'll be seeing a new CF with the White Sox. KW and Ozzie aren't going to sit around this season waiting for a rookie to try and "get it".

Anderson indeed looks pretty pitiful right now. He is struggling to even clear his hands when he swings which is causing those weak groundballs and jamshot flies to the right side. The strikeouts are coming because he also has no clue on the MLB strikezone right now. Too many swings at pitches out of the zone and taking pitches that have a lot of the plate. Not sure if its a timing thing with him or if he is just not seeing the ball right now. Hopefully, things will turn around.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 08:29 AM)
Anderson won't have until the All-Star Break if he keeps struggling.  If he's still struggling to make contact and not producing by the end of May, we'll be seeing a new CF with the White Sox.  KW and Ozzie aren't going to sit around this season waiting for a rookie to try and "get it".

If the team is winning and he's playing defense well, I don't see why they wouldn't wait several months, especially if he's working hard and genuinely trying to learn.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
Anderson won't have until the All-Star Break if he keeps struggling.  If he's still struggling to make contact and not producing by the end of May, we'll be seeing a new CF with the White Sox.  KW and Ozzie aren't going to sit around this season waiting for a rookie to try and "get it".

If he's not hurting them and they are still winning I think they will be a lot more tolerable of his time frame to "get it". Several other teams would LOVE to have this problem.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
If the team is winning and he's playing defense well, I don't see why they wouldn't wait several months, especially if he's working hard and genuinely trying to learn.

I just think by reading Ozzie's comments that he doesn't want to have to deal with no production from his CF position for an extended period. I honestly believe that the combo of Anderson and Mack will get another full month to prove they can handle the position.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
If he's not hurting them and they are still winning I think they will be a lot more tolerable of his time frame to "get it". Several other teams would LOVE to have this problem.

Of course.....but we have a GM, Manager, and Owner who have one goal in mind this season. If we didn't have our hopes set on repeating, then I'd say they'd be nuts to not let Anderson develop in the majors.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)
Of course.....but we have a GM, Manager, and Owner who have one goal in mind this season.  If we didn't have our hopes set on repeating, then I'd say they'd be nuts to not let Anderson develop in the majors.

I definitely agree with you. I just think that they will work a bit more with him as long as they are winning.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
The Sox were very tolerant of Crede in his first few years.

Steff....wouldn't you say that we have more of a sense of urgency now compared to back then? Also, it's easier to find a serviceable center fielder for a few months than it is a starting third baseman.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
I definitely agree with you. I just think that they will work a bit more with him as long as they are winning.

If we're 40-20 after 60 games and Anderson is still struggling, then I'm sure we'll stick with him. However, our schedule's going to get a little harder coming up, and playing .667 baseball with absolutely no offensive production by our CF doesn't seem realistic.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
I just think by reading Ozzie's comments that he doesn't want to have to deal with no production from his CF position for an extended period.  I honestly believe that the combo of Anderson and Mack will get another full month to prove they can handle the position.

Well if Ozzie plans on giving Anderson less than 150 at-bats to figure things out at the major league level then he is a moron.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
Steff....wouldn't you say that we have more of a sense of urgency now compared to back then?  Also, it's easier to find a serviceable center fielder for a few months than it is a starting third baseman.

Well... yes. Catch 22 though. Like others have said, he could break out of this and hit the s*** out of the ball. I don't think playing with AAA pitching is going to bring that to the surface. All I do know is I'm glad this is the main concern right now.

Hey.. look at that. My new avatar is working. :cheers

Thanks A..

Like I said in the other BA thread, I see a hitch in his hitting approach. He strides, plants the front foot, then hesitates there for just a fraction of a second. Then, he starts moving again into his swing. This puts him behind the pitches, and diminishes his power.

Anyone else noticed that hesitation? Its like he is trying to get a better read on the pitch or something.

QUOTE(R.J. @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
And this is just an observation - he never gets a count. Ever. He's always down 0-1 then 0-2, and then he gets embarassed either by going after something way out of the zone or what I've seen 85% of the time, staring at a fastball on the inside corner.

DJ tried making the case by saying something along the lines of "all the Sox want from Brian Anderson is solid defense in center and anything they get at the plate is gravy," which to a point is true, but Brian's a much better hitter than this and at some point if he doesnt right the ship we need to give him a chance to get his bat on track in Charlotte.

I still think sometime around mid-May he'll figure things out, and I hope he does because we really don't have any other options outside of a barren trade market.

He's like Juanito, he's never seen a 1st pitch he didn't like.