Anderson's strikeout totals are alarming

aboz56

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
I still remember you stroking out when Kenny traded for Lofton/Everett because another CF couldnt hit for s***. 

Can we give the kid a little time before you bury him.

Uhh I think you have me confused with someone else...

First off I wasn't even on the site when we had Lofton...

2nd I was confused as all hell when he got Everett because it was just as Aaron was heating up... It was a useless trade... I had been a Rowand fan for the past 4 years at least... It's just they gave up on him too quick... But as I said before Rowand ALWAYS had the short compact swing... But the ugly loopy pre 2005 Joe Crede swing Brian Anderson has... It's not even a fair comparison...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 09:24 AM)
Uhh I think you have me confused with someone else...

First off I wasn't even on the site when we had Lofton...

2nd I was confused as all hell when he got Everett because it was just as Aaron was heating up... It was a useless trade... I had been a Rowand fan for the past 4 years at least... It's just they gave up on him too quick... But as I said before Rowand ALWAYS had the short compact swing... But the ugly loopy pre 2005 Joe Crede swing Brian Anderson has... It's not even a fair comparison...

Anyone else see the irony in this statement?

Don't forget now in Rowand's 1st full season at CF in the majors in each month he hit .250/.200/.225/.214/.276/.294. I wonder what would have happened if they gave up on him too quick, which I'm sure they're going to do with Anderson.

Prior to this evening's game, I would have suggested the hitch/hesitation was a late reaction to offspeed pitches. In such instances, I thought Anderson was assuming fastball, and attempting to adjust to anything else. It always gave me the impression he was in between every AB. One moment against Brad Radke last season he had a ridiculous emergency swing relating to this concept. It's the first moment I noticed it.

But then tonight, against someone where you'd expect the same hesitation, he didn't show it. Perhaps Walker has put in extra time with Anderson. He should commit himself completely to a swing. Don't adjust midstride, since it's impossible to expect success.

BA will either figure it out or he won't. If he is still struggling at the trade deadline the Sox wil have to figure out if his defense is more valuable to winning another World Series or will a huge hole in the lineup be that much of a detriment to that same goal.

Remember in the Series pitchers bat at the National league parks so that would make 2 gaping holes in the lineup. I seriously doubt the Sox want that.

Right now you can see they like his D or else Mackowiak would be getting more AB's then he is.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
Right now you can see they like his D or else Mackowiak would be getting more AB's then he is.

Mackowiak has a lower average than Anderson to this point.

And he played A LOT early on.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)

So far Mack has been disappointing. We need to keep Anderson out there and get his at-bats. I think he can turn it around.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
I'd like to see some improvement over the next couple of weeks from BA.

BA is starting to look a helluva lot better since I counted him as dead.

He just hit an absolute missile.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)

And is nowhere near the defensive player Anderson is. I'm not too worried about Anderson. He's struggling but we have the ability to let him develop in the 9 hole. He's got a lot of tools, with the only question-mark being if he can figure out to hit (cause if he can, he will be able to hit for power and drive in some runs).

You know what else is alarming? When a guy can hit a fence scrapper over the CF fence that is hit so hard that Torii Hunter doesn't even have time to get to the warning track, let alone try and climb the fence and bring it back. Keep it up BA, slowly improving up there at the dish.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 06:23 PM)
If he can hit like he did today even 2 times a week I will become a huge BA fan... Not only did he not look lost but his swing wasn't half as long...

The wind has changed direction again, I see.

Borchard hit hr's too fellas. 500 FT ones at that.

Anderson had a solid game, but he had 1 hit. You take hte other one any day of the week, but he's not out of his funk.

But like I say we have plenty of time to let him develop. From day 1 I said we wouldn't not make the playoffs because of Anderson. We have this luxury to develop a guy while putting out a world series caliber team and he's going to have most of the season to show us whether he can or can't.

Today's game will go a long way in giving him some confidence because I think he's trying to do too much at the plate right now (he's not getting comfortable and he's trying to protect every part fo the plate and when you do that you'll end up being able to do NOTHING).

We all knew he could hit a bomb like he did today, but we knew the same about Borchard. The key is being able to hit consistently and thats what will seperate Anderson from being a good player to a borderline all star (namely because of the way he plays defense).

I've long said Anderon's upside is Torri Hunter. Similar power, respectable avg (nothing fancy) and fantastic defense.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 08:36 PM)
Jas, he had 2 hits.

I'm not counting his swinging bunt as a hit. I mean its a hit, but its not worth saying oh my god he's out of his slump he had 2 hits. An swinging bunt where you were totally fooled is not deserving as getting out of a slump (however it will help his confidence).

He had 1 real hit and it was a BOMB.

I should have explained that better in my original post ace. But it seems like a lot of people are basing the 2 hits off the box score and assuming he had a HR and a solid single. And I'm not trying to discredit the infield hit (thats still a hit in the scorebook and he hustled it out and it will give him confidence and for every squibber like that you have, you usually have a handful more missiles you hit right at a defender)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
I'm not counting his swinging bunt as a hit.  I mean its a hit

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist. :D But I know in general what you mean, but Dye had alot of infield hits last year when he started off really slow for us and had alot of Dye hating threads. I think he and BA will a hit like that over a solid line drive right at someone anyday of the week to help them. But all in all, I agree with ya.