Hawk & DJ? Feud?

LVSoxFan

My Superfan baseball fanatic co-worker says he's heard rumblings of how Hawk & DJ can't stand each other.

Granted, this isn't the most relevant topic, but hey: no game last night, so I have to entertain myself.

Anyway, I had heard this a while ago, back in the beginning of '05. The other big clue was, if you remember, when there was a Sox home game on FOX national last year and, as it turned out, it was DJ with the FOX guy. I had never heard DJ seem so loose and talk so much--it was that noticeable.

So what's the word, Sox experts? Is there any truth to this?

He was also talking about some ESPN radio clip making the rounds where, apparently, Hawk completely cut off DJ on the air to the point it was embarassing (I have not heard the clip).

Edited by LVSoxFan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When talking about their greatest White Sox moments recently,

DJ--- hitting a homerun on Opening Day 1999, his last Opening Day

Hawk --- winning the World Series

This was an answer to an e-mail question which maybe DJ misunderstood but it also tells of who appreciates the organization more.

In terms of career achievement Hawk being named GM would be greater then the Sox winning the series although he kind of stays away from this subject.

You can tell when they first were put together Hawk really would jump on his ass, then Dj would sorta fight back hence the nickname "Fiesty... I think over the years they have really come together and I really doubt Hawk dislikes DJ and the same around.

As hawk says, " I love when you ...(fill in anything referring to DJ)"

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
So what is the story behind what happened to Wimpy?  I know it's been told, but I need a refresher...

Hawk = Big Ego

Wimpy = Laid back, loose/easy attitude + became more popular and Hawk did not like it

Add in some general tension and poof, Hawk, the bigger star and kiss ass, won and remained in the booth and Wimpy went bye-bye.

Personally, I still like Hawk on the broadcasts, but I loved him and Wimpy together. I feel HAwk and DJ have never developed any good chemistry.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 09:25 AM)
So what is the story behind what happened to Wimpy?  I know it's been told, but I need a refresher...

I only know what I read here, and I think it may have been Steff who posted it (if not, I apologize), but the story went that Hawk made behind the scenes jokes about Paciorek's alleged abuse by a Catholic priest. I guess Tom heard about the jokes, and if so, you could understand it if he took such offense at it, that he could no longer work with Hawk. Again, I don't pretend to have any direct knowledge about this.

I thought their banter was better when I heard them on some WGN games. I remember like 2 years ago when they sounded ready to fight over a shady homerun call.

I don't know if I could listen without DJ in the booth. He's really gotten better.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
You know what I discovered last week?  Tom Paciorek is now the color guy for the Nats TV broadcast.

Yes. And he pretty much does his Wimpy routine still. "Hang wiff em" is still around, etc. Still acts like he is announcing the Sox and people are in on all the inside jokes. He even had to explain one of them on the air to his TV partner.

Kind of weird to have Wimpy doing Wimpy on the Nats broadcasts. It's also weird to hear him be a homer for the Nats - an organization he has no ties to whatsoever.

(By the way, he's about 1 million times better than Ron Darling, the Nats' color guy last year. Darling hardly ever said anything. In the Nats' blogosphere, a typical quote from Darling is ". . . .")

You know who is a great color guy who is a recent ex-player? Al Leiter. When he was in the booth in 2004, I thought he was the best color guy at that time, period.

During the spring training braodcasts, when hawk and dj had a little less pressure, it seemed like they were getting along great, hawk would bring up some of dj's batting statistics against certain pitchers and they'd laugh about it together. I'm pretty sure hawk and dj have a pretty good relationship.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
For some reason, I've always liked DJ.  I'm probably in the minority, though.  Nothing compares to watching the Sox with Hawk and DJ commentating.

Same. I've never had a problem with the guy, but I think I'm at the point now, where I may like DJ more than Hawk. Because you never know what he'll say.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
Same.  I've never had a problem with the guy, but I think I'm at the point now, where I may like DJ more than Hawk.  Because you never know what he'll say.

you should be demoted.....NOW

but honestly, hawk has had a major dropoff the past couple years. His ridiculous homer comments have gotten out of control.

QUOTE(SnB @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
you should be demoted.....NOW

but honestly, hawk has had a major dropoff the past couple years.  His ridiculous homer comments have gotten out of control.

Ozzie could murder a small village of children, and Hawk would still find some way to rationalize it. In all seriousness, the most annoying thing about Hawk now is the "Stretch" call on any fly ball hit over 300 feet.

I remember a road game last year (Toronto, maybe?) where there was lots of dead air (not a lot of action) and DJ started up with some of his priceless non-sequitirs, at one point, quoting the song "Billy, Don't Be a Hero."

LMAO. That was great.

I used to not believe all that stuff about Hawk putting Wimpy out, but as the years stroll by it seems more and more plausible. It's little things, like the other night on the broadcast - early in the game Hawk brings up Don Drysdale in a story and refers to him glowingly as "My former partner Don Drysdale". Then later on, the Aflac trivia question answer happens to be Tom Paciorek. And DJ says, "Tom Paciorek...the Wimpster....good ballplayer." To which Hawk replies with zero emotion, "yes, he was". Then he went right away to solicit more emails.

And as far as Wimpy's work now - yes, he is with the Nats and is partnered with Bob Carpenter. It is an excellent listen if you have MLB Extra Innings, it's worth your time if they've got a good matchup going on.