Charlie Haeger to likely start Wednesday

wcw2323

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 8, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
What are the chances that if Contreras was out for a prolonged period, that McCarthy goes into the rotation and Haeger goes to the bullpen? With his knuckler, he'd be able to go multiple innings, and be able to pitch more often than just about anyone on the staff.

If Contreras was going to be out for more than 2 starts, I think they'd immediately be getting BMac ready to go back into a starting role, simply because he showed he could swing it last year. But since they think it'll be a short stint, they're gonna run with Charlie, so that BMac doesn't throw off his routine. At least, that's the only thing that makes sense to me.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)
If Contreras was going to be out for more than 2 starts, I think they'd immediately be getting BMac ready to go back into a starting role, simply because he showed he could swing it last year.  But since they think it'll be a short stint, they're gonna run with Charlie, so that BMac doesn't throw off his routine. At least, that's the only thing that makes sense to me.

That sounds about right. Let's just pray it's only a couple starts he misses.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ May 8, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
That sounds about right.  Let's just pray it's only a couple starts he misses.

If he had to miss more than a couple, I'm pretty damn happy with Brandon getting to throw a full few games.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 8, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
So what's the scouting report on Haeger?  He throws 90?, 95?, what?

Haeger throws the knuckler (obviously), a mid to upper 80's fastball, and an ocassional slider.

Also, here's an image of him pitching (you can see it on our story at FutureSox, but if this works right, it will also show up in the post).

haeger.gif

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 8, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
Haeger throws the knuckler (obviously), a mid to upper 80's fastball, and an ocassional slider. 

Also, here's an image of him pitching (you can see it on our story at FutureSox, but if this works right, it will also show up in the post).

haeger.gif

Huh. That's pretty hard for a knuckleballer.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 8, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
Huh.  That's pretty hard for a knuckleballer.

Ya, which is why I think many in the org are intrigued with his potential. He wasn't originally a knuckler, than again most pitchers aren't, but Haeger retired from the club and than started working on a knuckler (in fact I think a coach tried to help him with it) and than he came back and boy did he come back.

I believe that is Haegs story at least.

QUOTE(soxhawks @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
honestly I am pretty pumped to see what this guy can do even if it does mean losing a game or two.

:huh:

Ok, I just can't resist...why?

Are we going for moral victories here? Or, maybe where wins and losses don't count like little league?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 8, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)

Are we going for moral victories here?  Or, maybe where wins and losses don't count like little league?

Whose bringing the Capri Suns and Orange wedges?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 8, 2006 -> 06:22 PM)
Ya, which is why I think many in the org are intrigued with his potential.  He wasn't originally a knuckler, than again most pitchers aren't, but Haeger retired from the club and than started working on a knuckler (in fact I think a coach tried to help him with it) and than he came back and boy did he come back.

I believe that is Haegs story at least.

Didn't he get roughed up a bit this spring, and then they had Charlie Hough work with him a bit? He's been as good as you can be at Charlotte, and was pretty good his last spring training outing.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 8, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
Didn't he get roughed up a bit this spring, and then they had Charlie Hough work with him a bit? He's been as good as you can be at Charlotte, and was pretty good his last spring training outing.

I bet Hough could come in and still pitch 5 innings. That guy never threw fast as it was, his age didnt matter

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ May 8, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
Well,  if it makes anybody feel better,  here are the AL offensive rankings for the Angels:

Average=11th

Home Runs=11th

Runs=12th

So atleast Haeger won't be going up against an offensive juggernaut.  Just try not to let that Vlad guy beat you.

And sox-killer Darin Erstad just went on the DL

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)

Charlie also ran into some s*** luck in ST though.

A lot of balls were falling, guys were comitting errors, etc...

Maybe someone can explain better than I.

Even when Widger was in the booth with Hawk, he said, "Charlie is wearing it right now."

So, those numbers may have been a bit misleading...but, I didn't like what I saw from him regardless.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 8, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)

He was hammered in the spring, but finished things off with a really nice outing against the Braves. I think theyd id bring in Hough, but not positive with that.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 8, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)

Are we going for moral victories here?  Or, maybe where wins and losses don't count like little league?

Because he's been shredding teams in the minors this season, and because it'd be damn nice to develop another starting pitcher who makes $400k a year and is with the Sox for a decade. At least that's my thinking.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:25 PM)

Addy, I realize you're upset, but this isn't the kiss of death to our season. Calm down, buddy. :)