Agustin Montero to be Promoted

Kalapse

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RHP - Augustin Montero (spelled his name wrong in the title)

W	L	ERA	G	GS	CG	SHO	SV	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO

1 0 0.73 13 0 0 0 1 24.2 13 3 2 1 6 23

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 11, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
He isnt even on the 40 man as of right now...

Well, we do have like 5 spots open.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 11, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
RHP - Augustin Montero (spelled his name wrong in the title)

W	L	ERA	G	GS	CG	SHO	SV	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO

1 0 0.73 13 0 0 0 1 24.2 13 3 2 1 6 23

Well, we do have like 5 spots open.

Who was he playing for? Charlotte?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 11, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
Isnt top prospect Rich Hill for the cubs about 28?

Rich Hill is 26 and not exactly their top prospect.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 11, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)
Hopefully he keeps the control when he comes to the show. We need guys in the pen who will attack the hitter.

I think this is exactly why they promoted him, he's shown great command of his pitches at Charlotte so they're hoping he can continue this success at the major league level.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 11, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
That is really starting to become the Sox philosophy, and I love it. Obviously they have always wanted guys with good control, but it just seems like they have been really been pushing that recently, and its great to see.

Hopefully Montero can help this club out.

So, we demoted a knuckler with no control, and called up a guy who can throw strikes. Sounds good to me. Anyone have any insight as to what this guy has?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 11, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
So, we demoted a knuckler with no control, and called up a guy who can throw strikes. Sounds good to me. Anyone have any insight as to what this guy has?

Eh, we sent down a 22 yr old kid who was nervous and had too much adrenaline pumping.

Guest JimH

Rock, Guillen knows this guy from before which is why they brought him in on a minor league deal. They like his arm. 2 seamer, slider, rudimentary breaking stuff, although I just saw him on tv this spring. Definitely a live arm though. They were working on his mechanics a bit this spring and it looks like he started repeating and staying consistent.

Command was always this guy's problem, so we'll see how he does.

What I like is, they're taking the best RH guy down there, the guy who has done the best. Perform well, get promoted. Another advantage to having spots available on the 40 man.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 11, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
No offense to this guy because I hope he does well, but I want KW to trade for a proven reliever eventually the more I think about it.

That may not be as easy as people make it seem. What exactly is a "proven reliever" anyway, the few I can think of that are consistantly good would not be offered up at the trade deadline. Middle relievers are the most inconsistant bunch in baseball.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 11, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
That may not be as easy as people make it seem. What exactly is a "proven reliever" anyway, the few I can think of that are consistantly good would not be offered up at the trade deadline. Middle relievers are the most inconsistant bunch in baseball.

Very good point. Billy Koch was a "proven reliever." Keith Foulke was a "proven reliever" when Boston signed him. Latroy Hawkins. Eddie Guardado.

Basically, it's crap shoot. Sticking with a Cliff Politte may be our best bet.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
Rock, Guillen knows this guy from before which is why they brought him in on a minor league deal. They like his arm. 2 seamer, slider, rudimentary breaking stuff, although I just saw him on tv this spring. Definitely a live arm though. They were working on his mechanics a bit this spring and it looks like he started repeating and staying consistent.

Command was always this guy's problem, so we'll see how he does.

What I like is, they're taking the best RH guy down there, the guy who has done the best. Perform well, get promoted. Another advantage to having spots available on the 40 man.

thanks Jim. I thought I remembered him from ST.

I wonder what McCarthy will think of this? It sounded like he wanted to get into the rotation if what's-his-name-from-last-night didn't pan out. Looks like Ozzie REALLY wants Brandon to stay in the long-relief role for now.