White Sox Coach Gets Nothing but Results

rventura23

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 15, 2006 -> 08:12 AM)
Nice that Coop is starting to get some attention. I don't know what his career goals are, but I hope he has the opportunity to pursue them at some point.

I'm guessing:

1. Pitching Coach Chicago White Sox
  2. Fishing
  3. Smoking Cigars

Well the respect he showed and said he had for the organization during the postseason last year was a good way to look at things. I really don't think we'll have problems keeping him here. He's a really good guy and one of the best pitching coaches around. Coops going no where and KW knows he's what's making the moves he makes look good.

Don Cooper :headbang :headbang :headbang :gosox1:

QUOTE(SoxAce @ May 15, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
1. Mazzone

2. Coop

Top two pitching coaches in the AL, possibly MLB.

I might switch the 2. Coop has done more with less than Mazzone, has just as many rings, and hasn't had nearly as much time to bulid up a resume. Plus, check out the numbers in Baltimore right now.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 16, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
I might switch the 2. Coop has done more with less than Mazzone, has just as many rings, and hasn't had nearly as much time to bulid up a resume. Plus, check out the numbers in Baltimore right now.

You can't judge Mazzone on one month of working with a new staff. Cooper didn't exactly fix Contreras right away either, and Bartolo Colon had a disappointing year with the Sox, only to win the Cy Young two years later.

Mazzone might've had Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux and Neagle. He also coaxed outstanding years from Jaret Wright, John Burkett, Damian Moss, resurrected Mike Hampton's, Chris Hammond's and John Thomson's careers, helped keep Russ Ortiz afloat....he's also gone seamlessly from closer to closer when Mark Wohlers contracted Steve Blass Disease.

Coop's not there yet. He could get there if he keeps it up, but you can't dismiss Mazzone's accomplishments that easily.