Thornton: Dedicated to improvement

Controlled Chaos

Thornton: Dedicated to improvement

By Matt Thornton / MLB.com

"He's a very motivating coach," says Matt Thornton of pitching coach Don Cooper. (Getty Images)

print this page

I was a little shocked when the Mariners traded me to the White Sox near the end of Spring Training. I was all set to break camp and go to Seattle, then they called me in from stretching and told me they had made the move.

At first it was kind of bittersweet. I was bummed to leave a team I'd been with for a while and I had a lot of close friends over there. But I was excited for the new start. And I was excited to come to the Midwest, where I have family.

Once the trade was made, I found out the White Sox had been interested in me for a while. When I was in his office, one of manager Ozzie Guillen's first comments to pitching coach Don Cooper was, "There you got him, now leave me alone." Cooper apparently wanted me for a while. He wanted to work with me. He wanted a shot. So, hopefully, things keep going the way they are, and keep improving.

The first time I ever pitched against the White Sox in '04. It was the one start I had in the big leagues, and Cooper saw me. Instead of saying, "Who's this guy?" he had been watching film on me. I was an opposing pitcher he'd probably never see again next year, but he saw something in me.

It's very exciting to work with him. He's a very motivating coach. He wants to push me to be an elite pitcher. He wants to push me to become a known pitcher throughout baseball. He wants people to realize how hard we work together and what our dedication to the game is. I think he's realizing that I'm dedicated to doing what I can to help this team win.

He's worked with me on the mental side of pitching. He challenged me on my mechanics and I got that. I'm throwing strikes and he challenged me again. He told me if I want to be an elite pitcher, you've got to learn how to finish these guys, to bury them. That's something I've challenged myself to do.

Mechanically, he had me make some really simple adjustments, mainly just getting my body out farther. I'm taking my time with my pitching motion and not landing short and trying to get over top of the ball. It's all about riding my drive to the plate out. My right leg is landing about a foot farther than it has in the past and that's allowing my mechanics to fall into place.

I didn't start out the way I wanted to in my first year and 1/2, two years, in the big leagues. Now I'm able to slow things down, I'm able to be calm on the mound. I'm able to focus and lock in on the catcher's glove, a small target, and attack it. I'm not seeing the big picture. I'm not seeing the umpire, catcher and batter all at once. I'm able to focus and go after the hitter. That's the big difference, when you just slow things down like that.

It's been a really neat atmosphere to come into. This team is so equal across the board. Everyone pulls for everyone and everyone pushes for everyone. It's been a great clubhouse to come into and be a part of. These guys are an amazing group of guys and they know how to win. They know how to get it done.

Reliever Matt Thornton, the 22nd overall pick in the 1998 draft, has struck out 15 batters and walked six (three intentional) in 13 1/3 innings for the White Sox this season. Born in Michigan, Thornton went to Grand Valley State before the Mariners drafted him. He pitched in 74 games in two seasons with Seattle and was 1-6 with just one start before getting traded to Chicago.

From the sounds of his column, he's been drinking the Coop-Aid. I love the things he's written, he's put 100% faith into Coop and Coop is doing nothing more than pushing him to be an impact pitcher, not just a middle reliever. After his rough times in SEA, it must just be a huge relief and confidence booster to have a pitching coach, a very highly regarded pitching coach, who was clamoring to get the opportunity to work with you. I think that the Thornton/Borchard deal with rank right up there with KW's best deals.

Awww: http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto-story...z1_spor_04.html

“I don’t know how the story would have gone on in Seattle,’’ he said, “but you have to wonder if the change and the opportunity to pitch in big situations like I have here would have ever been given to me. Is this trade the best thing to happen to me? Absolutely.’’