White Sox @ Blue Jays

Heads22

He is a sinkerball pitcher who has given up a ton of dongs this year.

What happens when the clock strikes June and we have these lovely 90 degree days at the cell. How is this going to work if he is giving up fly balls at a higher rate than ground balls.

:notworthy

Thank you.

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ May 28, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
I disagree. Sinkerballers are supposed to induce groundballs, not deep flyouts.

Are you watching the game? His stuff looked much better, he was jamming the hell out of hitters, pitching inside, he looked very good before that inning. Numbers don't tell the whole story.

Are you watching the game? His stuff looked much better, he was jamming the hell out of hitters, pitching inside, he looked very good before that inning. Numbers don't tell the whole story.

Agreed. Anybody who says this wasn't a strong outing by Garland is an obvious stat-head.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 28, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)

The story I remember pre 2005. Is that Jon would look like a world beater, then the 5th inning would happen and then he would f***ing implode.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 28, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)
f*** those numbers, he was looking fantastic until that inning.

Wasn't the one real bad inning his problem prior to last season? He has talent, and will pitch an occassional gem, and its possible he will have a year like last year again, but more likely he is was he is. A #4 or #5 starter.

now this sounds better than just saying he is a ground ball pitcher. He was successful with what he was doing until the sixth inning.

And of course it caught up to her and she got slapped around in the last inning.

He gave up 6 hits, 2 walks, and 4 earned runs in 6 innings at 97 pitches. His ERA is now 6.11. Doesn't look like a good outing to me, especially since he wasn't getting any groundouts and he's a sinkerballer.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Ndgt10 @ May 28, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
Agreed. Anybody who says this wasn't a strong outing by Garland is an obvious stat-head.

Well I'm not saying it was a strong outing, cause he pulled his one big inning routine but overall he was better today, it's something to build on but still not acceptable.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 28, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
The story I remember pre 2005. Is that Jon would look like a world beater, then the 5th inning would happen and then he would f***ing implode.

In more ways than one he's back to his old Judyish self.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 28, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 28, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
Wasn't the one real bad inning his problem prior to last season? He has talent, and will pitch an occassional gem, and its possible he will have a year like last year again, but more likely he is was he is. A #4 or #5 starter.

Guys, I'm not saying this was a good outing because he did have that one bad inning but he looked real good before that inning, that's all I'm saying. I'm not defending this outing by any means but I was pretty excited watching him through the first 5 and then he imploded.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ May 28, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
He gave up 6 hits, 2 walks, and 4 earned runs in 6 innings at 97 pitches. His ERA is now 6.11. Doesn't look like a good outing to me, especially since he wasn't getting any groundouts and he's a sinkerballer.

You aren't grasping what I'm trying to say at all, so whatever, I'll just stop.