Official Day 1 Draft Thread

WhiteSoxfan1986

MOD EDIT: This is the official draft thread for day one of the MLB Draft. Coverage starts at 12 eastern time, with the 1st pick coming in at 1 eastern time.

Check out mlb.com for live video coverage or audio of the draft.

Looking at who will probably be available tomorrow (of course there are always guys who will fall), who should the Sox take? I am going with Bryan Morris, a pitcher from Motlow St. CC in Tennessee who the D-Rays couldn't sign as a draft and follow. He is BA's #29 prospect.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
I heard a legit rumor that the Sox are interested in taking a North Carolina high school pitcher in the 2nd or 3rd round. His last name is White, and they've offered him a pretty big deal. My source wasn't very impressed with him.

Alex White? That's the only name I found that matched your description. Unfortunately, mlb.com doesn't have any video of him.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 03:19 AM)
Alex White? That's the only name I found that matched your description. Unfortunately, mlb.com doesn't have any video of him.

Not sure. I won't find out anymore until the draft starts, so we'll just have to wait and see.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
I heard a legit rumor that the Sox are interested in taking a North Carolina high school pitcher in the 2nd or 3rd round. His last name is White, and they've offered him a pretty big deal. My source wasn't very impressed with him.

In general, add a round or two to what you've heard.

They're probably high on 15-20 guys who they have slotted as 2nd or 3rd rounders, they'll take the guy they're highest on and hope some of the others slip.

Guest JimH

Jim Callis of BA says the White Sox are looking at Pedro Beato, the RHP the NY Mets failed to sign as a draft and follow.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
Jim Callis of BA says the White Sox are looking at Pedro Beato, the RHP the NY Mets failed to sign as a draft and follow.

He's a 6'5 RHP from Xaverian High School in Queens. Drafted in the 17th round last year.

This was from Ask BA about 2 weeks ago;

I am just curious if you've heard anything on possible movement by the Mets to sign draft-and-follow righthander Pedro Beato of St. Petersburg (Fla.) JC. As New York doesn't have a first-round pick, I would hope they would be willing to pay seven-figure bonus that Beato now figures to garner in light of his tools. Any idea if the Mets will or will not sign this guy?

Daniel Wexler

New York

Are the Mets likely to sign Pedro Beato, or will he end up in the draft again?

Lance A. Willis

Memphis

I talked to someone with another team today who said he had heard that the Mets and Beato were getting closer to a deal. The expectation from other teams is that New York will sign him, especially considering that he's a first-round talent in a year in which it doesn't have a first-round pick. It's not like money is much of an object to the Mets, anyway.

We ranked Beato as the No. 13 prospect on our Top 200 and he'd likely go in the second half of the first round if he re-entered the draft. He had Tommy John surgery during his junior season at Brooklyn's Xavieran High, and the Mets took him in the 17th round last year as a draft-and-follow.

That proved to be an astute decision, as he has shown three plus pitches at times this spring. Beato has a hard sinker that sits around 90 mph and touches 96. He also has a sharp 84-85 mph slider and a promising changeup. He has a strong build at 6-foot-5 and 210 pounds, and his biggest need is to improve his mechanics and, by extension, his command. At age 19, he has plenty of time to figure that out.

Looks like a possible 1st round option for us, if he does indeed fall to us. Nice find Jim.

This is what Jim Callis is thinking we're gonna do anyway;

29. White Sox: Chicago's big league club doesn't have many holes, but the bullpen is one of them. The White Sox could help rectify that with Miami righthander Chris Perez. They’re also looking at Beato and California prep righthander Chris Tillman.

Projected Pick: Chris Perez, rhp, Miami.

Perez has a mid 90's fastball. He went #53 in the minorleagueball mock draft and Sickels thinks he'll move quickly thru the system.

Tillman is 6'7 and 185 pounds. High School Pitcher who projects well.

Right now it doesn't look like Tillman or Beato will fall to us. I'd imagine the Sox might snap either up if they do fall to us.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 07:02 AM)
He's a 6'5 RHP from Xaverian High School in Queens. Drafted in the 17th round last year.

This was from Ask BA about 2 weeks ago;

Looks like a possible 1st round option for us, if he does indeed fall to us. Nice find Jim.

This is what Jim Callis is thinking we're gonna do anyway;

Perez has a mid 90's fastball. He went #53 in the minorleagueball mock draft and Sickels thinks he'll move quickly thru the system.

Tillman is 6'7 and 185 pounds. High School Pitcher who projects well.

Right now it doesn't look like Tillman or Beato will fall to us. I'd imagine the Sox might snap either up if they do fall to us.

Perez looks like a good pitcher, but I'm not sure that the organization really needs a college-trained pitcher who's going to move fast. We have a rotation that's almost completely locked up for the foreseeable future, a 6th starter in McCarthy who is almost certainly going to get his shot if he's not dealt, at least 3 guys at Birmingham who have a very real shot at being solid major league starters, and a scattering of other interesting arms at various levels in the organization. I'd say a college pitcher is about the last thing we need. I do think Beato would be a nice way to split the difference between college polish and prep upside, though.

Number 1 guy should be a pitcher who has great stuff, but needs some time to get all the tools together. We have drafted some more ready pitchers who can quailify from 2 to 5 in the rotation. Its time to see if we can get a horse, someone with dominant stuff that needs some coop time. Maybe someone that will slip due to his control issues. Someone with either a mid 90s fastball and above or a dominant sinker would be perfect. You know what every other team is looking for.

Guest JimH

Given the White Sox' current "window" of being a contender, i.e. the next 3 years, I suspect they'll take a player they feel will contribute during that time frame.

My sense is good stuff college pitching in the first few rounds, and more long term projection picks later on.

In their situation, it makes sense to take guys who have a realistic chance of contributing within 2 years, and it wouldn't surprise me if they take a pitcher and tell us he may move fast as a power reliever.

Also I expect them to look for catching, and speed.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
I'm interested to see if the Sox go the college closer route for a guy that could possibly help them this year.

I was really hoping for that, but it doesn't seem like that type of guy is available early on. You don't have a Huston Street or Chad Cordero out there.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
Its getting closer.

Baseball America said in the blog that it sounds like the Royals will announce Hochevar as the #1 overall....I wonder how far miller falls

JimH, do you really think Beato even makes it to #29? I think BA has ranked him 13th overall or something like that. His stuff sounds electric, and if he does happen to slide all the way down to #29, you have to take him, no question.

BTW -- Cheat talked about this on his blog, but I'm pissed that MLB is now making 'recommendations' as to what kind of money to give to Draft-and-Follows. The D-&-F system sounded like one where, if you played your cards right, you could grab some high-round talent without necessarily having top picks.

Edited by CWSGuy406

BA appears to think the Cards are going to load up on Boras clients (high ceiling guys too) if they get the chance. They now have Shcerzer sliding to them at 30 (past us; this would be the type of guy that if he fell, it would be worth taking a chance on trying to negotiate a 3 million buck contract). They also have Kennedy going to the Cards in the supplemental round.

Kennedy probably hurt his stock as much as any projected top pick as he was a top 10 pick at the start of the year (if not a top 4 or 5 pick) but like Scherzer he struggled with consistency this year and some scouts have doubts about his smaller stature.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:06 AM)
JimH, do you really think Beato even makes it to #29? I think BA has ranked him 13th overall or something like that. His stuff sounds electric, and if he does happen to slide all the way down to #29, you have to take him, no question.

BTW -- Cheat talked about this on his blog, but I'm pissed that MLB is now making 'recommendations' as to what kind of money to give to Draft-and-Follows. The D-&-F system sounded like one where, if you played your cards right, you could grab some high-round talent without necessarily having top picks.

Draft and Follow works good, but you often times have to give up a ton of money. MLB will get mad at you if you do so, but teams do it all the time. MLB just gives a suggestion. Draft and Follows can be good if you take a guy who was high ceiling, got hurt, and will be pitching for a JC the next year or rehabbing. Also for a guy you have an eye on but that hasn't yet taken off (you may be able to wait and see in a sense).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
BA appears to think the Cards are going to load up on Boras clients (high ceiling guys too) if they get the chance. They now have Shcerzer sliding to them at 30 (past us; this would be the type of guy that if he fell, it would be worth taking a chance on trying to negotiate a 3 million buck contract). They also have Kennedy going to the Cards in the supplemental round.

Kennedy probably hurt his stock as much as any projected top pick as he was a top 10 pick at the start of the year (if not a top 4 or 5 pick) but like Scherzer he struggled with consistency this year and some scouts have doubts about his smaller stature.

I was talking to a friend about the same thing last night. If Scherzer falls all the way to the Sox at 29, I think you have to take a chance on him. I doubt the Sox will but I'd really love them to.

Interesting, Reynolds (RHP out of Stanford) is now showing up on a few mocks as a 2nd overall pick to the Rockies. This is a guy that wasn't expected to go where he was, so a team that wasn't expecting Longoria or Miller or Linnecum could get them to fall into there laps.

Guest JimH
JimH, do you really think Beato even makes it to #29? I think BA has ranked him 13th overall or something like that. His stuff sounds electric, and if he does happen to slide all the way down to #29, you <i>have</i> to take him, no question.

Keith, if he gets past the Yankees, yes I see him dropping to 29. If the White Sox don't take him, someone will grab him in the supplemental 1st.

We'll know soon.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:04 AM)
Baseball America said in the blog that it sounds like the Royals will announce Hochevar as the #1 overall....I wonder how far miller falls

The Rockies appear to be close to taking Reynolds at 2, which would be a surprise since for a long time it sounded like they were willing to take Miller (top pitching prospect). or Longoria (top position player in the draft). Hochevar pick is the rare instance where a Boras pick is actually a signability pick :lol: