Hitting Coach

shoota

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
It's not that I refuse to offer suggestions, but that I don't desire to put forth the effort to find a solution.

Well what's the point in complaining, if you're not going to find an alternative that's better, and when people are always going to shoot down your complaints?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 07:00 AM)
We're one of the better hitting teams in the league.

Walker just got a 3 year contract.

Summation: Dumb thread.

Sidebar: IIRC Walt Hriniak lives in Texas, where the Sox are visiting. He gave Uribe a little 'seminar' last season that seemed to help. Perhaps he could spend a couple days with the team during this series. I know Walker is of the Hriniak style but sometimes it's good hear a different voice even if it's telling you the same thing. He and Walk get along very well so it certainly shouldn't hurt anything.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
Sidebar: IIRC Walt Hriniak lives in Texas, where the Sox are visiting. He gave Uribe a little 'seminar' last season that seemed to help. Perhaps he could spend a couple days with the team during this series. I know Walker is of the Hriniak style but sometimes it's good hear a different voice even if it's telling you the same thing. He and Walk get along very well so it certainly shouldn't hurt anything.

Yeah a few people have suggested that for Juan. Maybe it'll happen later on in the season again like last year.

If only Cintron was better defensively though, because he looks like he's back to where he was hitting wise earlier in his major league career.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 07:33 AM)
Yeah a few people have suggested that for Juan. Maybe it'll happen later on in the season again like last year.

If only Cintron was better defensively though, because he looks like he's back to where he was hitting wise earlier in his major league career.

Uribe doesn't need Hriniak, or anyone else. What he needs to do is listen to what he is being told, and try to implement it, instead of doing the same old thing. Its obvious they keep trying to fix Juan, but for whatever reason he doesn't make the adjustments. IIRC, that is the exact reason that Colorado had no problem with dumping him for Aaron Miles.

I think the hitting coach is kind of overated anyways..... especially on a veteran team like ours. I mean every team needs one but I wouldnt credit our hitting coach for the way the team is hitting and I wouldnt discredit the hitting coach if the team wasnt hitting. Personally I believe the pitching coach is much more important.

And you certainly can't blame Walker for BA! I mean, Anderson is pressing so hard he could make diamonds out of coal. Although, I must say, he looked better yesterday. Hopefully, now that Ozzie said he's not going to send him down, maybe he'll relax and just swing free.

I think BA should spend some time with Thome! Talk about a beautiful swing!

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 08:00 AM)
I think the hitting coach is kind of overated anyways..... especially on a veteran team like ours. I mean every team needs one but I wouldnt credit our hitting coach for the way the team is hitting and I wouldnt discredit the hitting coach if the team wasnt hitting. Personally I believe the pitching coach is much more important.

I agree on a veteran team, the hitting coach is sometimes not that important...but it's mostly with the veterans that the hitting coach isn't important.

Most of the veteran guys on our team, the Konerkos, Dyes, Thomes, and so on, have been able to find some swing that is working consistently for them, and have been able to make adjustments otherwise.

The problem though is with the guys who really need someone to teach them how to hit big league pitching. Joe Crede the last couple years, or Uribe, or Anderson, or Rowand, etc. Crede's finally catching on this year, but the other 2 still aren't. With a young guy like that, a hitting coach is actually needed to first help a guy get the kinks out of his swing, but even beyond that, a hitting coach is needed to help a guy come up with a plan for how to go after a pitcher. With the young guys on our team, Walker just hasn't helped at all. It keeps taking guys years to figure things out on their own, when other teams get by doing the same work in months.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)
Hire Boston's hitting coach he has got to be great.........................

Mike Lowell, Kevin Youkilis, Willy Mo Pena...they've managed to take some guys and really get some consistency out of them either right off of struggles or early in their careers.

Well we havent really had any guys that dominated the minors lately come to the bigs. We have had guys that held their own and performed above avg.(Anderson, Rowand) but havent had a guy that just flat out raked. And Crede won MVP or some crap but looking at his stats he wasnt raking in the minors. And Uribe was already in the majors when we had him and Colorado already gave up on him despite all his talent.

With how Josh Fields has hit in AAA if he came to the bigs and pulled a Brian Anderson than maybe id start to get on Walker a little.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:42 AM)
He was a hitting coach and a 1B coach in our organization about 10 years ago.

Papa Jack!

Ron Jackson

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
Didn't the Sox want to trade for his kid????

Michael? He already has his one glove. :P

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 06:31 PM)
I appreciate Greg Walker's history with the Sox organization, but I'm interested in finding a hitting coach better than him. I want a hitting coach as good at his craft as Don Cooper is as pitching coach.

Coop has the ability to find and fix fringe pitchers like Loaiza, Contreras and Thornton, and I'd like a hitting coach who could do the same with hitters.

And like Cooper did for Marte? As far as the Sox hitting, what would you like to see the team as a whole improve upon? Not just one or two players, but the whole team.

QUOTE(zach61 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:19 AM)
And like Cooper did for Marte? As far as the Sox hitting, what would you like to see the team as a whole improve upon? Not just one or two players, but the whole team.

Game planning against specific pitchers. There are a lot of teams that come out against a pitcher, know exactly what that pitcher is going to try to do, and focus the whole game on stopping that. That's how good teams beat good pitchers...if that pitcher makes any mistakes, the hitters are ready for it.

Right now, our team strikes me as a bit of a crapshoot, it doesn't seem like our guys come in with good game plans against a lot of pitchers, which is how you wind up with guys like Westbrook being able to shut us down. A good game plan against him would be to try to foul off some of the inside pitches, and drive his sinking stuff outside the other way over hte infield. Instead, we have this habit of trying to pull the outside stuff when we face sinkerballers, and it usually turns into those ground balls the pitcher wants.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
A good game plan against him would be to try to foul off some of the inside pitches, and drive his sinking stuff outside the other way over hte infield. Instead, we have this habit of trying to pull the outside stuff when we face sinkerballers, and it usually turns into those ground balls the pitcher wants.

Otherwise known as the definition of why sinkers work.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
Game planning against specific pitchers. There are a lot of teams that come out against a pitcher, know exactly what that pitcher is going to try to do, and focus the whole game on stopping that. That's how good teams beat good pitchers...if that pitcher makes any mistakes, the hitters are ready for it.

Right now, our team strikes me as a bit of a crapshoot, it doesn't seem like our guys come in with good game plans against a lot of pitchers, which is how you wind up with guys like Westbrook being able to shut us down. A good game plan against him would be to try to foul off some of the inside pitches, and drive his sinking stuff outside the other way over hte infield. Instead, we have this habit of trying to pull the outside stuff when we face sinkerballers, and it usually turns into those ground balls the pitcher wants.

And I'll ask you then too. What area do you want the Sox hitters to improve at? Is their average too low? Not enough hits? Not enough runs? I noticed that when Westbrook didn't locate his sinker in a good spot, the Sox hit it hard somewhere.

QUOTE(zach61 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
And I'll ask you then too. What area do you want the Sox hitters to improve at? Is their average too low? Not enough hits? Not enough runs? I noticed that when Westbrook didn't locate his sinker in a good spot, the Sox hit it hard somewhere.

Getting hits against good pitching.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)

Isn't that what good pitching is supposed to prevent? No team does that consitently, so you're never going to get what you want and changing hitting coaches means nothing then. If you want to change the hitting coach, what area of the Sox team hitting do you expect the new coach to improve? They have already hit some good pitching, so that was accomplished by Walker already.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)

maybe we don't do that, but our plan against tough lefties that I remember, Zito and Sabbathia, have been pretty good: take lots of pitches to get to the bullpen.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
Uribe doesn't need Hriniak, or anyone else. What he needs to do is listen to what he is being told, and try to implement it, instead of doing the same old thing. Its obvious they keep trying to fix Juan, but for whatever reason he doesn't make the adjustments. IIRC, that is the exact reason that Colorado had no problem with dumping him for Aaron Miles.

Sure listened when he was told to implement a legkick pretty quickly.