Dayn Perry Does it Again

Heads22

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5690022

5. Jose Contreras, SP, White Sox

2006 numbers: 85.0 IP, 2.96 ERA, 60 K, 22 BB

Pre-2006 numbers: 446.0 IP, 4.28 ERA, 376 K, 189 BB

With the low K rate, it will be hard for Contreras to keep up this level of dominance. Moreover, he's trending toward the middle since returning from the DL. Contreras will continue to be a vital and productive member of the White Sox's rotation, but it's not likely he'll end the year with a sub-3.00 ERA.

Yup, nothing lately that shows us he can strike guys out.

Obviously he's wrong about the k-rate, but he's probably right in the fact that Contreras won't finish with an ERA below 3, and he's also right that he's let up a fair amount of runs since coming back from the DL (by my math, he's got a 4.71 ERA since then).

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
Obviously he's wrong about the k-rate, but he's probably right in the fact that Contreras won't finish with an ERA below 3, and he's also right that he's let up a fair amount of runs since coming back from the DL (by my math, he's got a 4.71 ERA since then).

He makes it sound like Contreras will be a failure if he can't keep his era under 3. As if there's some long list of guys in the AL who sport earned run averages below 3.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)
He makes it sound like Contreras will be a failure if he can't keep his era under 3. As if there's some long list of guys in the AL who sport earned run averages below 3.

What quote are you reading? "Contreras will continue to be a vital and productive member of the White Sox's rotation"

I don't really understand what he said wrong. He said that Count would not be as good as he has been, but he would still be "a vital and productive member of the White Sox's rotation". What did he say wrong? (other than the K-rate, which is true if you look only at his yearly stats, rather than his last 2 games)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)

There've been quite a few situations (Cubs game, for one) where Count was charged with Earned Runs that he probably shouldn't have been, for what it's worth.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 08:23 PM)
Contreras has been remarkably consistent since the end of last year.

And this might be true, but considering how he's done throughout his career and since the DL stint (small sample size and all), I don't think saying he'll finish the year with an ERA above 3 is unrealistic, or an insult. Hell, he even says that he will still be productive and a vital part of the Sox rotation, so I don't understand how he's bad mouthing Count at all. He's merely saying that Count isn't going to be below 3.00 the whole year, which is true.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)
That's the best line. Count has a 2.96 ERA right now, but Perry makes it seem like raising an ERA by 0.04 is some sort of catastrophe.

:headshake

I'm pretty sure you are reading into it more than you should be. Perry merely said that Count wouldn't end the year with an ERA below 3, but stated that he would still be a productive part of the rotation.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:35 AM)
I'm pretty sure you are reading into it more than you should be. Perry merely said that Count wouldn't end the year with an ERA below 3, but stated that he would still be a productive part of the rotation.

In such a short blurb, why mention it at all? Raising an ERA by as little as .04 is certainly insignificant, yet Perry decided to point it out anyway, as if he wouldn't be as good as he is now if he did so.