St. Louis Conspiracy Theory...Sox knew what pitches were coming

maggsmaggs

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...D0?OpenDocument

CHICAGO -- If the Cardinals never solved Freddy Garcia in a 1-0 loss Thursday night, they may have settled a conspiracy.

The White Sox were 40-for-88 with 15 extra-base hits and 33 runs the first two games of the series. The outburst not only heightened suspicion that Mark Mulder wasn't sound, but also that the White Sox dugout may have been exercising gamesmanship.

During Wednesday's rout, the Cardinals dugout became convinced a center-field camera at U.S. Cellular Field was tipping pitches to the home team.

Signs were changed after the fifth inning, and the White Sox went four for 36 with one extra-base hit and one run after the switch.

"Let's put it this way," one Cardinals source said Thursday night. "They looked like they knew what was coming the first two nights. They looked like they had no idea tonight.

"You figure it out."

Good pitching, for one night, maybe?. They had one guy throwing 85 MPH and the other was pitching everything middle-in.

Edited by maggsmaggs

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me a break... :headshake

I could have gone out there and knocked Mulder around a little bit and Marquis wasn't much more impressive than he. But of course, they were stealing signs and and if they deny it they were lying and Dave Duncan doesn't like liars....

Much like Duncan's comments, this sounds like whining from a bunch of babies that just got their asses kicked.

This is pathetic.... :rolly

You know, even when Buehrle alledged sign stealing I thought it was pathetic.

Just suppose for a second the CF camera is relaying signs to our players. How are they receiving it? We're talking about several seconds -- at the most -- between a pitch and it's delivery. Wouldn't it be obvious if every hitter is looking off to the side before a pitch, or somehow a light goes on somewhere whenever a curveball is thrown. The way our lineup hit, they have to assume nearly all of our hitters had access to the pitch selection. Would we honestly run the risk of cheating, here?

The first night Mulder was tipping his pitches. His arm angle changed, his windup slowed and his armed slowed on every breaking ball. I could see this from my seats and knew it was a matter of time before he got lit up.

As for Marquis I wasn't there so I really can't say, but the first night the only one at fault was Mulder himself.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 08:24 AM)
Yea, change the signs after you get shelled for 11 in one inning, if you think that. Gees.

Yeah, not the sharpest tools in the shed, those Cards! That actually occurred to me during the 20-run game, that the Sox might have got the signs somehow.

Now, sign-swiping, like beanball, is a part of baseball and has been for what, a hundred years? But if the SOX do it, it's dishonest and cheating. Somehow, you just know, Ozzie and/or AJ will be alleged to have been behind it.

Kapkomet's right-- the cure for sign-stealing is to change your signs. And maybe *before* you get hammered for 20-30 runs?! :crying

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
Didn't the Sox say the very same thing about Texas last year about them using a light in CF to tell the hitters what was coming?? You get rocked you make excuses....

No that never happened, and if it did I know for a fact that three other people didn't already bring it up in this very thread.

Edited by Spiff

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 09:00 AM)
No that never happened, and if it did I know for a fact that three other people didn't already bring it up in this very thread.

Ok thanks for that smart ass.. I suppose I should have taken the time to read each response first but didn't...thanks for effort though pal.

QUOTE(holly wiggins @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 08:29 AM)
Now, sign-swiping, like beanball, is a part of baseball and has been for what, a hundred years? But if the SOX do it, it's dishonest and cheating. Somehow, you just know, Ozzie and/or AJ will be alleged to have been behind it.

Kapkomet's right-- the cure for sign-stealing is to change your signs. And maybe *before* you get hammered for 20-30 runs?! :crying

Stealing signs from a centerfield camera, if we're to believe the Cardinals, is not really something you want to be associatedc with. If we're stealing signs from catchers while on base, however, that's acceptable.

I still would like to know how any of our players could receives a signal in several seconds? There's always video footage available that the Cardinals could go back and check themselves. It shouldn't be that difficult, seeing as Mulder and Marquis were annihilated. You'd think there would be several opportunities to atleast back up their claims.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Around here, the general consensus seemed to have been all through the series that the Cardinals organization is classy, LaRussa respectable, etc. etc. etc.

I've never liked the Cards. or LaRussa, was glad to see them get shelled, and am not surprised to hear this nonsense after what Duncan was saying about Guillen.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 09:00 AM)

:lolhitting

At first, I'm thinking, "What the hell's he talking about and then... :lol: Awesome!!

Wasn't there an incident in Texas?...j/k :P

Actually I remeber an incident in the late 90s in Cleveland when the Sox complained that people were stealing signs next to them in their dugout. (if you recall there is seating next to the dugouts). I remember the Sox taping paper on the glass seperating them during the game.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
Wasn't there an incident in Texas?...j/k :P

Actually I remeber an incident in the late 90s in Cleveland when the Sox complained that people were stealing signs next to them in their dugout. (if you recall there is seating next to the dugouts). I remember the Sox taping paper on the glass seperating them during the game.

Its one thing stealing signs about hit and runs and stealing bases. Stealing the signs with a camera for every pitch, having someone relay that sign to the dugout, then having someone sign the pitch to the batter is almost impossible. Sounds like the cards got a little cubbie in them.

This is stupid. I could have had a hit against those pitches Mulder was throwing Tuesday... and Marquis just left too many out over the plate.

Plus, the Sox NEVER do well against rookies, let alone one of the best prospects in baseball.