hi8is

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(flbob @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
so, what really worries me? defense.

Defense? Defense worries you?

The Tigers have Gold Glove caliber defenders at CF, C and 3B. Guillen despite an error here and there is solid at short. Shelton has been nothing short of impressive thus far at first. Magglio is Magglio...you pretty know what you are and aren't going to get...and Thames, Monroe, Gomez in left are certainly servicable.

Judging from the season to date, team defense is the least of my worries that have been mentioned thus far.

Edited by JackTalkThai

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)

The Tigers have Gold Glove caliber defenders at CF, C and 3B. Guillen despite an error here and there is solid at short. Shelton has been nothing short of impressive thus far at first. Magglio is Magglio...you pretty know what you are and aren't going to get...and Thames, Monroe, Gomez in left are certainly servicable.

Judging from the season to date, team defense is the least of my worries that have been mentioned thus far.

at the risk of offending sox fans on *their* board ... :7)

this is granderson's first year in the majors. so far so good. there remains the risk of a different reality setting in. i don't know his minor league record (nor do i care, as it's a different world in the bigs).

inge stunk up the joint last year at third. his play the past month has been stellar. the risk is that recent performance is anomalous, not past performance.

that shelton has been impressive is a surprise. coming into the season, his glove was a legimate concern.

as i said, they have gone from near worst to near best with minor personnel changes. that gives me pause. if i weren't a detroit fan, i'd say the team has another half season of proving to go before i'd stop thinking of them as booters and stinkups. but since i love detroit, i'll just say that i'm pleased with the turn around and that i hope (and believe) it will continue. however, i think this is the most likely area of a drop off that could cause wins to turn into losses. is it likely? no. possible? yes, based on prior years with similar guys.

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)

Yeah, flbob is the man, but when he said that he's worried about the defense, I was kind of left scratching my head.

The key defensive positions on a baseball field:

1) Pitcher

2) Catcher: Ivan Rodriguez

3) Shortstop: Carlos Guillen

4) Center Field: Curtis Granderson

And to a lesser extent, Third Base.

The Tigers are an awfully strong defensive team, just like the Sox. Defense up the middle is what it's all about. You can get away with having a defensive liability at either of the corner OF spots if you are incredible up the middle.

You guys may look at the stats of Brian Anderson and Juan Uribe and consider these players to be weak links on our squad, but they are elite defensive players at their respective positions.

I don't know if I'm sold on Inge, but like I said, 3B is not as important as the C, SS, and CF slots when evaluating defense. And obviously, pitching represents the vast majority of defense. The ultimate defensive games are:

Perfect Games

No-Hitters

One-Hitters

Two-Hitters

Shut-Outs

And the Tigers lead the league in shutouts, which is a primary indication to me that they have a first tier defense.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
Yeah, flbob is the man, but when he said that he's worried about the defense, I was kind of left scratching my head.

The key defensive positions on a baseball field:

1) Pitcher

2) Catcher: Ivan Rodriguez

3) Shortstop: Carlos Guillen

4) Center Field: Curtis Granderson

And to a lesser extent, Third Base.

The Tigers are an awfully strong defensive team, just like the Sox. Defense up the middle is what it's all about. You can get away with having a defensive liability at either of the corner OF spots if you are incredible up the middle.

You guys may look at the stats of Brian Anderson and Juan Uribe and consider these players to be weak links on our squad, but they are elite defensive players at their respective positions.

I don't know if I'm sold on Inge, but like I said, 3B is not as important as the C, SS, and CF slots when evaluating defense. And obviously, pitching represents the vast majority of defense. The ultimate defensive games are:

Perfect Games

No-Hitters

One-Hitters

Two-Hitters

Shut-Outs

And the Tigers lead the league in shutouts, which is a primary indication to me that they have a first tier defense.

all good points. thank you. i remain optimistic and hopeful.

Inge was good at third base last year, too many errors but I believe he was in the top 5 in mlb in range factor and zone rating among qualified third basemen.

Edit: He's currently first in RF (Crede is 3rd) and 4th in ZR (Lowell is first)

Edited by loltrain

Just our luck. Sanchez goes absolutely crazy against Sox pitching and Tracey benches him for game 1 vs the Tigers. Pirates up 1 early though.

EDIT: Well that didn't last long. 2-1 Tigers after a HR by Thames.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 07:57 PM)
Quick question, where are all the Tiger fans coming from?

I've seen this question asked 3 times now and nobody responds. I would love to find out though.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
I'd guess some come from Mlive, or just from google.

Maybe Kenny Rogers is ready to return to earth for his patented 2nd half swoon.

Wouldn't that be nice. Also, it's nice how Pitt gives Freddy Sanchez a rest when we leave and Detroit comes to town. :angry: