Verducci's All-Star Picks

The Human Borch

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 10:09 AM)
I believe he said he's not going to be in it. And that last line made me laugh.

Ah darn. I know Ozzie was pushing for him not to do it, but I hadn't heard anything from Thome himself.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
Ah darn. I know Ozzie was pushing for him not to do it, but I hadn't heard anything from Thome himself.

After what happened to Abreu last year, and this year, I don't want any White Sox players in the HR Derby. Abreu just wore himself out and it lasted the whole second half...

Defensive metrics, which I don't totally buy into, show Young has been one of the worst SS in the league the last few years. In his defense, he was forced there from second by Soriano so I'm sure he's trying his damndest. He'd be a good choice at short because he's such a fine hitter. I chose Jeter over Tejada for one big reason: Tejada has collapsed the last few weeks. Tejada is one of the game's most exciting players but he went into the toilet(by his standards) after the Palmeiro incident and he has hit below .230 since the Grimsley story came out. I don't believe he did anything wrong(although I don't know) but I think speculation weighs on him too much.

Jeter has fine range actually. But of course when you have great speed, quickness, and a long reach it is hard not to have some range. It is funny that a statistical range deficiency turns into "Jeter can't get to anything" or the thought that unless the ball is hit a step to his right or left he can't get to it.

The reality is Jeter has poor range to his left (ala a certain player in our infield whose defense is revered regardless) but you can be a hell of a defensive player with poor range to your left. And the fact is the last two years Jeter's range factor has been above the league average after years being well below. This year I think it is back below. Did I mention that range factor is a fundamentally flawed statistic that does not actually measure range? Range is basically impossible to measure statistically, RF might be the best thing out there, but that doesnt mean it isnt flawed.

Tejada has never sniffed a gold glove and Jeter is the two-time reigning winner, not that the award is the end all in who can pick it and who cant. but saying Jeter is better than Tejada defensively is not an outlandish statement. Jeter makes big plays and is more reliable than Tejada and Tejada has more range up the middle.

I think that Tejada is better at short than Jeter but Jeter has become a whipping boy of SABR guys (although mainly because he is given lavish praise all the time by other forms of media). Jeter isn't a bad shortstop. He's not a great defensive one either. It's not zero-sum though. THere is nothing wrong with being a solid and reliable shortstop. THe gold-glove is a farce though

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
JC is the most dominant pitcher since the last all star game.

Wins wise, this is true. According to most every other stat though, Santana has been the best pitcher in baseball since mid last season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 12:59 PM)
Wins wise, this is true. According to most every other stat though, Santana has been the best pitcher in baseball since mid last season.

Looking at the stats a little while ago, I thought to myself that I couldn't be angry if Santana starts the ASG. Most of his stats are better, but the one thing is that he has 4 losses.

Here's my 32 man roster. It's tough to get this to work. Assuming current votes stand for starters.

C- Varitek (BOS) Mauer (MIN) Rodriguez (DET)

1B- Ortiz (BOS) Konerko (CHI) Hafner (CLEV) Thome (CHI)

2B- Cano (NYY) Grudzelanek (KC)

SS- Jeter (NYY) Young (TEX) Tejada (BALT)

3B- Rodriguez (NYY) Hillenbrand (TOR)

OF- Suzuki (SEA) Ordonez (DET) Wells (TOR)

OF- Ramirez (BOS) Rios (TOR) Crawford (TB)

OF- Guerrero (LAA) Dye (CHI)

SP- Contreras (CHI) Santana (MIN) Halladay (TOR) Robertson (DET) Kazmir (TB) Buehrle (CHI) Rogers (DET) Zito (OAK)

CP- Jenks (CHI) Papelbon (BOS) Ryan (TOR)

This would give...

Boston- 4

Minnesota- 2

Detroit- 4

Chicago- 6

Cleveland- 1

Kansas City- 1

Texas- 1

Baltimore- 1

Toronto- 5

Seattle- 1

Los Angeles- 1

Tampa Bay- 2

New York- 3

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
I'd probably take ViC Martinez over Pudge but you made a good list. Pudge might be the choice over Martinez warranted or not

Martinez is in quite a slump and isn't 1/10th the defensive catcher Pudge is.

Although even as a Tigers fan I agree Pudge probably doesn't deserve it, he certainly does moreso than Varitek in my opinion, and really their aren't that many strong hitting catchers, so I'm willing to give him a pass due to his defense.

Don't know why everyone's dead set against Giambi. The guy has had one HELL of a 1st half. Hafner's been great, but he's barely played at 1st. I can't really blame someone for picking Giambi (who's played more 1st than dh) over him.

It's Mauer then Ramon Hernandez. Screw Pudge, Martinez, Varitek, and Posada. And Johjima, although I'm impressed. Good year for catchers in the AL.

Vic has a sizeable edge in on base and slugging over Pudge. You are correct about defense but let's not pretend that's a big consideration for the all-star game. Martinez actually isn't in a slump. He had a horrid May but his June has been superb. Great year for catchers though in the AL. Johjima(sp?) has been solid and really good as of late

QUOTE(Walker2Baines @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:19 AM)
Verducci spends a few weeks in spring training with the Blue Jays and then makes the cover of SI with them, so he has to repay them by saying three Blue Jays should be All Stars. Good job Tom.

Or maybe those 3 really truely deserve it. :huh

The only one I really don't agree with is Giambi, the rest are just about perfect.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 12:59 PM)

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is wins. SABRmetrics is great and all, but baseball is more than stats, it's all the intangibles.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It should be:

C: Joe Mauer (MIN)

1B: Travis Hafner (CLE)

2B: Tadahito Iguchi (CHW)

SS: Miguel Tejada (BAL)

3B: Troy Glaus (TOR)

OF: Manny Ramirez (BOS)

OF: Vernon Wells (TOR)

OF: Jermaine Dye (CHW)

Screw that s***:

C: A.J.

1B: Paul Konerko

2B: Tadahito Iguchi (if he doesn't win the vote after the overseas/Japanese vote is tallied)

SS: Miguel Tejada

3B: Joe Crede

OF: Manny Ramirez

OF: Vernon Wells

OF: Jermain Dye

SP: Jose Contreras

SP: Mark Buehrle

SP: Freddy Garcia

RP Bobby Jenks

White Sox should have 9 on the All-Star team, possibly 10 if Jim Thome is picked for the All-Star roster by the fans. And all deserve it.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)
At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is wins. SABRmetrics is great and all, but baseball is more than stats, it's all the intangibles.

I gotta agree, I can't wait to see Freddy Garcia hoist his Cy Young Award for the season. 10-4 AWESOME!

If you want a team full of Jeroime Robertson's that's fine by me but you're not going to win s***.

QUOTE(Walker2Baines @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 01:19 AM)
Verducci spends a few weeks in spring training with the Blue Jays and then makes the cover of SI with them, so he has to repay them by saying three Blue Jays should be All Stars. Good job Tom.

Are you kidding? Wells and Rios as starters? After a terrible start Ichiro is second in the AL in batting and continues to play his great defense. Wells after his great start in April has slipped. I would also start Vlad since he's got nobody to protect him.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)

This is true when talking about teams, not players though. A pitcher can suck, but still win games thanks to a lot of run support. Does that mean he's better than a pitcher who dominates, but loses because he gets no run support? Of course not.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
Screw that s***:

C: A.J.

1B: Paul Konerko

2B: Tadahito Iguchi (if he doesn't win the vote after the overseas/Japanese vote is tallied)

SS: Miguel Tejada

3B: Joe Crede

OF: Manny Ramirez

OF: Vernon Wells

OF: Jermain Dye

SP: Jose Contreras

SP: Mark Buehrle

SP: Freddy Garcia

RP Bobby Jenks

White Sox should have 9 on the All-Star team, possibly 10 if Jim Thome is picked for the All-Star roster by the fans. And all deserve it.

You really think Freddy Garcia deserves to be an All-Star? Get real.