Official "Squared Circle" Thread

Guest $I Need Money$

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:20 PM)
What a bout a DVD with all the War Games matches? Granted, there were only like 8, but you can add Elimination Chamber matches and Hell in a Cell.

There we're a hell of a lot more than that, not all of them we're PPV types though.

The Ladder Match DVD is pretty good, the blurring on the WWF logo is still bad. Grisham hosts the set and he comes off as horrible.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:20 PM)
If the Ladder Match set ever drops in price, not that it is expensive, I would probably get it.

$24 at Best Buy

Npt bad at all for 21 Ladder Matches

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)
The Ladder Match DVD is pretty good, the blurring on the WWF logo is still bad. Grisham hosts the set and he comes off as horrible.

Really, I didnt really seemed to be bothered by the blurring on the Wrestlemania Anthology

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:25 PM)
$24 at Best Buy

Npt bad at all for 21 Ladder Matches

Really, I didnt really seemed to be bothered by the blurring on the Wrestlemania Anthology

Depends on the match, but some are really bad.

Possibly the best news evar

Source: Wrestlezone.com

Source - Wrestling Observer Newsletter

The Triple H vs. Randy Orton match originally planned for SummerSlam is now in jeopardy. According to one backstage source both Triple H and Vince McMahon agree it is not the right thing to do at this time.

Triple H is pushing for Randy Orton to win the WWE Championship from John Cena. Internally the thought is that Cena doesn’t need the belt to get over because he gets resentment boos for being a champion. The feeling is more money will be made in Cena chasing Orton for the title in comparison to where he beats him all the time while he holds the title.

Look for the Triple H vs. Randy Orton match to happen at either Survivor Series or WrestleMania.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)
I can't think of many things that would make me long for another Triple H title run, but taking the strap from Randy Resthold would be one of them.

LOL, I love that nickname :D

Doctor Doctor

http://officeoftheindependentblogger.com/2.../doctor-doctor/

Benoit's doctor has been linked to other wrestlers and even athletes, but there are no names at this time.

Is this news big enough to spark a frenzy into doctors who abuse their prescription privileges and destroy lives? It is for me, but I doubt the media cares and would bet that it turns into a firestorm for the WWE if any other wrestlers from the company have seen that doctor. Personally, I believe that WWE should have somewhere from three to five doctors that it'll allow the wrestlers to see. I know that it's a strict rule and some will complain about their privacy but it would allow the WWE to prevent steroid use in the organization and would bring credibility to their Wellness Program if they are mandating that the doctors be respectable, known doctors to avoid steroid and pill abuse.

That is, if the WWE is truly interested in curbing steroid and pill abuse in the company. Are they? I don't know. We'll see by their actions in the coming weeks. Like I've said before, I'm not defending WWE from charges that their Wellness Program should be stricter or that they should do more to oversee their wrestlers' mental and physical health. I'm defending them from charges that wrestling itself "creates monsters" and drives people to murder like I would defend matrimony from charges that marriage creates monsters and drives people to murder; I'm arguing that steroids and wrestling didn't cause this, but drugs, doctors, and a rapidly unhinged man with marital problems tag-teamed to cause this.

To more media-centered news: the Ultimate Warrior appeared on Fox, and while I know that some will ridicule him, I must say I'm impressed by the fact that he kept a level-head, didn't attempt to destroy the WWE and raised some solid points. First he argued that steroid use is good and "abuse" is bad; Hannity countered that any use is abuse if it isn't medical; Warrior said, "Roid rage for me is a pie in the sky theory that's thought of by people who have no business discussing the frame of mind of an elite physical athlete." Fair enough, I figure, and I appreciate that he isn't backing away from his prior use and defense of steroids. I also think his next point about how prescription drugs are more to blame than "roid rage" is fairer still.

Most important in his speech was his declaration that "[t]he [WWE] drug test is a ruse. It's an artiface specifically designed for the sensationalized, high-profile tragedies when people come forward and they make reasonable allegations that the talent is using drugs. It's this simple for me. For me to believe that the drug tests on the live bodies are legit, I have to believe all the autopsies on the dead bodies are lies." He also declared that "Wrestlers take steroids so they can look healthy on the outside, but they do everything else that makes them rotten on the inside. The autopsies that reveal they have enlarged hearts and enlarged organs other organs that have been affected by the steroids, that's the reason why - because they don't live healthy lives overall."

I'm not sure about what he says about steroids -- but Bryan Gumbel agrees with him. All I know is he made the points about prescription drugs that should be made and he didn't make a complete fool of himself, the wrestling industry or attempt to set fire to wrestling. For that he deserves some praise, as he cut to the chase and didn't sensationalize. Now if only he'd change his name back to Jim Hedwig, he'd be all right.

This MSNBC interview of Marc Mero and Steve Blackman is much better than anything that's been on Fox or CNN. I criticized Johnny B. Badd Marc Mero recently -- or, more accurately, I criticized his inclusion on talk shows, but after watching this video, he was very fair and, I think, accurate than many other wrestlers and definitely than the reporters themselves. He and Steve Blackman (who was also nice to see) provided great insight into the seedy world of reckless doctors (that doctor they had on replied to the question "This is not such a good thing for the medical community is it?" "Uh, certainly not. The question is were thes e prescriptions given with good reason and, uh, to what patients." If I were interviewing him, I'd have said, "What kind of sleazy dodge is that? It's clear that Benoit's doctor was corrupt and a mark on the profession, and you won't criticize him?") including doctors that come to the shows and give out steroids to all the boys.

I didn't like it when the wrestling writer said that Benoit didn't "get over" as a wrestler because of his size, and he might've been "transferring" a "size" complex, but the reason he didn't "get over" in the industry was because of bad promoting by WWE and his generally poor mic skills. Benoit's murder-suicide had nothing to do with wrestling, and I wish someone had pointed that out a bit more forcefully, but I enjoyed the interview all the same. Blackman and Mero brought a great amount of information, and Dan Adams was a fair interview.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
Say what you want about Orton, but pro wrestling is always better and more entertaining with a heel champion!

While I agree in principle about heel champs being better, I think it depends on the personality of the champion involved.

In the way back, Bruno Sammartino was the most popular champ going and the WWWF prospered under his reign.

We all know what Hogan did for wrestling.

Austin and the Rock were both champ during the E's more recent prosperous runs.

Persuasive arguments for the other side of the coin would be Ric Flair and the nWo.

So even though heel champs are more fun to me personally, an argument can be made that a charismatic face can be just as good for business. It's just a shame that the E has almost zero charismatic anyone these days.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 10:56 PM)
The World(ie. WWE) needs Chris Jericho to come back. He makes things a hell of a lot more fun.

You put Jericho and The Rock together and you get pure gold, everytime.

Edited by Rowand44

More on Benoit's Mental State

Most people are interested in Benoit’s toxicology report because they want blood proof that he was using and abusing steroids. I’m interested in his toxicology report so that I can know just what he was using when he killed his wife and then snapped on the rest of his family. I want to know what transformed a man who loved his child and was kind to everyone into a man who committed a despicable double-murder suicide.

This testimony by generally-unknown wrestler John Walters is baffling and disturbing, and it shows us — along with all the other universally kind words said of Chris Benoit — that the monster who murders his children, robs a bank or destroys a life doesn’t live in a dark apartment near an alley in an inner city far away from us: he lives right next door, inside your house, and sometimes inside of you.

The past few days have been crazy in the wrestling world. I can only imagine what Chris Benoit’s really close friends and co-workers are feeling. I have been waiting and waiting for the this whole tragedy to turn into something different, but it looks as if it is as real and gruesome as it sounds. Over a 3 year period, I did a lot of work for WWE. I was involved in about 20 dark matches, skits, heat and velocity matches, etc. I remember one night in particular, after a sunday night heat match, I was pulled aside by Chris Benoit. He told me how much he was impressed with my work and that he really liked my intensity. I was thrilled to have the endorsement of one of the finest wrestlers on the planet. From that day forward, Chris Benoit went out of his way to help me in any way I asked. He sent me instant messages encouraging me that I did a great job in my matches, he asked me to send him a tape to watch, and he was one of the first people to congratulate me on my first tour to Japan. He became a close friend over emails and phone conversations. Even about a month ago he was asking me when I would be back at WWE tv. From what I understand, he showed the same compassion to a lot of the rising stars in WWE. He made it clear that he wanted to help the next generation of stars to progress. Another thing I noticed about Chris Benoit was that he always spoke of his family. He told me about Nancy’s neck surgery and how he loved playing with his son around the house. Now, all of a sudden, this tragedy has made everyone wonder, was that the real Chris Benoit, or was it just a front. I am so confused and saddened by what happened, that is is so overwhelming to even think about. You run all of these different scenarios in your head, that it begins to drive you crazy. The fact of the matter is, 3 people are dead. Could it have been stopped? Were there warning signs? Was it planned for a long time? I don’t know the answers to any of these questions.

A friend asked me today what I thought had happened with the Benoit situation. That is, “What do you think caused him to do it?” I told her that I have no answer and don’t know more than anyone else, but if I had to guess, I’d say that Nancy told Chris she was leaving him because of their marital problems, he had a fit, they fought and then he killed her. He spent several hours soul-searching and for some reason or other decided to kill his son and himself, which would explain the timeframe, the alcohol by his body and the rambling, confused text messages he sent the WWE. I don’t know what happened, though, and I have no excuses to make for him, but I’m having trouble believing that Benoit planned to murder his wife and kids for a significant amount of time and the act doesn’t necessarily point to that, either.

To me, it seems like 1/4th tragic, terrible accident, 2/4s drug and alcohol induced stupor, 1/4th anger/sadness. Like I said, I don’t think there are any excuses, but that’s what I’ve been thinking, based on what I know.

The following is more insight into Chris Benoit’s mental state (source PWmania):

Reports are suggesting that people noticed Chris Benoit become a different person after Eddie Guerrero passed away. His wife Nancy was telling her friends that Chris Benoit’s drug usage escalated badly after Eddie Guerrero died. After the death of neighbour Mike Durham (Johnny Grudge) and Victor “Black Cat” Mar, Chris Benoit became worse. Benoit was considered to be Victor Mar’s best friend during his time in Japan and Benoit refused to attend Durham’s funeral, saying he never wanted to return to church and hated religion.

A WWE source said Nancy was a described as a basket case on Thursday, which was a day before reports suggest Benoit killed her. Nancy was upset over the recent passing of her friend, Sherri Martel. Shane Helms also said that Chris Benoit called him on Thursday to check up on how he is keeping as Helms is recovering from a neck surgery.

If you look at the whole situation, a picture begins to form of a man who had problems with his wife and drugs, but loved wrestling, wrestlers and his child. When you add in the strains of being a professional wrestler, the damage done to a human’s psyche by drug abuse, the fact that he seemed off and paranoid for awhile but continued to show support for younger wrestlers — I think we’ve got a more complicated picture than “Maniac Plans Murders.” We’ve got a tragedy, and the reason it’s a tragedy (besides the fact that two innocent people are dead, including a child) is that a man who isn’t easily depicted as a monster, who didn’t live a poor life, who wasn’t known for trouble, lost his grip on reality.

In related news, the rumor on the Internet is that the two wrestlers named in the indictment of Benoit’s doctor were Mark Jindrak, who doesn’t wrestle with WWE anymore (and didn’t amount to much while there), and Rey Mysterio Jr., who is a “Cruiserweight” (read: lightweight) and a fan favorite. If that’s true, it should be interesting to see what consequence Rey Mysterio suffers.

Big Sexy? Not to My Eyes

Former professional wrestler Kevin Nash was on Hannity & Colmes last night. The interview began with Colmes asking Nash if 'roid rage is a big problem in the wrestling industry; Nash said no. They asked him if he has done steroids; he said, No. They asked him if he had rages on the steroids; he said, no. After, they asked him if he thought that steroids could've caused it and he said, "You can't discount anything" but he clearly was, and then he pointed out that Benoit had been drinking and if you check our prisons there have probably been more alcohol-related crimes than steroid-related crimes.

At which point will the media start asking about doctors and stop asking these ridiculous questions night after night about 'roid rage? It's becoming absurd -- they ask the same questions, get the same answers, and spout off with the same nonsense each and every night. It was good of Kevin Nash to point out that they didn't care about the truth or facts or alcohol (I'd have pointed out renegade doctors) because it isn't "sexy." Someone had to say it.

A few days ago I wrote about Marc Mero as an unfair source and a couple of days later I wrote about regretting it because he appeared on MSNBC with Steve Blackman and was a fair, impartial source. He appeared on Grace's show with Blackman but this time, they had a huge argument when Mero told him to "be honest" so that they can make a difference and save families that have been abused by wrestling drugs. Blackman took offense and said, "You can't say I haven't been honest." Mero said, "You keep saying you haven't taken steroids" and they argued over it but then Marc Mero threw a fit about how Blackman should try to "make a difference" (essentially arguing that Blackman is killing people by not "speaking out," whatever that means). Blackman then spoke of personal responsibility in an attempt to defend the industry and WWE. Mero then spoke about how wrestling needs to be regulated, something I agree with in principal but not entirely due to logistical issues I've discussed before. Then Nancy Grace tried to paint professional wrestling as an industry that encourages wife-beating and violence. Steve Blackman said, "I don't see the correlation."

I was troubled by Mero's...enthusiasm, I suppose. It's nice that he cares, but he's screaming at Blackman for no reason and he's all too willing to make the industry out to be a devil's. I'm in favor of what he's saying -- since day one, I've been discussing their schedule and how it all needs to change -- but he needs to calm down and speak with eloquence, not in huge decibels.

There are two other stories coming out today that merit notice.

Fox New
s
Channel report
s
thi
s
afternoon on Chri
s
Benoit'
s
mother wi
s
hing inve
s
tigator
s
acted more quic
k
ly on information that her late
s
on wa
s
buying ma
s
s
ive quantitie
s
of
s
teroid
s
. The anchor a
s
k
ed a criminal defen
s
e attorney, Geoffrey Nathan, about the mother'
s
s
tatement. He
s
aid federal law enforcement may have loo
k
ed the other way becau
s
e they are he
s
itant to ruffle the feather
s
of big-time athlete
s
. Arthur Aidala, a former pro
s
ecutor,
s
aid there will be more inve
s
tigation into Benoit'
s
doctor, Dr. A
s
tin. "He'
s
a drug dealer who had permi
s
s
ion to
s
ign hi
s
name to a pre
s
cription," he
s
aid. The anchor noted that the doctor i
s
at ri
s
k
of charge
s
of man
s
laughter. The pro
s
ecutor
s
aid it could be tough to go that far, but definitely he'
s
on the hoo
k
for potential drug di
s
tribution charge
s

There we have something else that should be investigated: prosecutors, and their unwillingness to ruffle the feathers of doctors and athletes. Doctors, too, as I've been harping on for several days, but these two issues -- which are far more important and complicated than what the media's been discussing -- will continue to be ignored, alas. I just can't believe the government knew that he was abusing steroids and they did nothing to him or his doctor.

I'll bet that happens a lot.

Here, finally, is the obituary of Nancy and Daniel Benoit. It's very sobering.

I saw the Nash interview. It was funny when the blonde bimbo questioned Nash's credibility talking about steroids, which Nash admitted to taking at one point. Than Nash asked her is she has taken steroids and she said No, that Nash said she doesn't have credibility to talk about it either. And the lady got knocked off her high horse.

Than they had to go to commercial.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 08:24 PM)
I saw the Nash interview. It was funny when the blonde bimbo questioned Nash's credibility talking about steroids, which Nash admitted to taking at one point. Than Nash asked her is she has taken steroids and she said No, that Nash said she doesn't have credibility to talk about it either. And the lady got knocked off her high horse.

Than they had to go to commercial.

Man that lady was clueless

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to have a bunch of wrestling tapes but I gave them away years ago. Wish I had some of them like the ECW shows from 1995 and 1996.

If the Ladder Match set ever drops in price, not that it is expensive, I would probably get it.

What a bout a DVD with all the War Games matches? Granted, there were only like 8, but you can add Elimination Chamber matches and Hell in a Cell.

I bought the ladder match DVD's for $23. That's nothing.

A History of Violence

According to the latest People magazine, Nancy Sullivan-Benoit, too, had a history of violence. "Years before" marrying Chris, the magazine reports, she pulled a knife on her now ex-husband Kevin Sullivan, who was also a wrestler and a promoter (in fact, he booked Nancy and Chris into a storyline relationship that turned into a real-life storyline that led the Boys to say that Kevin Sullivan "booked his own divorce"). This, of course, leads me to believe that the violence between the couple might well have been a mutual truth. That is certainly the case in many relationships where couples will fight one another. It is of course true that there are relationships where there is only one abuser but in others, it is a two-way street. You might ask, "Why didn't they leave one another?" and I don't know the answer any more than you do. Probably a mixture of love and a sense of responsibility to each other would be my guess, but it's just a guess. That isn't to gloss over Benoit's hideous crime or justify it -- not at all, not at all -- but the story begins to make more sense if it's looked at as a domestic dispute gone terribly wrong. At this point, I'm absolutely unwilling to believe that Benoit planned any of it, which I base on the nature of domestic violence, the time between each killing, and the alcohol he was found laying next to.

If you're interested in reading the story in People, go, in order: here, here, here, here, here and here. It's an excellent piece, although the photos in it left me feeling cold and hollow.

A few days ago, I believe I mentioned the news that Nancy Benoit left a note in a security deposit box saying that if something happens to her, Chris is the man. Fox News is reporting that that is false as told them by the investigators. So Nancy left no note saying that Benoit was the one, if she were found dead.

There is nothing else to report today. I must tell you now, though, Dear Reader, that I will be gone tomorrow to the University for Orientation. If I have Internet access, I'll post. If not, expect my return on Tuesday, and I'll have an update on John Cena's appearance on Larry King along with whatever further news breaks. This weekend's been a slow one for news as the talk shows are, for the most part, off.

Konnan was on the Wrestling Observer Show this evening, and didn't hold back at all. Highlights included...

-Him leaving TNA was a combination of lies & being shorted money for the last 5 years.

-TNA offered to pay for his hip replacement and kidney transplant, but wanted the money back paid in full.

-TNA wanted to re-sign him for a lower rate, but couldnt understand why Christian & Angle were getting huge offers.

-Told Homicide & Hernandez not to leave because he was. Even though all of the mid-carders are frustrated that they're being buried.

-Also stated that BG James, Kip James, & Senshi have aked for their release, which TNA has told them no.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 02:26 AM)
Another legend gets killed tomorrow as Orton will beat Dusty Rhodes with an RKO

I will enjoy hearing "American Dream" though, but still, Orton better not get screwed

More of Orton beating up on out of shape former stars?