I'm finally off of the Podsednik bandwagon (long)

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
But we shouldn't try to upgrade, even if it's from parts already on the team, since there are more glaring needs. So it's basically fix the biggest problems and forget about the smaller ones, even though you may easily be able to fix the latter.

It's more of a gamble, not a guaranteed upgrade. Ozuna is just as bad, if not worse, with the glove and we don't know if his bat can stay hot nor if it would make up for defensive deficiencies.

Why needlessly experiment when Pods isn't that huge of a concern?? :banghead

Let's address the more serious needs and concerns first.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
So what are you complaining about then? Ozuna gets his run against lefties. Anything more than that would be basically be starting, right?

I'm saying that Mackowiak should start getting Pods' at-bats against righties. Throw a platoon of Mackowiak/Ozuna out in LF for a little while, see how it works. I can't imagine they could be much of a downgrade from Pods.

The first half of last season Podsenick was great... than in the 2nd half he slowed down but he was still hitting fine just couldnt steal worth a damn. He also came through in the playoff run as well. This season he has kind of sucked and I dont know how anyone can defend him. That being said he is better than Owens and probably better than Pablo if Pablo was a fulltime starter. And Figgins was available but with the Angels still in the running it would probably take a lot to get him.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
I really don't know what he could do as a starter, no one has ever given him a chance to play even semi-regularly. I never said he'd hit .400+ as an everyday starter but to say that you know for a fact that he couldn't put up some pretty solid offensive numbers while displaying better baserunning than podsednik seems pretty silly. Unless you're some sort of freaky deaky psychic, I'm not really sure how you can make these definative statements.

I do not hate Podsednik, I just don't think he's very good. I don't really carry grudges and hate on players for no reason.

So are we in agreement that Ozuna is just about as bad in left as Podsednik? I don't see where the upgrade would be. And what's wrong with Scott's baserunning? Have I been missing something of late?

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
It's more of a gamble, not a guaranteed upgrade. Ozuna is just as bad, if not worse, with the glove and we don't know if his bat can stay hot nor if it would make up for defensive deficiencies.

Why needlessly experiment when Pods isn't that huge of a concern?? :banghead

Let's address the more serious needs and concerns first.

I don't believe Ozuna could be much of a downgrade defensively from Pods, whereas he could be a huge upgrade offensively from him. Ozuna hustles on every single play, and we've seen Pods lose his train of thought out there or sometimes just flat out not hustle.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
The most glaring stat about Pods is the Sox record when he steals a base: 18-3. That is amazing. For a stat that is supposed to not have that much meaning, that is pretty remarkable. You can look at it two ways, he is stealing when the Sox have a lead or he is actually somehow affecting the outcome of the game. The Sox are also 42-10 when he gets a hit.

First off, it's a very large assumption to say that Pods' steals are the main factor behind the White Sox wins. There are so many variables involved, and SB's are just one of many. Perhaps Pods plays on days when the "regular 9" play. Perhaps he steals most his bases against RHP's, which the Sox fare better against. I could go on and on...

It's better to just assume his SB's add very little to the run expectancy for the inning and thus the game. SB's aren't that useful for an offense. The only way Pods should be stealing is if he's above a 80% clip. Even then, their benefit is marginal.

Call me new fashioned and a stat-head pencil pusher, but I guy that steals bases, gets on base at a .350 clip, hits for zero power in LF, and plays terrible defense as well--is not a good player. He's a replaceable player.

I hope Pods is gone next year and if he's gone and no other better options exist, Iguchi should be the leadoff hitter.

And that Verducci article is junk. Talk about misleading use of statistics.

Here are the only players with 20 or more SBs and their OBP and triples. Obviously speed and the ability to get on base or extend a hit:

Ichiro Suzuki 27SB, .398 OBP, 6 3B

Brian Roberts 22SB, .361 OBP, 2 3B

Carl Crawford 32SB, .359 OBP, 8 3B

Scott Podsednik 29SB, .353 OBP, 6 3B

Chone Figgins 33SB, .333 OBP, 4 3B

Corey Patterson 31SB, .315 OBP, 1 3B

How is Pods that much worse than any of these players offensively? I just don't see it.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
I'm saying that Mackowiak should start getting Pods' at-bats against righties. Throw a platoon of Mackowiak/Ozuna out in LF for a little while, see how it works. I can't imagine they could be much of a downgrade from Pods.

So, in essence, you're benching Pods?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
So are we in agreement that Ozuna is just about as bad in left as Podsednik? I don't see where the upgrade would be. And what's wrong with Scott's baserunning? Have I been missing something of late?

He gets thrown out a lot.

And the upgrade could possibly be a much better average and OBP.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)

The issue is not with Scotty's baserunning. It's that 100+ points of OPS (and that's factoring in Ozuna's average dropping to .310 or so) is going to mean much more offensively than stolen bases.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
Here are the only players with 20 or more SBs and their OBP and triples. Obviously speed and the ability to get on base or extend a hit:

Ichiro Suzuki 27SB, .398 OBP, 6 3B

Brian Roberts 22SB, .361 OBP, 2 3B

Carl Crawford 32SB, .359 OBP, 8 3B

Scott Podsednik 29SB, .353 OBP, 6 3B

Chone Figgins 33SB, .333 OBP, 4 3B

Corey Patterson 31SB, .315 OBP, 1 3B

How is Pods that much worse than any of these players offensively? I just don't see it.

What are all of those players respective OPS.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)
The issue is not with Scotty's baserunning. It's that 100+ points of OPS (and that's factoring in Ozuna's average dropping to .310 or so) is going to mean much more offensively than stolen bases.

And how many times have they been caught stealing/picked off.

scotty22hotty' date='Jul 10, 2006 -> 04:04 PM' post='1207789']

Stop bashing Pods

Untill we trade for Carl Crawford... Hes the best we can put out there.

Mack and Ozuna are bench players and I doubt their stats would remain impressive while playing everyday.

O_RLY.jpg

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(scotty22hotty @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Stop bashing Pods

Mack and Ozuna are bench players and I doubt their stats would remain impressive while playing everyday.

As a platoon, I'm pretty sure their at-bats would hover around the amount of at-bats they're already getting.

QUOTE(scotty22hotty @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Stop bashing Pods

Plus he's much cuter.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)

Ichiro Suzuki .845 OPS

Brian Roberts .745 OPS

Carl Crawford .880 OPS

Scott Podsednik .744 OPS

Chone Figgins .700 OPS

Corey Patterson .741 OPS

So ultimately Crawford and Ichiro have a higher OPS. Those would be the only two players that would seem to be an upgrade over Pods on offense, now D is another story altogether.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
First off, it's a very large assumption to say that Pods' steals are the main factor behind the White Sox wins. There are so many variables involved, and SB's are just one of many. Perhaps Pods plays on days when the "regular 9" play. Perhaps he steals most his bases against RHP's, which the Sox fare better against. I could go on and on...

It's better to just assume his SB's add very little to the run expectancy for the inning and thus the game. SB's aren't that useful for an offense. The only way Pods should be stealing is if he's above a 80% clip. Even then, their benefit is marginal.

Call me new fashioned and a stat-head pencil pusher, but I guy that steals bases, gets on base at a .350 clip, hits for zero power in LF, and plays terrible defense as well--is not a good player. He's a replaceable player.

I hope Pods is gone next year and if he's gone and no other better options exist, Iguchi should be the leadoff hitter.

And that Verducci article is junk. Talk about misleading use of statistics.

Now Greg's numbers plus the one game he missed said that Pods had an effect on 10 out of 21 games where he stole a base. That is 10 wins out of the teams 57, or 17.5% which is more of an effect than I ever expected.

If his Defense was not so horrible in the first half, no one would be questioned him at all. I am all for an upgrade, but I think there are more pressing issues on the team than the leadoff spot. He is probably priority #4 or 5.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
Chone Figgins appears to be available, he can put up similar offensive numbers to Podsednik while playing much better defense with an excellent arm and bring some great versatility to the team.

Can someone please explain to me why a team that is 2 games out of the lead in their division and is sporting one of the best starting staffs in the AL might be looking to sell?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
Can someone please explain to me why a team that is 2 games out of the lead in their division and is sporting one of the best starting staffs in the AL might be looking to sell?

I honestly have no idea but there have been published reports stating his availability so I mentioned his name in regard to a direct question.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
I want to make sure I got this right...

Our leadoff man is bad.

Our starting pitching is bad.

Our SS is bad.

Our CF is bad.

Did I miss anything?

No. You've got it about right. Don't forget the bullpen and the backup catcher...oh, and Iguchi sometimes when he doesn't get a hit and Gload is terrible because he made a bad baserunning play. Ozuna should be in the Hall of Fame, except when he butchers balls in left and swings at bad pitches.

This board cracks me up. I'm not a big Pods fan by any means, but everyone forgets about the games he has helped win with clutch hits.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
No. You've got it about right. Don't forget the bullpen and the backup catcher...oh, and Iguchi sometimes when he doesn't get a hit and Gload is terrible because he made a bad baserunning play. Ozuna should be in the Hall of Fame, except when he butchers balls in left and swings at bad pitches.

This board cracks me up. I'm not a big Pods fan by any means, but everyone forgets about the games he has helped win with clutch hits.

Yea, we should keep Pods around because he's clutch, dude. He's more clutch than Papi... Why is discussing a players flaws such blasphemy? You'd think Pods was a first ballot HOFer. THere is a reason the guy didn't stick around MLB until he was 27-28.

:huh

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
Yea, we should keep Pods around because he's clutch, dude. He's more clutch than Papi... Why is discussing a players flaws such blasphemy? You'd think Pods was a first ballot HOFer. THere is a reason the guy didn't stick around MLB until he was 27-28.

:huh

I didn't say you can't discuss it. I'm not one of those people who says you can't criticize players or the team. In fact, I said I'm not a big fan of his either. All I'm saying is that it's hilarious how everybody is piling on. Next game, he'll single, steal second and score the winning run and everybody will be in love with him.

There's also a reason Pablo is 32 and has never, ever been a regular for any major league team. And, a reason Mack is 30 and has never nailed down a regular spot in someone's lineup. If Kenny can trade for Chone Figgins or Crawford and not get robbed, God bless him. Seems a bit of a stretch that the Angels or Rays would trade those guys.