Check out this headline from the Detroit Free Press

brijames

QUOTE(brijames @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
TIGERS TO OPEN SERIES AT HOME

AL RULES: 2-run rally in 9th extends NL drought to 10

July 12, 2006

BY JOHN LOWE

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

When will Tiger World Series tickets be going on sale?

:huh Any team in contention late in the year has to place Playoff/World Series tickets on sale. Nothing cocky there.

Barring a HUGE breakdown, the Tigers should see the post-season.

QUOTE(brijames @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
So on July 12 you are guaranteeing the White Sox will be in the WS?

Where did I say that? I just said that a lot of people have said that around here, especially after the ASG last night.

That's funny. I like their optimism. Why not?

With our huge lead last year, weren't we talking about playoff tickets around this time?

Good for them. I can't begrudge the Tigers their success. I just can't wait to end it for them.

QUOTE(holly wiggins @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Are you sure that headline doesn't refer to the next series the Tigers play, which is at home against KC? It doesn't say "Tigers To Open World Series At Home" and I didn't read it that way. What's the rest of the article say??

The entire article is about the All-Star game. The writer is definitely referring to the World Series.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../607120434/1050

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)
You're putting a respected newspaper on the same level of a free access internet message board? :unsure:

I'll ask you to reconsider the use of the word "respected" when talking about the Detroit Free Press

QUOTE(holly wiggins @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 12:16 PM)
Are you sure that headline doesn't refer to the next series the Tigers play, which is at home against KC? It doesn't say "Tigers To Open World Series At Home" and I didn't read it that way. What's the rest of the article say??

Nope, Holly. There wasn't a thing about their next series in the piece. I think the paper's trying to have some fun.

I wonder how many letters to the editor they'll get referencing a percieved jinx? My guess is a couple of wheelbarrow loads.

You're right-- I looked up the article and there's not a word about the upcoming homestand, so the writer IS talking about the WS. Okayyyyy... The Tigers don't have the track record (in recent years) to justify that degree of confidence, so I guess it's optimism. :lol: How silly -- I mean, how nice!

I truely can't wait to see the Tigers fall here slowly in the standings. I don't think they will have a long losing streak or anything - maybe a 4 game loss streak at most - but they will will lose 3 of 5 for a good span of time. I see us going 50-24 or so here on out, and 9-4 vs the tiggers. we haven't hit our complete stride yet...just wait til Garland (on his way), Buehrle (will work it out), and either Vaz or Freddy figure it out. We will win a bunch of 6-1, 7-0, and 8-2 games. I see D-town going something like 40-34, and us taking the division over them by 8 and the twinkies by 10. They still will win the wild card, and then we can whoop them up again. i will be watching from Michigan in a month...

QUOTE(Beltin @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
What about the auto industry? Don't forget all the big healines they get coming out of Flint, MI as well.

The US auto industry in MI is on life support. Go rent Roger and Me. Then think that it's only gotten worse in the past 15 years.

Michigan has arguably the worst economy in the US right now, and it's mostly because it's lost tens of thousands of manufacturing jobs in the past 20 years.

Well even they expect to make the post season that doesnt mean World Series tickets go on sale right away. They sell the ALDS first and then so on. It is a little cocky but I do think it will work for some bulletin board material. Maybe it will get our starting pitching a little riled up.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
Well even they expect to make the post season that doesnt mean World Series tickets go on sale right away. They sell the ALDS first and then so on. It is a little cocky but I do think it will work for some bulletin board material. Maybe it will get our starting pitching a little riled up.

Not for season ticket holders. We buy them all at once.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
Do you know if it was true if new season ticket holders as of this year didnt have a world series option. My boss was gonna buy 4 seats and didnt because they said he might not have an option because of the high volume of sales

True