Garcia/Garland to the mets?

beautox

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
From everything I read, Zito would be available provided you gave Beane the right combo of players. Schmidt also might be available.

Regardless, we are talking about Freddy Garcia. You might give him the tag of "best starting pitcher available" but that really is meaningless. We've both seen Garcia pitch for the entire season. There's no way in the world I would give up our best prospects (Anderson, Fields, McCarthy) to trade for him if some other GM made him available.

agreed from a white sox prespective, but you move him to the NL and his stats go down drasticly.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)
That wasn't my argument. I don't give a damn who said Milledge wasn't available, the same bulls*** was said about Grady Sizemore and the Indians netted alot more than just him alone for Colon.

So don't try pass off crap and say that I'm arguing something im not.

Bull.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
Saying Lastings Milledge isn't available for Barry Zito is just ridiculous. That was an outburst after New York fans were calling for his head after the two errors he made in Fenway.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
I think things change. The mets are in a diar need for starting pitching, saying months prior that Milledge isn't available no longer has any meaning.

Once again, things change.

I actually agree with you on this. However, I think they'd try to get back into the Willis race or go after someone like Schmidt. I can't see Minaya giving up Milledge for Garcia and Vazquez. Vazquez didn't exactly impress the New York community when he was there with the Yankees. If the Mets really coveted him, he would have been traded to them in the offseason.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)
That wasn't my argument. I don't give a damn who said Milledge wasn't available, the same bulls*** was said about Grady Sizemore and the Indians netted alot more than just him alone for Colon.

So don't try pass off crap and say that I'm arguing something im not.

When Minaya traded for Colon, his ERA was about half of what Garcia's is right now. Phillips I believe was actually the biggest name in the deal. He was supposed to be a stud, although Sizemore was very well reguarded.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
i think this is bulls***, east coast bias made-up. the mets have nothing that we need... we won't be getting beltran to play centerfield, we're not looking for prospects, and their pen is not that good.

i take no stock in this rumour.

thats not entirely true Steve, KW said that they would be looking for prospects at the trade deadline for the future, it was with regards to Politte but that mentality is there.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was Bartolo Colon. He's a little different than Freddy Garcia throwing 86, and it was a trade he can learn from.

There are there differences between the two as you mentioned, but the deal was made completely mortaging the future of that Expos franchise, for a month or two of Colon.

I think him being under contract for another year, regardless of what he's owed, is something that will spike his value.

If the Mets thought they could change Victor Zambrano into a prize, they certainly think the same about Freddy Garcia?

No?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:19 AM)
If the Mets really coveted him, he would have been traded to them in the offseason.

I don't know about that, the Dbacks got a pretty damn good return for Javy.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
If the Mets thought they could change Victor Zambrano into a prize, they certainly think the same about Freddy Garcia?

No?

Different gm.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
I think things change. The mets are in a diar need for starting pitching, saying months prior that Milledge isn't available no longer has any meaning.

Once again, things change.

And once again, we are talking about Freddy Garcia. At best, a middle of the road starter with an 86-mph fastball. I'm sure the Royals would gladly take lesser prospects for Scott Elarton.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
I don't know about that, the Dbacks got a pretty damn good return for Javy.

Ha, no kidding. What I meant was that enough time went by this summer where if the Mets wanted him, they could have jumped in on the bidding. And why would the Mets care about Garcia being locked up next year? With their money, they could either try to trade for Willis then or sign Zito/Schmidt. They're rumored to be a big player for Zito, and having Garcia's contract on the books would only hurt them.

I'm going to make the prediction that we don't trade any of our starters this year.

You guys are giving Minaya too much credit, wasn't he the one that traded Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano in his first year as Mets GM? I think Minaya is the type of GM that will give up a lot if you play your cards right.

This deal needs to be centered around Lastings Milledge, the Mets are the ones that NEED Garcia. We really don't have a deep as a hole to fill as the Mets do.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
You guys are giving Minaya too much credit, wasn't he the one that traded Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano in his first year as Mets GM? I think Minaya is the type of GM that will give up a lot if you play your cards right.

This deal needs to be centered around Lastings Milledge, the Mets are the ones that NEED Garcia. We really don't have a deep as a hole to fill as the Mets do.

No -- read the thread. Different gm.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 09:22 AM)

NO, Minaya was not the one who made that deal.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
Garcia has been pitching like the 5th starter from years ago to the AL this year. So take that for what its worth.

Well, as frustrating as Garcia has been this year, that is far from the case. Back in 2004, I would have taken the 2006 Garcia over the cast of characters we were throwing out there every fifth day.

Either way, I'm still in favor of trading him. But a potential injury still scares the bejesus out of me.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
agreed from a white sox prespective, but you move him to the NL and his stats go down drasticly.

I don't know about that. He would be pitching in a bigger park, but he lets lots of hitters get on base now, and when they get there, they run wild. Freddy Garcia 2006 is a completely different pitcher from anything we have seen from him earlier. He could easily turn into a total disaster. I'm not a fan of Vazquez, but in the playoffs I'd rather have him pitching than Freddy throwing up his junk.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)

If KW gets Sanchez and Milledge for Garcia then he must have some hypno-super powers. That would make him godlike in the GM world.

But it taint happening. Milledge isnt coming here.

Edited by southsideirish71

I don't see Mackowiak going anywhere this year.

Tim Kurkjian on BB 2nite said the Mets were looking at Livan Hernandez and didn't mention the Sox. That is actually a pretty good sign that something is in the works, because everyone knows how KW works.

Maybe the Sox could get Castro back with the deal.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)
NO, Minaya was not the one who made that deal.

my mistake, it was duquette. Still, I don't even consider this deal if Milledge isn't involved. I'd rather have flash.

Edited by CWSOX45

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
There are there differences between the two as you mentioned, but the deal was made completely mortaging the future of that Expos franchise, for a month or two of Colon.

I think him being under contract for another year, regardless of what he's owed, is something that will spike his value.

No?

Actually, Colon had another year on his contract. Minaya made the 3 way which netted the Sox Colon. Minaya wound up with crap, Liefer, Biddle and an injured El Duque.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
I don't know about that. He would be pitching in a bigger park, but he lets lots of hitters get on base now, and when they get there, they run wild. Freddy Garcia 2006 is a completely different pitcher from anything we have seen from him earlier. He could easily turn into a total disaster. I'm not a fan of Vazquez, but in the playoffs I'd rather have him pitching than Freddy throwing up his junk.

Does anyone want to see Freddy throwing 85-88 mph fastballs in the playoffs. And the idea that he is using good stuff against good teams should of went out the window when he was junkballing the Bosox. He doesnt have a fastball anymore for whatever reason.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
I don't see Mackowiak going anywhere this year.

Tim Kurkjian on BB 2nite said the Mets were looking at Livan Hernandez and didn't mention the Sox. That is actually a pretty good sign that something is in the works, because everyone knows how KW works.

Maybe the Sox could get Castro back with the deal.

You mean the back-up catcher? I'll pass. He has some attitude issues. The thing people forget about Widger is that he's our player rep. Thus, he's going nowhere during the season.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
I'm shocked that Garcia' stock has hit rock bottom amongst fans.

It hasn't hit rock bottom as he can still bring in some decent value. That being said, he isn't going to bring in one of the best hitting prospects in baseball. It's just not happening.