Sunday Yankees vs Whitesox 7/16/06 Gamethread

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
Freddy's a big game pitcher

I laugh at anyone who says they'd want him starting a big game. Contreras is far and away the only pitcher we have who can consistently shut down the top teams.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
What is Gordon, 38? He's signed a 3 year deal worth $18 million. That's a huge gamble for teams to take on.

I think its a bigger gamble to pay Garcia $9 million next season and trot him out to the mound every 5th day. People sitting in the bleachers may get hurt, lawsuits will follow.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
What is Gordon, 38? He's signed a 3 year deal worth $18 million. That's a huge gamble for teams to take on.

But a power pitcher who lost his power and decided to be a finesse pitcher and is signed to a fairly weighty deal isn't? We aren't going to get back someone that doesn't have a little risk for someone like Freddy.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
Yeah, that 1-0 shutout in the World Series game clincher wasn't a big deal. Or that clincher in 2005. Nothing special about game 3 of the ALDS

Different pitcher this year though. Without the velocity, he might as well have a blank slate for what he's done in the past.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
Yet some people still think that's not enough of a return.

Its not. We aren't about to trade freddy for a damn near 40 year old reliever, not unless the team is also getting something for the future. I don't care how bad Freddy has been, a guy with his repetoire, his proven track-record of success, and his ability to pitch in the post-season, will allow the Sox to get a MAJOR package as if he were available he'd be one of the premiere pitchers on the market.

Mack held to a single as the ball down the line hit that stupid corner.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
Yeah, that 1-0 shutout in the World Series game clincher wasn't a big deal. Or that clincher in 2005. Nothing special about game 3 of the ALDS

That was last year. Tom Seaver pitched some great games, I don't think I'd want him on the mound right now.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)

At least Gordon looks good now. On the other hand, we KNOW Garcia sucks while still having $15M left on his deal, so what's your point?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
Those are people who still think we're going to see the greatest rotation in history come around. I don't care about career averages or trends...all you have to do is watch Garcia pitch, and he's just begging to get crushed in his starts.

You can't deny that teams would give up upper echelon prospects for him though, teams like the Mets, Yankees, or Cardinals.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
Its not. We aren't about to trade freddy for a damn near 40 year old reliever, not unless the team is also getting something for the future. I don't care how bad Freddy has been, a guy with his repetoire, his proven track-record of success, and his ability to pitch in the post-season, will allow the Sox to get a MAJOR package as if he were available he'd be one of the premiere pitchers on the market.

Mack held to a single as the ball down the line hit that stupid corner.

I think you're thinking best case scenario.

What he did last year is completely irrelevant when his pitching has completely changed this season. He is NOT the same pitcher this year. The pitches are different. The velocity is different. And he doesn't know how to pitch effectively with the stuff he has this year. He has been consistently bad.

You can give him his lifetime achievement award, and I'll give him his DFA.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:35 PM)
You can't deny that teams would give up upper echelon prospects for him though, teams like the Mets, Yankees, or Cardinals.

I don't think he'd bring back nearly as much as is discussed on here. Scouts aren't stupid....they see the same lack of velocity we do. I'd just as much see Garcia on the DL, and McCarthy in his place. It would give us a better chance to win on the day of that start.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)

Do you think other GMs aren't seeing him pitch? Gordon will help us more now than Freddy. If that's on the table, get it done and don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I don't understand your thinking at all.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)

I can deny that, though. At least in this market. I can't imagine they won't be able to do better if they're willing to deal Milledge and Hughes.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
This DFA fad is hilarious

Especially seeing how most people on here probably didn't even know what it meant until recently and a lot of them still don't know what it means.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
Do you think other GMs aren't seeing him pitch? Gordon will help us more now than Freddy. If that's on the table, get it done and don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I don't understand your thinking at all.

I don't care that they are seeing him pitch, they know the guy has done it and as recently as last year. Plus he's had streaks this year where he was doing it. Teams in the race would f***ing love to pick up a guy like Garcia and see what they could do and they'd give up a fortune.

For crap sakes the Drays get an upper echelon catching prospect for Mark Hendrickson and the Angels got a solid outfield prospect with some pop for Jeff Weaver. You guys are kidding yourselves if you don't think we could swing him to a team like the Mets for a top notch pitching prospect and maybe a guy like Heilman.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:35 PM)

Would you give up upper echelon prospect for Freddy? We're just as desperate for dependable starters as those teams.