Sunday Yankees vs Whitesox 7/16/06 Gamethread

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
If I'm the Cards, I'd give up whatever it took for Freddy. If I'm the Mets I'd trade Pelfrey for Freddy. The guy hasn't been near as bad as a lot of you think he has this year. Not saying he's been good either, but he's had runs where he's been just fine and he's still throwing innings. Sure there is a concern he's not throwing hard but I think physically he's fine.

Look at it this way, The Cards got s*** in the rotation, the Mets got 2 guys in there rotation and they both need help if they want to even think about a World Series win against any of these AL teams.

I'm asking if you were GM of the White Sox and our 5th starter slot was filled by Felix Diaz or whoever, would you give up someone like Josh Fields for Garcia? I sure wouldn't.

As far as the Cards and Mets, their rotation would still be s*** with Freddy.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
I don't mean to insult, but are you kidding? A team in a pennant race would trace FOR Garcia? Do you think a team in a pennant race would trade for a pitcher who has been nearly an automatic loss spot in the roation? No team in a race would want him. No one could risk it. You don't pick up a reclamation project and put him in your rotation for a stretch run.

10-5...5 games over .500, how is that an automatic loss.

reclamation project, lol

apparently the DFA is already done

Garcia isn't a guy who is pitching the same as he always has, but just isn't getting the job done. For the entirety of this season, his stuff has been completely different from how it used to be. Do you think that is just going to magically turn itself around? I'll guarantee you that no other GM thinks it will. Anyone who thinks there is a good trade market for Garcia and that GM's are lining up to give away key players for him is living in the most interesting and odd fantasy world.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
What about people willing to trade for Schmidt last year when he was pitching mediocre because people expected to pick him up and turn things around. Than Schmidt went on a bit of a run and obviously he was never sent.

And I can't believe your actually comparing Hendrickson to Garcia and saying Hendrickson should get more trade value. We are talking about a guy who couldn't hold Garcia's jock strap.

Over their careers yes, but not this season.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
I'm asking if you were GM of the White Sox and our 5th starter slot was filled by Felix Diaz or whoever, would you give up someone like Josh Fields for Garcia? I sure wouldn't.

I'd give up more and take my chances that his numbers (since for the most part his stuff is still there, albeit i'm the first to admit his FB isn't near what it once was, but its not like he doesn't have plus breaking stuff) would get closer to his career trends.

And if we had Freddy Garcia (this one) in our rotation we may have another world series ring since we had to suffer through that s*** with Diaz when we had Colon/Elo/Buehrle in the rotation all kicking butt and taking names.

And I should mention the Cards rotation doesn't just have guys like Diaz, they got a few guys like Diaz.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Garcia isn't a guy who is pitching the same as he always has, but just isn't getting the job done. For the entirety of this season, his stuff has been completely different from how it used to be. Do you think that is just going to magically turn itself around? I'll guarantee you that no other GM thinks it will. Anyone who thinks there is a good trade market for Garcia and that GM's are lining up to give away key players for him is living in the most interesting and odd fantasy world.

I think you overreact. A lot.

10-5...5 games over .500, how is that an automatic loss.

Ok, I'll correct myself: He's been a guy who almost always need massive run support in order for his team to win when he starts. Basically, you can get that from your best AAA starter.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)
Nice hit PK....nice hustle Jim :(

What the f*** was that Thome. We shoudl have runners on 2nd and 3rd now with 1 out but instead 2 down and Paulie in position. Come on Dye, come up with the clutch hit here.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)

I would in a heartbeat. Freddy has 10 wins this year and a decent WHIP even though his ERA is high. Yes his velocity is down, but Diaz would be an automatic loss every 5 days. The Mets are looking at the prospect of Jose f***ing Lima. You can't tell me Freddy isn't better than that.

Big AB for Dye here, let's tie this game back up.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:53 PM)
Jim Thome is the one guy I'm not gonna fault on the basepaths. He knows he slow as heck, but he f***in sprints everytime.

I absolutely agree.....things just are s***ty right now. I'm grateful for the off day again tomorrow.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
When is the White Sox staff going to do something about the atrocious baserunning. Quit defending Thome DJ. He didn't hustle into second.

Thome walking into second costs the Sox a run.

That ball was hit straight at the 2b, no? He had to hold up in case it was a line drive.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
If you'd like to enlighten me on whose available in this market with so many teams in contention?

Jason Schmidt isn't available unless a team is giving up a pretty damn good starting pitcher back to the Giants.

So if you guys know of any pitchers who are proven winners on the market, do tell.

I wouldn't count out Schmidt, nor Zito, especially if Harden makes some progress in his recovery. Smoltz could be moved. Then you have to lump Freddy in with the 2nd tier guys, Livan Hernandez, Jon Lieber, Tony Armas. So if all the top tier guys are called untouchable, and all the teams owning the 2nd tier guys demand the very best prospects, then you could perhaps command that price for Freddy. I just don't see that happening.